• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Various tech support stuff

Bandicam works, though having to run it every time I want to run POTC does make this a slight bit cumbersome, though it's nice to have an FPS counter when I need it, good to know I'm running at over 1K FPS XD

I've just had a thought to ask, so... since I can't buy ammo in the stock game, does anyone suppose that it might be an anti-piracy measure that the game has since I don't have the game disc? Or would that not really matter and it would be just one of those bugs that's getting in the way? And is there a way around it?

If I'm not mistaken, ammo simply does not exist in the stock game, it was added by the mod.

You should be able to buy cannonballs, chainshot, grapeshot and bombs for the ship, but not powder - the stock game does not use it. Pistols do not have ammunition at all in the stock game.

If ship ammo is not for sale in your game, I don't think it is an anti-piracy measure, though it may be a fault in whichever version of the game you have. Can you upload the files "PROGRAM\STORE\goods.h" and "PROGRAM\STORE\initGoods.c"?

I SHOULD(?) have the latest and US version of the game, I don't quite remember where I got it from, but I otherwise have no issues, especially given the modifications I made, as I'm sure everyone's aware of what I did

Attachments

• initGoods.c
    5.8 KB · Views: 33
  • goods.h
    1.5 KB · Views: 36
Both those files show all four ammo types - balls, knippels, grapes and bombs. (But not powder - that was added in the mod.) So the ammunition should be present. I have no idea why it doesn't show up in stores for sale. Can you fire the cannons anyway? Or are you unable to fire because you have no ammunition?

Is there a way to change game settings such as control keys?

Both those files show all four ammo types - balls, knippels, grapes and bombs. (But not powder - that was added in the mod.) So the ammunition should be present. I have no idea why it doesn't show up in stores for sale. Can you fire the cannons anyway? Or are you unable to fire because you have no ammunition?

Is there a way to change game settings such as control keys?
Oh they show up in the store, I just can't buy them for some reason, the counter doesn't change to show that I'm attempting to buy the ammo, it just stays locked at "0", even if I have enough money to buy some, if you want, I can record me trying to buy the ammo

And yes, there should be a way to change the keybinds in the stock game

Last edited:
Oh they show up in the store, I just can't buy them for some reason, the counter doesn't change to show that I'm attempting to buy the ammo, it just stays locked at "0", even if I have enough money to buy some, if you want, I can record me trying to buy the ammo

And yes, there should be a way to change the keybinds in the stock game
Is there room left in the ship?

Can you buy anything else? Or sell something else, then try buying ammo.

Is there room left in the ship?

Can you buy anything else? Or sell something else, then try buying ammo.
Yes to both

It's worth noting that empty ships are what I'm attempting to buy ammo for, these ships already have captains, so on and so forth

Last edited:
I have an idea of what might be going on. Might not work but could be worth a try.

Go out to sea. Tell your companion ships to heave to drift and sail up to them so that you can transfer goods between your ship and one of those ships. Transfer some cannonballs or other goods to that ship and then exit the interface. Open the cargo hold interface in the menu and discard the goods you just transferred to that ship. Now go back to the store and see if you can buy ammunition.

I remember there being some bug about cargo hold space not being cleared properly so you have to do workarounds like this, which also means that the Quick Repairs ability doesn't work properly.

If this doesn't work then try buying some other goods in the store and then discard them to see if that fixes it. If that still doesn't work, go out to sea to swap ships so that you have direct control of the companion ship, and try buying ammunition for it in the store. Might have to discard some goods first. Then go out to sea again to swap ships again so that you have your own ship again.

If this still doesn't work then I don't know what the problem could be. It would seem too advanced for this game to have an anti-piracy measure, so that wouldn't be it. Could be another bug in the stock game or specific to the US version. Having more than one ship doesn't seem to work all that well overall in the stock game, though.

I have an idea of what might be going on. Might not work but could be worth a try.

Go out to sea. Tell your companion ships to heave to drift and sail up to them so that you can transfer goods between your ship and one of those ships. Transfer some cannonballs or other goods to that ship and then exit the interface. Open the cargo hold interface in the menu and discard the goods you just transferred to that ship. Now go back to the store and see if you can buy ammunition.

I remember there being some bug about cargo hold space not being cleared properly so you have to do workarounds like this, which also means that the Quick Repairs ability doesn't work properly.

If this doesn't work then try buying some other goods in the store and then discard them to see if that fixes it. If that still doesn't work, go out to sea to swap ships so that you have direct control of the companion ship, and try buying ammunition for it in the store. Might have to discard some goods first. Then go out to sea again to swap ships again so that you have your own ship again.

If this still doesn't work then I don't know what the problem could be. It would seem too advanced for this game to have an anti-piracy measure, so that wouldn't be it. Could be another bug in the stock game or specific to the US version. Having more than one ship doesn't seem to work all that well overall in the stock game, though.
I thought of the same thing, though I never did it when I thought of it because my initial evaluation of the method was deemed too tedious, but I suppose if I absolutely need to, I'll do that method anyway, been a while since I've been on the game though. I also figured it possible to have anti-piracy measures, but I suppose not

I thought of the same thing, though I never did it when I thought of it because my initial evaluation of the method was deemed too tedious, but I suppose if I absolutely need to, I'll do that method anyway, been a while since I've been on the game though. I also figured it possible to have anti-piracy measures, but I suppose not
No, I can’t even buy the ammo for my own ship…

Back