• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot Confirm Unarmed Indians

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Replaying "Ardent" to test the latest work, I visited the Hispaniola Inca temple, where I found some of the Indians were unarmed. Hitting one of these causes a reputation loss for attacking a character who has not drawn a weapon, so I had to be careful - if someone charged at me, I had to look to see if he was waving a weapon before swiping at him. The unarmed ones charged at me, stopped, then followed me around. By the time I got to the top of the temple, I had three companions:
three_little_indians.jpg

On the way out of the temple, it became just plain silly:
eight_little_indians.jpg

Also attached is a savegame in case you can figure out why they're unarmed.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Hispaniola.zip
    794.9 KB · Views: 305
That's weird. I thought that worked last time I tested it.

Oh well, back to testing and fixing it is.... :facepalm

Do you happen to have the Ammo Mod switched off? I wonder if that might break it like that....

No, I always have Ammo Mod enabled. (Which is why I didn't realise there was a problem with the bow accessories you get as a reward in "Ardent" until someone else played it with Ammo Mod off.)

Some Indians were properly armed - most of them on the way in, and a few of them on the way out. Also, I've played that scene before in earlier tests of "Ardent" and never had this happen. Has something new been done to the code governing Indians?

@Grey Roger: Can you post your compile.log, please? I need to check which exact modpack version you're running.
I loaded your savegame, exited the location, then entered again and every Indian had bow, arrow and tomahawk as appropriate.

I have a vague memory that @ANSEL or @Hylie Pistof reported this same problem before.
But I fixed that quite a while back and now I cannot confirm your report.

Same here - I reloaded the savegame, went to the jungle, returned to the temple, and all the Indians were suitably armed. So it's not consistent - but then it never was, or I'd have noticed this in earlier runs through "Ardent".

Anyway, here's a "compile.log" from after reloading the savegame.
Code:
Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP: 22 May 2016
Savegame Compatibility: 14.932

Attachments

• compile.log
    4.2 KB · Views: 168
Same here - I reloaded the savegame, went to the jungle, returned to the temple, and all the Indians were suitably armed. So it's not consistent - but then it never was, or I'd have noticed this in earlier runs through "Ardent".
Just to be sure, I tested it twice in a row. Would have expected at least one unarmed indian that way. :unsure

Anyway, here's a "compile.log" from after reloading the savegame.
That's definitely the latest version, so that seems OK.
Unless.... There were TWO "Beta 4 Final main archive files". Is there any chance that you might have done a clean install from the first, but not the second?
It may be possible that could result in missing out on the fixes created inbetween those two.

To rule out that possibility, I recommend making a completely clean install based on the latest Beta 4.1 WIP installer, then doing s full WinMerge compare with your own game files.
That should show you only changes that you yourself made; if there are any that aren't yours, you should add them to your own game files.

Alternatively, you can also upload your entire PROGRAM folder so that I can double-check it.
But I won't be able to do that for at least another 8 hours (if not more).

It's true that I installed the 22nd May update as update only. I certainly did a clean install based on the only "Beta 4 Final main archive" I've ever seen, and can't remember whether I did a clean install or update only with the April version. Then the 22nd May update went on top of that.

Do you happen to remember what you fixed to deal with this problem? Then I can check if the fix is in place in my install. Otherwise I'll do a clean install with the next update and report again if the problem with unarmed Indians reappears.

It's true that I installed the 22nd May update as update only. I certainly did a clean install based on the only "Beta 4 Final main archive" I've ever seen, and can't remember whether I did a clean install or update only with the April version. Then the 22nd May update went on top of that.
The correct "Beta 4 Final main archive" is dated 31 March 2016. There was also an April version, but that one is outdated.
Check the extension of the file you've got. If it is ".cab" then you definitely have the old version. The correct new one is ".tar" (due to ModDB upload restrictions).

Do you happen to remember what you fixed to deal with this problem? Then I can check if the fix is in place in my install.
I don't remember exactly, no. Files to check are:
PROGRAM\LandEncounters\Enc_monsters.c
PROGRAM\Loc_ai\LAi_monsters.c
or some of the other files in the PROGRAM\Loc_ai folder
It was probably one of those.

Otherwise I'll do a clean install with the next update and report again if the problem with unarmed Indians reappears.
When you say "Next Update", you mean an upcoming update that I didn't make yet?
I do intend to make another one soon, possibly this weekend. But I wanted to check and try to fix some more issues first.

The correct "Beta 4 Final main archive" is dated 31 March 2016. There was also an April version, but that one is outdated.
Check the extension of the file you've got. If it is ".cab" then you definitely have the old version. The correct new one is ".tar" (due to ModDB upload restrictions).
Yes, that's what I have - ".tar". The April version wasn't a main archive, it was an installer, and is indeed outdated, which is why I've run the 22nd May installer on top of it. ;)

When you say "Next Update", you mean an upcoming update that I didn't make yet?
I do intend to make another one soon, possibly this weekend. But I wanted to check and try to fix some more issues first.
Yes, when you release the next update (this weekend, this month, next month or whenever you can do it), I'll run that as a clean install. The issue with Indians isn't that critical unless other people report it as well or unless it shows up again after that. Meanwhile I'm trying to go forwards with "Ardent", not backwards. xD But I'll need to start a new game sooner or later to check on what I've done, and that's when I'll meet the Hispaniola Indians again.

The issue with Indians isn't that critical unless other people report it as well or unless it shows up again after that.
True.

Meanwhile I'm trying to go forwards with "Ardent", not backwards. xD
That's what WinMerge is for. ;)

I have to do that all the time to avoid myself going backward when adding other people's content to my game.
But I suppose.... since I'm going to do the merging work anyway, it makes sense to let me do all that hard work! :rofl

Meanwhile I'm trying to go forwards with "Ardent", not backwards. xD
That's what WinMerge is for. ;)

I have to do that all the time to avoid myself going backward when adding other people's content to my game.
Not quite what I meant. Rather, at this point in my playthrough I've passed the bit which deals with Indians and am now working on something else. When I need to start a new game to test that, I'll see if the Indians behave themselves...

Not quite what I meant. Rather, at this point I've passed the bit which deals with Indians and am now working on something else. When I need to start a new game to test that, I'll see if the Indians behave themselves...
Your savegame should be pretty much compatible also with the latest version. I managed to use it. ;)

@Grey Roger: Attached are the two files that make use of the "isIndian" attribute.
At some point in the past, I tweaked those because indians got the wrong names and were unarmed and such.
Please compare those two files with WinMerge against your own to see if they're identical.

Attachments

• LAi_equip.c
    11.8 KB · Views: 159
  • LEnc_monsters.c
    71.1 KB · Views: 157
Will do. I'll need to start a new game anyway to test out what I'm doing in "Ardent", which means I'll be facing the Indians at the Inca - or rather, Mayan - temple under the new installation fairly soon...

Back