• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What happens if you don't pay the loan shark?

While there IS code for "punitive squadrons chasing you around the Caribbean", I am not at all sure if this actually ever happens.
In fact, I don't think it does. But I don't know why. @Levis, do you have any thoughts?

While there IS code for "punitive squadrons chasing you around the Caribbean", I am not at all sure if this actually ever happens.
In fact, I don't think it does. But I don't know why. @Levis, do you have any thoughts?

Punitive squadrons are just pirate-hunters sent after you when you are hostile with a certain nation. You can identify these by being warships as opposed to merchant vessels, and having sparse cargo with a lot of ammunition like how pirate ships are stocked. At least that's what I think it means.

Because he tried to implement it but never got around it.... Thats my guess, when i looked at the code a while back it seemed messy and probably will never run. But could look again.

Punitive squadrons are just pirate-hunters sent after you when you are hostile with a certain nation. You can identify these by being warships as opposed to merchant vessels, and having sparse cargo with a lot of ammunition like how pirate ships are stocked. At least that's what I think it means.
There are plenty of warships at sea, but those aren't related to not paying loans.

I believe that in the stock game there will be thugs sent after you if you don't repay the loansharks. I haven't tried it myself, though, but the code implies it. Note that in the stock game there is also a bug that even if you repay the loanshark the debt isn't marked as repaid, so it will still count as if you didn't repay him.

I believe that in the stock game there will be thugs sent after you if you don't repay the loansharks. I haven't tried it myself, though, but the code implies it. Note that in the stock game there is also a bug that even if you repay the loanshark the debt isn't marked as repaid, so it will still count as if you didn't repay him.
Any idea where this happens? I want to try it.

I checked the stock code further, and it turns out you get three pirate ships sent after you as a random encounter on the map when the time to repay the loan runs out. I just tried it, and just to be sure I changed the nation of the ships to England. My relation with England was friendly so I knew that it would be those ships and not "real" English ships. Maybe thugs attacking you outside a town would be more appropriate.

So that feature DID work in the stock game, then? In that case, I think something in the Build Mod must have broken it. :shock

Nay! :no No thugs or ships will after you when not paying a loanshark in the stock game. That's why I like borrowing their money or say "taking". Hehehe. xD
When the deal expires and you are not able to pay, when you visit the loanshark he will just say that he's all out or bankrupt or whatever. :checklist
No harm will be brought upon you on land or sea. :sail I have played and finished the stock game several times before I knew about the MODs.

That is one of the unfinished features of the stock game.

It seems you missed this:
I checked the stock code further, and it turns out you get three pirate ships sent after you as a random encounter on the map when the time to repay the loan runs out. I just tried it, and just to be sure I changed the nation of the ships to England. My relation with England was friendly so I knew that it would be those ships and not "real" English ships. Maybe thugs attacking you outside a town would be more appropriate.
I checked the stock code, I tried it in-game, and even modified the relevant code to be sure. You do get three pirate ships sent after you as a random encounter on the map.

I have not experience this back then with the stock game. But then again, I might have forgotten or not notice it as it is a random encounter. Does the game have a little or a mini-scene or at least a way of showing that the three ships that are after you is because you failed to pay the loanshark on time once you encountered them?

I always thought that if you didn't repay your loan in the stock game your reputation would drop. Mine always seemed to drop after not paying.

I always thought that if you didn't repay your loan in the stock game your reputation would drop. Mine always seemed to drop after not paying.
I suppose that is true. I can't remember 'bout the loanshark thing that well now. :pirate07:

I have not experience this back then with the stock game. But then again, I might have forgotten or not notice it as it is a random encounter. Does the game have a little or a mini-scene or at least a way of showing that the three ships that are after you is because you failed to pay the loanshark on time once you encountered them?
There is no message or anything on the map, they appear just like any other pirate ships. The only way to differentiate them from "normal" pirate ships is that it will always be three luggers and they have full crew, which pirate ships usually don't seem to always have.

Also, yes, reputation does drop if the loan isn't repaid.

Last edited:
Back