• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Weapon Priorities

Mere_Mortal

Free Like a Radical
Storm Modder
I’m getting a bit annoyed with auto-equip. Am I missing something in the options to tweak this, or what?

I have a boarding axe, but no... button 1 likes to pick a Hibernian.
I have a Musket as well, but no... button 2 likes to pick a horse pistol.

I suppose I can edit the priorities but I’d rather just disabled this completely. I just dunno where it is.

It determines a "best" weapon based on their stats and especially based on the "minlevel".

Which part do you want to disable? If you want to disable the "prioritizing", then what weapon IS it supposed to choose?
Or you want to disable the functionality for those buttons altogether?

Not the buttons, I need those to switch between stuff other than my blade and gun. The problem I have is if I have a musketoon equipped and I pick up a “better” gun then next time I press button 2 it will equip, say for example a horse pistol. The same happens with blades, the system thinks a Hibernian is better than a boarding axe, so it re-equips to it. Having the numbers to access weapon slots is great, I just don’t like having to go into my inventory to keep on re-equipping my musketoon all the while. Or are these buttons supposed to auto-equip the best weapon? Is that actually their purpose? Maybe I should just stop pressing them. But then if I want to throw a stone or bomb, as soon as I go back to my blade it might pick a different one.

Or are these buttons supposed to auto-equip the best weapon? Is that actually their purpose?
Basically, yes.

But then if I want to throw a stone or bomb, as soon as I go back to my blade it might pick a different one.
Ah, THAT is what you want. Then when you switch to the Stone/Bomb, you would need to store your current blade/weapon at that time so you can return to that.
At the moment that doesn't happen, so when you press the [1] and [2] keys, it has NO clue what you had equipped before, so has to figure something out on its own.

There is some useless overlap with the [F] key though, because that one ALSO Quick-Equips the "best" stuff you have (for ALL equippable items in one go).
This is a feature I originally added many, many years ago so that if you loot better stuff, you can press [F] and save yourself the trouble of going through the Inventory.

As far as I'm concerned, it would be quite OK to keep that [F]-key functionality as-is and change those [1] and [2] keys to remember your previous weapon.
If you can figure out a way to make that work, that is.

Maybe something like:
If you press the 3-9 keys, it stores your blade and gun used at that time. If you use one of those buttons again, it does NOT override that.
If you press 1-2, it equips the blade/gun that was previously stored and removes the memory of this "previous weapon".
If none was stored, either do nothing OR do the auto-equip as it does now (depending on what you find more useful).

Hmm... I might have bound some functions to the same key, that might be the problem I’m having. In this case, unsheathing the weapon could be the same as auto-equipping, I don’t know so I’ll have to check the default controls which I have heavily edited.
Then again, I haven’t changed the number buttons. :shrug

I’ll have to test it to better understand what’s going on.

[1] key = auto-equip best blade you have (as determined by the game, so may differ from what you consider "best")
[2] key = same, but for gun
[F] key = auto-equip best items you have (blade, gun, spyglass, armour, gunpowder pouch, etc.)
[3]-[9] keys = equip various special weapons

If you indeed have the regular "sheath/unsheath" functionality combined with one of those other two, that would confuse things quite a bit! :shock

Auto-equip and un/sheath are bound to separate buttons and the numbers are unchanged, they don’t conflict.

I don’t use the auto-equip button at all, I just press “1” or “2” and it automatically choose the best weapon. :unsure

Oh, so the numbers are auto-equipping? Okay, I think I understand this now, I don’t need to use them at all.

I don’t use the auto-equip button at all, I just press “1” or “2” and it automatically choose the best weapon. :unsure
That is indeed the purpose of those two buttons. For now, at least.
I could understand that may be annoying if you don't agree with what is "best" but do want to quickly switch between the various special weapons (3-9 keys).

Oh, so the numbers are auto-equipping?
What did you think they would do then? And what would you want them to do?
You must have had a reason to press them, no? :confused:

It’s fine, I was just misunderstanding what the buttons were actually doing. Obviously they’re working perfectly as intended.

Still doesn't tell me what you expected them to do though.

They do work as intended, so indeed it isn't a bug. But it could be a Feaure Request to change it.
My suggestion from post #4 sounds quite doable. Depends on whether you and/or other people would find that useful.

No, no... I think I was just pressing the buttons to switch between blade and gun, probably a habit from playing other games which do that. I don’t need to because they are both always equipped in combat. What I keep forgetting is that the gun does not need to be selected, I just need to press “fire gun” which is a completely separate button altogether. So if I press “2” then it will select my best gun, which is perfectly fine and extremely useful in the early stages of the game.

Back