• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Updating the Governor Quest Dialog

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
DONE: Governor Ship Hunting Quest slight dialog update to add in nation description as suggested earlier by @Grey Roger
This one is done as well:
upload_2016-1-6_17-27-19.png

I also took the opportunity to change the text about that other sidequest to indicate it is NOT an easy one.

How does it tie in with the smuggling quest? Does that dialog still work now?

I only changed the text, not the code.
So should work as well as it did before. :shrug

I only changed the text, not the code.
So should work as well as it did before. :shrug
I mean does the dialog still "flow".
If the smuggling quest is active it will add something to the text you showed. Hence I wondered if it still fits right now.

I mean does the dialog still "flow".
If the smuggling quest is active it will add something to the text you showed. Hence I wondered if it still fits right now.
Should work as well as it did before. I only just added a single word in the middle. o_O

It should be one of these options if there is a quest:
Code:
Oh yes? There are some hostiles in our waters. You could prove your loyalty to #snation# by helping with this.
Oh yes? There are some hostiles in our waters. You could prove your loyalty to #snation# by helping with this. Also I've got a problem with smugglers.
I've got a problem with smugglers.

I've got to admit this dialog sounds somewhat silly:
upload_2016-1-7_17-55-33.png

Maybe that "prove your loyalty" part should be added AFTER the other quests have been mentioned?
@Levis, you can sort-of do that with the Smuggling one too, right?

I can take a look at it yes

I can take a look at it yes
You don't need to actually DO anything there. Just want your feedback on if this would make more sense:
Code:
Oh yes? There are some hostiles in our waters. Also I've got a problem with smugglers. You could prove your loyalty to #snation# by helping with this.
I'd just make that last sentence its own line and skip it if the governor belongs to PERSONAL_NATION .
Actually, we could skip it if you are already have a LoM or are a naval officer as it may not need explaining then.

It also occurred to me: Should a Personal governor give the Smuggler Quest as well?
I think I can easily change the IsInServiceOf function to ALWAYS return true for Personal Nation.
After all, not only are you in the service of Personal Nation, technically the governor should be in YOUR service!
Just let me know if you want that too; I'm still messing around with governor stuff for now anyway. :cheeky

I split the dialog lines and swapped them around:
upload_2016-1-7_23-2-12.png

And also prevented that last part from showing if you're already in the service of the nation:
Code:
         if (!IsInServiceOf(iNation)) stemp = stemp + " " + DLG_TEXT[102];
         if (otherquest) dialog.text = stemp;

Plus used my suggestion of having the player ALWAYS "in the service" of his/her own nation:
Code:
bool IsInServiceOf(int iNation)
{
   ref PChar = GetMainCharacter();
   if (iNation == PERSONAL_NATION)         return true;
   if (HaveLetterOfMarque(iNation))       return true;
   if (ProfessionalNavyNation() == iNation)   return true;
   return false;
}

The above screenshot shows the MAXIMUM text you will get to see.
I admit I faked this a bit, because for personal nation you will not actually get that "You could prove your loyalty" part anymore.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this is also "Fixed". :cheers

Dialog could be worded: -

Oh yes? There are enemy ships in our waters, and then there is the never ending problem of smuggling. You could prove your loyalty to ___ by helping me deal with these.

Not sure if "enemy ships" would work if the hostiles were pirates - but this is the Governor Ship Hunting quest isn't it and they always give other countries ships to attack don't they? :shrug

:drunk

Last edited:
No, governor quests can also give you pirates to hunt. Which, if you have multiple LoM's from nations which are at war with each other and you don't want to lose one of them, is a good thing - pirates are always fair game. It's also useful if, due to variable relations, a nation finds itself at peace with all other nations; the governor quest would probably break the game if it couldn't give you a pirate target. But pirates count as "enemy ships" as well, so the dialog is still valid.

Oh yes? There are enemy ships in our waters, and then there is the never ending problem of smuggling. You could prove your loyalty to ___ by helping me deal with these.
Annoying part is that it could be ONLY the ship hunting quest OR only the smuggling one OR both.
For proper grammar, I could change it to:
Code:
You could prove your loyalty to #sgov_nation# through your assistance.

Not sure if "enemy ships" would work if the hostiles were pirates - but this is the Governor Ship Hunting quest isn't it and they always give other countries ships to attack don't they? :shrug
Pirates are hostile to all nations, so they could be generated as enemies too.

If you want to, you'd be welcome to play around with this further and see if you can improve on the wording.
This is the relevant section from PROGRAM\DIALOGS\governor.c:
Code:
         bool otherquest = false;
         stemp = "";
         if (!CheckAttribute(pchar, "quest.generate_kill_quest") && GetNationRelation2MainCharacter(iNation) != RELATION_ENEMY)
         {
           Preprocessor_Add("gov_nation", XI_ConvertString(GetNationNameByType(iNation)));
           stemp = DLG_TEXT[14];
           link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[15];
           link.l1.go = "kill_pirate";
           otherquest = true;
         }
         //Added by Levis for the smuggler guild
         if (!CheckAttribute(pchar,"quest.smuggling_guild.governor_quest") && IsInServiceOf(iNation) && iNation != PIRATE)
         {
           if(otherquest)   stemp = stemp + DLG_TEXT[81];
           stemp = stemp + DLG_TEXT[82];
           link.l2 = DLG_TEXT[83];
           link.l2.go = "smuggler guild";
           otherquest = true;
         }
         if (!IsInServiceOf(iNation)) stemp = stemp + " " + DLG_TEXT[102];
         if (otherquest) dialog.text = stemp;

Back