• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What do you think now?

William

PA! Admin
Pirate Legend
Okay Guys & Gals,

You've seen the new reports on Pirates since E3, you've read what other sites have said, as well as our very own report from the event.

So, with what you know know - What do you think of the upcoming Sid Meier's Pirates?

To Anyone Who Has Played the Original:
What do you think about this new version of the game?

What do you think about the enhancements made? (The sword fights, the ship fights, etc.)

What do you think you are going to like most about the new game?

To the Newbies:
What are you most looking forward to in this game?

Has the hype of this game convinced you to buy this when it comes out?

William said:
Has the hype of this game convinced you to buy this when it comes out?
Yup. Of course, I was there watching it all, but it looks pretty good, I'd say. The things that intrigue me the most are the fighting and the sneaking... It's `open-ended`, which is great.

I think this will be the game I will get right away (most times I wait for the $ to go down). It just looks to me like endless fun and gaming pleasure... :d: :d:

They're doing this old game proud! :d:

Though the sword fighting is linear in movement, they gave it more action than the first. Swing from a rope to knock your opponent over the water was awesome!

The nice thing is they took away a lot of the reading TELLING you your guy did something. In this version of Sid Meier's Pirates!, you actually have to make it happen. Sneaking out of prison, impressing the Governor's daughter, etc.

I am cautiously optimistic that the graphics will not appear as cartoonish as many of us once feared... :d:

I LIKE the galleons in it! :d: But it's hard to match the First Person view for immersion.

I note we can customize the sails on our ships. I'm not real big on that, in POTC I most often sail around with plain sails, I think they're more historical. If we can customize the appearance of our avatar in the game, that will help some.

For now, it depends on what else is released about that time as to whether I buy right away, or wait for the price to drop. The Akella offerings, as well as Silent Hunter III, Akella's PT Boat sim, and the Brothers In Arms make for stiff competition!

NO WAY! Sid Meier all the way, baby!

I think I remember Jeff saying you could reskin the avatar. Don't hold me to that - but I'll ask for confirmation. :d:

<!--`QuoteBegin-William`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(William)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->NO WAY! Sid Meier all the way, baby!

I think I remember Jeff saying you could reskin the avatar. Don't hold me to that - but I'll ask for confirmation. xD:[/quote]

Confirmed. :will

You will be able to download skins for the player character or make your own. I'll also make sure that "None" is an option for sail emblems but they will obviously be customizable along with flags and other things for those who like that sort of thing.

-Barry

<!--`QuoteBegin-Firaxis_Barry`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Firaxis_Barry)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You will be able to download skins for the player character or make your own.[/quote]That will be sooooo COOL!!! xD: :will

its quite awhile since i played the original way back when i was a freshman in the university. but this is one of the reasons why i stay late up nite (i guess this is the only reason other than ladies in waiting :p::)

1. i think due to BIG difference between the computer b4 (windows 3.1 :blah: ) to know more advance computer, its quite obvious that this is much better in graphics, design etc.

2. sword fight is excellent. i think now its not only up, middle, down buttons (to thrust your sword to u your opponent) you press but all around.

3. EVERYTHING :cheers:

The more I check out the graphics the less I like it.

I almost prefer the old Amiga graphics simply because those tried to look real while these new graphics are made to fit a cartoon movie.

It really sucks...

Hopefully will the gameplay be good though.....

and if the game will sell great on the marke, then there will be a follow up for sure.... hopefully with decent graphics too....

I am also very disturbed by the graphics.

I mean, the most important thing here, is the historic setting... and they've "perverted" it by making distorted, comical respresentations of... I don't know if it can be called the real thing anymore.

I wonder if they were afraid to be accurate, because of poor sales of the Patrician series? But in that case, they forgot that that series didn't have a large name attached to it, nor a large PR campaign (and still, that series have very, very devoted fans).

Still, I must confess that I find the best version of Pirates! to be the Amiga CD32/Sega Megadrive version, even though it also had slightly cartoony graphics (though not as much as this new one). The reason I find that version best, though, is the updated interface.

I think cartoony graphics are great for strengthening characters. All that concerns me is that the gameplay has got to be up to a high standard.

:cheers Well, let me in a vaguely devil's advocate sort of way say something about the graphics... :p3

True, the symbols for cities on the navigation map have a cartoony aspect... xD:

But I'm increasingly pleased with the ship models we'll be sailing! xD:

Dedicated as I am to the POTC projects, it's shaping up to weigh heavily on the Napoleonic scale of naval architecture. :p2:

THIS game evokes the much earlier period, marked with grand galleons. :p: Unlike POTC, where the 'galleon' lacks any sort of stern balcony at all, these ships seem to illustrate more the impractical but attractive things that characterized galleons at their zenith.

I don't know how close we'll be able to zoom down to inspect them, but I know I'd sure like to! :p:

In the final analysis, all the graphics has to do is suck us into the game. The character models, also a bit on the cartoony side, do a pretty good job of illustrating the fancy way men AND women dressed back then. With customization built right in (not added a la POTC), I'm looking forward to it! :woot

Worms 3D is totally absorbing, at least for me, so I'm willing to cut Pirates! some slack until the reviews come out.

I think the cartoonish graphics give the game more flavor. Although i wish you could stab the rival captain in the gut opposed to knocking him overboard to win the duel. But hey thats just me.

Back