• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Total Noob - Need Help (Combat, Crew, Money)

jools

Landlubber
Hey all, first post for me. I played that POTC spinoff when it came out, to a certain degree of success (well, I did complete it and remember being pretty decent at it), so I've recently bought TEHO in the hope of a similar, somewhat up-to-date, experience.

Apart for restarting the game twice because the tutorial bugged out (third time I just skipped it), I got most mechanics right, and am learning the ropes. Two MAJOR issues remain, with which I need some help.

Context: I still run my first and only ship, the lugger Adeline, crew is down to 17, I got the navigator guy and Tichingitu (currently as a boarder, because he can't cover any other post). I got about 6000 pesos, and the ship is fully stocked. I can take on pirate luggers or ships of similar class, even with twice as much crew, no big deal. The problem is, I need to thin down their crew a low and then let my crew do all the fighting, and these ships rarely have any decent loot.

Issues:

Melee combat - I can rely on my crew to get through boardings (I hire in a corner and let them do everything), because I absolutely suck at it (despite having chosen the "fencing&acrobatics" profile at the beginning, and having found a decent stocco, somewhere). Last time I fought a pirate captain in his cabin, I had to drink 3 potions during the encounter to prevail.

How do I get better? What do I need to do? Is there a way to capture a ship WITHOUT that 1vs1 fight with the captain at the end? How do I make ships "surrender"?

Crew - I need crew. With 17 men, my ship can barely turn, and it's a pain in the arse to manage. I've been around all the taverns in Martinique and Guadelupe, and there is NEVER any crew for hire. No basic crew, no officers. How do I go about this? Where can I hire more men, especially basic crew?

Money - I need money, especially to pay the crew. So far I've been scumsaving (yeah, I know) with gambling, but it's not really effective, and I might as well just use a trainer instead, BUT I'd rather avoid that. I picked up a quest from the governor in Guadelupe, but he wanted me to capture some Spanish guy near Maracaibo, and the fight was just impossible, I could barely take 10hp off his health. There don't seem to be any other missions/quests around. How do I make money? Can I try some trading between these ports (I tried mooring at an Enlish port but that wasn't even an option)? Are there bounties or something?

Hey, sorry for the tirade, I'm really enjoying the game, and would like to continue enjoying it, but these are really getting in the way, and I must assume I'm taking the wrong approach...

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Hello, I have some tips to help you.

MELEE: For melee, you got to fight more to get better at it. Early game, I highly recommend using grapeshot to pummel the crew to the lowest bar. (SAVE each time after you fire a volley, so you can return to the previous save if you lose crewmen) It's possible. I once took a Brigantine with the Adeline, hard work but was worth it. If you want a crew to surrender to you, first you must outnumber them, the pirate brigantine surrendered to me because I had thrice her crew. But how did I get so much crew...money. NOTE: The lesser men on the enemy ship, the weaker they are during boarding. Vice versa.

MONEY: Do courier missions, transport cargo for shop owners. You can easily make a million, gradually but easily.

CREW: Once you have a good amount of money (I recommend atleast 50 000, easily earned from courier missions), hire more men at the tavern. If there aren't any then hire at the streets. Sometimes sailors will be walking around the streets. Approach them and the dialogue will be about them wanting to join your crew. NOTE: Pay your men, let that be the first thing to bear in mind before buying anything. Without payment, no men will want to sail with you unless you pay them next time.

Hoped this helped. I admit, TEHO is more demanding and not as easy as CoAS. But once you start with the Dutch Gambit quest, you will a professional in no time, with million of pesos and a unique class 4 ship. Have fun!

Hello, I have some tips to help you.

MELEE: For melee, you got to fight more to get better at it. Early game, I highly recommend using grapeshot to pummel the crew to the lowest bar. (SAVE each time after you fire a volley, so you can return to the previous save if you lose crewmen) It's possible. I once took a Brigantine with the Adeline, hard work but was worth it. If you want a crew to surrender to you, first you must outnumber them, the pirate brigantine surrendered to me because I had thrice her crew. But how did I get so much crew...money. NOTE: The lesser men on the enemy ship, the weaker they are during boarding. Vice versa.

MONEY: Do courier missions, transport cargo for shop owners. You can easily make a million, gradually but easily.

CREW: Once you have a good amount of money (I recommend atleast 50 000, easily earned from courier missions), hire more men at the tavern. If there aren't any then hire at the streets. Sometimes sailors will be walking around the streets. Approach them and the dialogue will be about them wanting to join your crew. NOTE: Pay your men, let that be the first thing to bear in mind before buying anything. Without payment, no men will want to sail with you unless you pay them next time.

Hoped this helped. I admit, TEHO is more demanding and not as easy as CoAS. But once you start with the Dutch Gambit quest, you will a professional in no time, with million of pesos and a unique class 4 ship. Have fun!

Great advice, I just want to add that in my case follow the guide of Darketernis was very useful to start a good game and if you follow the plot of the game is almost mandatory reading to finish certain missions.

Steam Community :: Guide :: Full English Guide and Walkthrough for Sea Dogs: To Each His Own

I don't know if my game is bugged or something, but there are NO quest available, anywhere, whatsoever. Nor sailors to be recruited. All the npcs (storeowners, harbor master, etc) shut me down with a single "no" option when trying to talk business. The only ones with some kind of quest are governors, but those quests are literally impossible at my level.

Even the barkeep has only the "room" dialogue option, and shuts me down when I try the "wanna ask you some questions" dialogue...

It's getting really frustrating.

I don't know if my game is bugged or something, but there are NO quest available, anywhere, whatsoever. Nor sailors to be recruited. All the npcs (storeowners, harbor master, etc) shut me down with a single "no" option when trying to talk business. The only ones with some kind of quest are governors, but those quests are literally impossible at my level.

Even the barkeep has only the "room" dialogue option, and shuts me down when I try the "wanna ask you some questions" dialogue...

It's getting really frustrating.
Odd... what quests have you done? Did you decline or fail any quests?

I played that POTC spinoff when it came out, to a certain degree of success (well, I did complete it and remember being pretty decent at it)
You mean the original 2003 game?

I've recently bought TEHO in the hope of a similar, somewhat up-to-date, experience.
You can find a massive update for the 2003 PotC game here too:
POTC: New Horizons Mod
Latest update: literally today. :cheeky

Iv got a stupid question but did u returned to ur brother after talking with fadey and geting tichingitu? i mean do u can use crafting?
cuz if not then the 1st quest is not finished yet and so noone will offer u any quest nor u will be able to hire any new crew mwmbers

Back