• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Walk files converting Tool

back84

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Hi!
i've just coded a program that converts walk files to sailorpoints files and vice versa.

View attachment Walk files converting tool.rar

it's still a beta version, so it may have some bugs, even if i tested it several times... so please if you find any errors just let me know and i'll try to fix it...

bye

back84

Thanks bud and congrates. I will test it out, we have a few ships in COAS that require there sailor points been converted. :onya

AGH! I still get an error on that "COMDLG32.OCX" file, even though it's right there in the program's folder.
Does anyone have any thoughts on that one? I get the opening dialog, but then it goes all crashy on me.
I'm using Windows 7.

An AoP>PotC rope converter would probably be a lot more complicated because it'd have to read the GM format somehow.
However, this is not too hard to do manually; just open the GM file and change the locator type names.
The only issue with the ropes is that PotC doesn't support the hanging ropes type and AoP/CoAS does.

I found a solution on the internet, so it's working now. Thanks very much, this seems to be a GREAT tool.
Now all we need is some people to use it and fill up those crewless ships! :woot

As a test, I took the Amsterdam PotC walk file, converted it to SAILORSPOINTS, then converted the converted file back to PotC walk.
Then I used WinMerge to check the differences and based on that I dare say that it works as it should! :onya
See attached for the files I made in testing.

I'm not sure if it a bug just yet but when converting the battleship walkfile over to COAS it lags when loading the ship and continue's to be very sticky till you go back on land. I will continue to test this out.

Update:
Still no go, so to make sure it was converting it correctly i converted it back and the resaults was, well look for yourself.

that's weird... the file looks to be correctly translated...
is it laggy with other imported ships too, or just with that one? and do the crewmembers show up correctly?

No i have converted the Cutter which i had done manually the time before that and that ship works fine, i convered the fleut of war aka FLEUT2 and there was no lag however the crew didn't appear at all. Not sure if that model even has a working walkfile. But yes the Battleship's crew appears to be working fine, they do and go where they are expected but for some reason its just very laggy. The game freeze for a few minutes and continue to do that with only a few seconds between the lagging. I tried the other walkfiles for the Battleship's just incase and the samething happened. :modding

maybe i found an explanation to that lag...

i noticed that all aop ships sailorponits files don't have more than 5 links for each point, whereas in this one some points have even 8 links...
so i removed some links from the battleship .ini so that every point can't have more than 5, and the lag is almost completely gone...

check this out

View attachment Battleshipbis1.ini

so, it looks like the aop engine can't easily handle multiple links per point, for some strange reason...
if anybody knows more about this, please tell me...

maybe i found an explanation to that lag...

i noticed that all aop ships sailorponits files don't have more than 5 links for each point, whereas in this one some points have even 8 links...
so i removed some links from the battleship .ini so that every point can't have more than 5, and the lag is almost completely gone...

check this out

[attachment=5289:Battleshipbis1.ini]

so, it looks like the aop engine can't easily handle multiple links per point, for some strange reason...
if anybody knows more about this, please tell me...

Thanks bud, i will test it out later tonight when the kids are in bed.

Maybe its something that the source coder's can fix so that COAS can handle more points like POTC can.

That's an interesting one. So are you telling me that the PotC walk file system actually works BETTER than the AoP/CoAS one in this respect???
So AoP>PotC conversion should work fine, but PotC>AoP would require removing some links?

Anyway, I moved this thread to Storm Engine Modeling because it applies to all games in the series.
Hopefully the PotC Modders will get to see this one now as well.

That's an interesting one. So are you telling me that the PotC walk file system actually works BETTER than the AoP/CoAS one in this respect???

that's what my tests seem to suggest... in any case, that lag means that there's some sort of incompatibility... perhaps those who have the source code know something more about this... there's a .dll called peoples_on_ship.dll, i think you should take a look at that...

YES! This is perfect for the Historical Ship Pack- they won't be ghost ships any more! :woot
Now all I need are the relevant sailorspoints files...

Do you have AoP or CoAS? You can get some from there.
As for mod-added ships, I think some people have made some sailorspoints for those; should be in the Combined Modpack.

Do you have AoP or CoAS?
No :)E), but I guess I should get CoAS sometime, seeing as we'll eventually port everything to it.
In the meantime... pgargon surely made sailorspoints files for his ships, right?

I don't know. You might want to ask him.
Or download the latest Combined Modpack and check what's in there...

This is working very nicely! I've just converted the sailorspoints files for Barqem1, Caravol1 and FastGalleon to PotC Walk and they seem to be working quite nicely.
No error messages and the crewmembers walk on the deck properly. See attached. Great job, back84! :bow

Now all we need to do is go through the sailorspoints files of AoP, CoAS and the Combined Modpack and check which ones we need to convert into PotC.
Would anyone care looking into that? I did some but I don't intend to do all due to serious lack of time and lot of real work to do! :shock

Back