• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Schooner Coronet: Racing Into History

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I just finished watching a new TV show on our local PBS station called Ultimate Restorations. I don't watch a lot of TV any more because in the US is it mostly just cheaply made reality shows just trying to milk ratings. This one however got my attention. The show follows a small group of restoration experts as they help preserve timeless pieces of American history. In this case, they were restoring the racing yacht Coronet.

20100807134448!Yacht_Coronet_%281885%29%28Detroit-Publishing_Co_1894-LOC%29.jpg

Information and mage from Wikipedia

She was was designed by William Townsend, and built in 1885 by the C. & R. Poillon shipyard in Brooklyn, New York. She was built on the order of Rufus T. Bush, who used her to compete against Caldwell Hart Colt's yacht Dauntless in March 1887. After winning the $10,000 prize for the 3000 mile race, he promptly put the yacht up for sale. One of the later owners, Frank Weston Sandford, sailed her around Cape Horn on his trip circumnavigating the globe.

In the show, they tell a bit more about her history, but spend most of the time showing some original ship building techniques, and explain quite a good deal about how a boat is put together. If you live in the US, check your local PBS stations listing, this one is well worth watching! If you live outside the US, keep checking Youtube. I am sure someone will upload it there eventually. I'll post a link if they ever release it on DVD.

From their web page :

Of all the grand yachts of America’s gilded age, only one remains intact, the magnificent 132 foot racing schooner, Coronet. Built in 1885, Coronet earned famed as a transatlantic race winner. She circumnavigated the globe as one of the first US registered yachts to round Cape Horn. Kept barely afloat by a missionary community until the 1990’s, she’s currently being re-built, restored and pieced back together like a giant jig saw puzzle. A massive restoration that will ready her, once again, to round the fabled Cape Horn.

Where you can also watch four minutes of outakes from episode one of the Coronet Restoration. You can also watch two more excerpts from the show in the Extras section.

Here is the trailer for the series posted on their Youtube Channel :

As you saw in the trailer, one of the previous projects they have done was the Cangarda, the Last American Steam Yacht. Here is the trailer from Youtube for that one!

Back