• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved To San Juan Quest

Sam_Madden

Landlubber
Hi,

I have encountered a problem during the “To San Juan” quest.

I’ve spoken to the old bloke at the lighthouse, continued through the storm cut scene, landed on the shore of Bonaire (I think). I’ve spoken to the citizen who has said my ship and crew are gone.

Now when I go to the pirate fort, I speak to the pirates walking around, the tavern keeper and captain pinto (who is supposed to give you a ride out of there). None of these give me a quest update or have any dialogue for the quest.

The pirate leader says something to me about the idols, however that is for a previous quest when you have to retrieve the idols for Silehard, where I just sunk the ship and went ashore to retrieve them.

I was wondering if there is a known issue with this “to San Juan” quest, or if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance

In the stock game, and possibly some old mod versions, you need to walk all the way to town, ask in the tavern there, then walk all the way back to the pirate fort.

In any recent mod, you should be able to go straight to the pirate fort. The pirate leader is not involved. You should just talk to a wandering pirate who tells you about Pinto, then go into the tavern.

In the stock game, and possibly some old mod versions, you need to walk all the way to town, ask in the tavern there, then walk all the way back to the pirate fort.

In any recent mod, you should be able to go straight to the pirate fort. The pirate leader is not involved. You should just talk to a wandering pirate who tells you about Pinto, then go into the tavern.

Yep if I go to main town the tavern is locked. So that has been changed in the mod.

I go straight to the pirate fort, I talk to wandering pirates, but they don’t mention anything quest related. I go into the tavern, the tavern keeper mentions nothing.

However captain pinto is there but he tells me to “get lost”

Can you upload a savegame? You'll need to archive it with something like 7-Zip first.

Ive uploaded a save in Bonaire jungles, just before you go to the pirate fort.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• -=Sam=- Bonaire.zip
    933.8 KB · Views: 221
Sorry, I've been a bit busy with other things, but I have now been able to check that savegame. First, about which game you're using:
The latest one I believe.
That turns out not to be entirely accurate. ;) I tried loading the savegame into the current version, which declared it to be an incompatible save. "compile.log" showed that I'd been trying to load a game for version 14.932. That version dates back to May 2016!

Fortunately, I have plenty of disk space and copies of almost all the older installers, so I was able to create an install based on the May 2016 installer. That version did indeed load your savegame.

When you go into the pirate fort, the first thing that happens is that a pirate talks to you, starting by saying "You've been falling behind, captain. Keep pace." This guy is involved with the quest to retrieve Silehard's idols! I don't know why he's there if you solved that one by attacking the ship with the idols; that's how I generally get the idols as well, except that I capture the ship rather than sink it, and I never have anything to do with this pirate. He's the cause of your problem.

The game keeps track of where you are in the main quest and when you arrive at Bonaire after the storm, it takes note of this. Anacleto Rui Sa Pinto then knows to talk to you about hiring you. But when you have finished talking to that pirate from the idols quest, the game now thinks you're looking for the idols. So Anacleto Rui Sa Pinto won't talk about hiring, whereas Alistair Garcilaso, the pirate leader, thinks he has to talk to you about idols.

Download this file and put it in your "PROGRAM" folder, overwriting the "console.c" which is already there. Load your savegame and go to the pirate fort. When you've talked to the pirate, press F12 to activate the console. That should put the game back on track by setting the quest to the point after you talked to the citizen on Bonaire shore. I've tried it and, after pressing F12, I can then talk to Anacleto Rui Sa Pinto about either taking his ship or paying him to take me to San Juan.

Attachments

• console.c
    35.3 KB · Views: 221
Sorry, I've been a bit busy with other things, but I have now been able to check that savegame. First, about which game you're using:
That turns out not to be entirely accurate. ;) I tried loading the savegame into the current version, which declared it to be an incompatible save. "compile.log" showed that I'd been trying to load a game for version 14.932. That version dates back to May 2016!

Fortunately, I have plenty of disk space and copies of almost all the older installers, so I was able to create an install based on the May 2016 installer. That version did indeed load your savegame.

When you go into the pirate fort, the first thing that happens is that a pirate talks to you, starting by saying "You've been falling behind, captain. Keep pace." This guy is involved with the quest to retrieve Silehard's idols! I don't know why he's there if you solved that one by attacking the ship with the idols; that's how I generally get the idols as well, except that I capture the ship rather than sink it, and I never have anything to do with this pirate. He's the cause of your problem.

The game keeps track of where you are in the main quest and when you arrive at Bonaire after the storm, it takes note of this. Anacleto Rui Sa Pinto then knows to talk to you about hiring you. But when you have finished talking to that pirate from the idols quest, the game now thinks you're looking for the idols. So Anacleto Rui Sa Pinto won't talk about hiring, whereas Alistair Garcilaso, the pirate leader, thinks he has to talk to you about idols.

Download this file and put it in your "PROGRAM" folder, overwriting the "console.c" which is already there. Load your savegame and go to the pirate fort. When you've talked to the pirate, press F12 to activate the console. That should put the game back on track by setting the quest to the point after you talked to the citizen on Bonaire shore. I've tried it and, after pressing F12, I can then talk to Anacleto Rui Sa Pinto about either taking his ship or paying him to take me to San Juan.

Thanks so much, works perfectly now!
I wonder why the game didn't update once I sunk the ship with the idols, unless you have to go through the jungle and to the fort to exchange that dialogue.

Anyways, thanks again. I appreciate your time.

You really ought to get a more modern version of the game. But not until you've finished "Tales of a Sea Hawk" because installing a newer version will make your savegames unusable. When you're ready, have a look at the first post of this thread:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 25 May 2018][Beta 28 May 2018]
It won't fix that peculiar bug but it will fix several other bugs associated with "Tales of a Sea Hawk", plus plenty more associated with the game in general; and it has all sorts of other good stuff added over the last two years.

That version dates back to May 2016!
Which version was that? The date sounds familiar; could it be the original Build 14 Beta 4 release that I put on ModDB and that stuck around for a long time afterwards?

Version 14.932. I'm not sure what was originally on ModDB, but I'd have thought it would at least have been the July 2016 version. That was the last version before the various experiments later in 2016. The next version to go into general circulation was the 7th January 2017 version; I don't know now whether that went onto ModDB or whether it was only available from this forum.

Version 14.932. I'm not sure what was originally on ModDB, but I'd have thought it would at least have been the July 2016 version. That was the last version before the various experiments later in 2016.
Hmm... Now you mention it, you might be right.

The next version to go into general circulation was the 7th January 2017 version; I don't know now whether that went onto ModDB or whether it was only available from this forum.
For certain I never posted it on ModDB; and I don't think anyone else did either.
We did forum-only releases for quite a while.

Back