• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What's this "gun fall out"??

aaarrrgh

Landlubber
Whether it's an actual "bug" or not it's driving me crazy. Frequently when I attack something in a protracted battle my "gun fall out", usually starting in the starboard battery, and then spreading to all guns if I want to go through the agony of watching. Currently, I'm attacking Santiago with my 32 lb corvette and 32 lb Xebec. Soon after starting, I was forced to quicksave after every salvo, and reload in hopes that I can have enough guns left to finish the mission. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, so do I just have a "special" problem? Any ideas on how I can turn off that irritant?

I had that happening for a time. I think it might of been having too large guns for my gunnery skill at the time. (Maybe)

Whether it's an actual "bug" or not it's driving me crazy.
Cannon's damage is accumulative.
Therefore to be happy and healthy pirate, one should replace old guns on a regular basis (even before they fall out).
The bug is, that instead of buying new guns one can
(as far as i can read from scripts) remove and then 'fix' back all guns, which magically heals them

I think it might of been having too large guns for my gunnery skill at the time. (Maybe)

That could be an added factor because when i use smaller calibure guns i don't have them fall out the same can be said for 24 Ips guns but since upgrading to 32 Ips guns i loose a few guns in every battle and the total amount of guns that full out depend on how long the battle goes on for, i don't rush because i like to destroy the masts and then hit it with grapeshots before boarding.

Dont know if it might help because you did not tell the whole story.

Currently with a corvette levelling up (officers and captain) which means I have a fair advantage of speed against most opponents (if not, sails are shred so to offer a speed avantage)

As such, I simply attack a convoy from the head with the proper use of wind (tactical battles settings), positioning the ship a bit ahead on the right, left broadside, full sails/better wind use to cross the path of the attacked ship,rear guns shot then once on the left,half sails/no sails, right broadside. Repeat routine.

In the end, it means that the corvette does not rotate much on itself (maybe twenty degrees or something) and there is no mess aboard. No guns lost off board.

Of course, if you spin your boat from one side to other, doing full 360 ° rotation or worse, 180° leftwise plus 180° rightwise, it will end as a big disorder on board and you will start to lose guns off board.

Sea conditions also play a part: on a heavy sea, guns are let loose faster than on a flat sea.

Cannons skill helps. But I dont know up to which point. My guess is that even with a 100 per cent, if you spin your ship too much, the guns are going to go overboard.

Awesome, quick, helpful responses- thankyou! :onya Now THIS is a forum! So it's a matter of the depth of the game, rather than a glitch, that cannons can wear out, or the ropes holding them can, because what several of you suggested fits well, b/c there I was, going in tight circles to bring alternate batteries to bear, firing as rapidly as possible. Therefore, when I'm longer battles (like attacking cities) I should be as linear as possible? And does it help to draw off for an hour or two of game time to let the guns cool down"? Thanks again for the help! :cheers

Well, I found part of the code that controls this. (see below)

It definitely depends on the characters cannon skill, but then it goes off into the AI_MESSAGE_CANNONS_BOOM_CHECK function which I think is in the compiled code, so I can't see what it does there :shrug

Code:
float fCannons = stf(aCharacter.TmpSkill.Cannons)*10;
fCannons = 15.0 + MOD_SKILL_ENEMY_RATE - fCannons;
if (fCannons > 0.0 && RealShips[sti(aCharacter.ship.type)].BaseName != "fort") // fix
{
if (fCannons > rand(100))
{
fCannons = (rand(4) + 2.0*(1.65 - stf(aCharacter.TmpSkill.Cannons))) * 10;
SendMessage(&AISea, "laffff", AI_MESSAGE_CANNONS_BOOM_CHECK, aCharacter, fCannons, fx, fy, fz);  // fDamage2Cannons  òàì ìíîãî äåëèòåëåé, ïîòîìó ìíîãî
}
}

Well, I found part of the code that controls this. (see below)

It definitely depends on the characters cannon skill, but then it goes off into the AI_MESSAGE_CANNONS_BOOM_CHECK function which I think is in the compiled code, so I can't see what it does there :shrug

Code:
float fCannons = stf(aCharacter.TmpSkill.Cannons)*10;
fCannons = 15.0 + MOD_SKILL_ENEMY_RATE - fCannons;
if (fCannons > 0.0 && RealShips[sti(aCharacter.ship.type)].BaseName != "fort") // fix
{
if (fCannons > rand(100))
{
fCannons = (rand(4) + 2.0*(1.65 - stf(aCharacter.TmpSkill.Cannons))) * 10;
SendMessage(&AISea, "laffff", AI_MESSAGE_CANNONS_BOOM_CHECK, aCharacter, fCannons, fx, fy, fz);  // fDamage2Cannons  òàì ìíîãî äåëèòåëåé, ïîòîìó ìíîãî
}
}

Thanks, Jonathan, for your considerate reply. But so much for a nice, simple toggle switch... :shrug

I add to the discussion. I am now far from sure that rotating the ship determines the internal disorder because when in the open sea, I spin it over and over firing the guns and nothing happened. I unfortunately forgot to check if the guns skill got up. If it doesnt, it might mean that there are two different settings: one with opponents, the other without opponents.

Yet, being hit by enemy guns leads to guns fall overboard.

What could have deceived me in thinking that spinning the ship could also be a factor.

If somebody is willing to test that using guns in an open sea without an enemy can also raise the gun skill...

It seems to me, that most of you misguided by inaccurate translation.
In russian version Cannon_DamageEvent = 'Орудие вышло из строя'. 'Орудие' = 'Cannon' (it can also be 'tool', but not our context, obviously)
Thing is, 'вышло из строя' can mean:

'[someone/smthing] left the formation'
or
'[smthing/someone] became malfunctioning'

And i really don't know which context words 'fall out' suits better. What i know is - that first meaning would crawl into my mind only accompanied by dozen shots of vodka.

ps/
Moreover, manual mentions that guns can 'fall out' :)D) due to wear (each gun has HP, bigger gun - bigger hp, and each shot reduces it) and due to direct hit by enemy (probably in case of close impact(or even randomly) portion of damage is transferred to guns)

pps/
On second thought, if russian wasn't my native language, i could translate it in first form, as it is word-to-word translation.
Btw it seems to me, that second form came from word-to-word translation of 'out of order'. I'm not a linguist, though :)

It seems to me, that most of you misguided by inaccurate translation.
In russian version Cannon_DamageEvent = 'Орудие вышло из строя'. 'Орудие' = 'Cannon' (it can also be 'tool', but not our context, obviously)
Thing is, 'вышло из строя' can mean:

'[someone/smthing] left the formation'
or
'[smthing/someone] became malfunctioning'

And i really don't know which context words 'fall out' suits better. What i know is - that first meaning would crawl into my mind only accompanied by dozen shots of vodka.

ps/
Moreover, manual mentions that guns can 'fall out' :)D) due to wear (each gun has HP, bigger gun - bigger hp, and each shot reduces it) and due to direct hit by enemy (probably in case of close impact(or even randomly) portion of damage is transferred to guns)

pps/
On second thought, if russian wasn't my native language, i could translate it in first form, as it is word-to-word translation.
Btw it seems to me, that second form came from word-to-word translation of 'out of order'. I'm not a linguist, though :)

Your English is far better than my Russian will ever be! Sounds like I'm going to have to go buy a whole new set of 32 lbers before I go after a city. Thanks for the help, tovarish!

"Yer cannon suffered an upset and fell outta its carriage," be a mo' better translation, Fred Bob be a thinkin'! :onya

I think it might of been having too large guns for my gunnery skill at the time. (Maybe)

That could be an added factor because when i use smaller calibure guns i don't have them fall out the same can be said for 24 Ips guns but since upgrading to 32 Ips guns i loose a few guns in every battle and the total amount of guns that full out depend on how long the battle goes on for, i don't rush because i like to destroy the masts and then hit it with grapeshots before boarding.

I've come to agree that 24 lb guns get the "gun fall out" far less often-- but are they effective enough at taking out the forts? In ealier versions of this game, I could target specific things- like individual fort cannon. You say that you aim at masts? How? :shrug I havn't found any way to do anything other than wait for the red circle in my spyglass to cue me to fire and hopefully hit my target- let alone something within my target...

I don't actually target the masts, i fire chainshots when the ship is facing me so i can hit more of the sails and hopefully damage or destroy the masts quicker, when the enemy ship turns broadside i try to have either my back or my front facing the ship with sails riged as to aviod too much damage, i've also noticed in POTC it was easier to destroy masts than it is in COAS, my canon and aiming are both 100% each with all canon perks i even have a officer with 100% canon and aiming yet i've had times when the enemy ship is in range of my 42Ips canons but i miss him and i continue to miss him, i check the range and the enemy ship is well within range. Not sure why that happens or if its the computer cheating, its annoying though when your in a ship that isn't able to out run the enemy ship(s) and you can't make a stand leaving you only one choice and thats to try and run whilest damaging the enemy ships sails.

I agree the lower the calibure the less you will see guns fall out, which is weird since the lower the calibure the less they can withstand and taking hits which is inevetable doesn't seem to effect the lower calibure canons like it does with those mighty 32 and 42 pounders.

While we are on the subject of 42 ib canons, why is it you can buy every calibure in either canon or culverins but the 42 pounders can only be bourght in canon type and not culverins?

I am having the same problem with guns exploding because of failed salvos in long engagements. Has anyone figured out a fix to this yet? Does the remove all/fix all work for these long battles?

In the manual it says: bad gunpowder, unskilled gunners, or a low quality cannon build can sometimes cause the guns to explode. The probability of a gun exploding during a shot depends on your "Cannons" Skill and the guns type. Guns of larger calibers are tougher, and cannons are tougher then culverins. More often, guns will be destroyed by cannonball and bomb collisions.

Is there a way to lower the probability of cannon explosions? If not is there a way to allow the f2 menu to pop up during battle so that damaged cannons can be replaced?

I am having the same problem with guns exploding because of failed salvos in long engagements. Has anyone figured out a fix to this yet? Does the remove all/fix all work for these long battles?

In the manual it says: bad gunpowder, unskilled gunners, or a low quality cannon build can sometimes cause the guns to explode. The probability of a gun exploding during a shot depends on your "Cannons" Skill and the guns type. Guns of larger calibers are tougher, and cannons are tougher then culverins. More often, guns will be destroyed by cannonball and bomb collisions.

Is there a way to lower the probability of cannon explosions? If not is there a way to allow the f2 menu to pop up during battle so that damaged cannons can be replaced?

It would be nice to refit damaged cannons whilest in battle currently this is not possible, however you can go to Age of Pirates 2\Program\CANNONS and open the file called Cannons_init. at the bottom of each cannon calibure you will see this line of code.

Code:
rCannon.hp = 60.0;
just change the value to what ever you want, the high the value the lower the chance of the cannon falling out. So you could end up with a code like.

Code:
rCannon.hp = 300.0;

With such a high value as that your ship would sink before a single cannon is destroyed. However increasing the value also means the lower the chance for you to destroy any cannons on the enemy ships. This is why i'm trying to find a nice ballance between this part of the game, because in real life cannons was destroyed and ships did have to worry about been in long conflicts and some battles may have been desided due to ships loosing more of there guns durring long battles. At the moment my own edits are low and for that reason cannons will fall out more often, i'm testing though and that will all change.

But yes if you really feel you need to edit the value then do as i pointed out above, remeber back up any files you edit and you will need to start a new game before any edits will take effect or at least in this file anyway.

Best wishes
Luke.

i try to remove and fix cannons each and every time i am at the shipyard. i have relatively low fall out rate.

as for doing it during a siege you would have to move outside of the forts range, and enemy ships, then you would be able to remove/fix cannons. (much like being unable to transfer between ships during battle without board-to-board contact)

why are you attacking forts with 32lb guns? seems that you would prefer the extra damage and range of the 42 pounders.

you could also take a page from the opponents playbook by having spare guns on board.

High cannon skills (not accuracy) not only decreases the load time but greatly decreases the chance of the guns malfunctioning. Assign a cannoneer with cannon skill of 100 and the cannons will "fall out" quite rarely.

This is in the game to make you actually get a cannoneer Im thinking ;)

So it cant be fixed as it doesnt need to be as it is a delibrate thing :yes

I am using Luke159's Real Time Battle Mod to make battles more realistic. In the mod something is done to increase the hitpoints of the ships or to decrease the amount of damage done from cannons. This means that I have to shoot my guns many times in order to do significant damage to the enemy. When I fire my cannons a lot many of them will explode throughout the course of the battle.

I made some changes to the Cannons_init. so that now cannons will have ten times their original hitpoints. I am going to test and try to fine tune it to The Real Time Battle Mod so that a starting character will not lose all his cannons during their first engagements. I would like to be able to lose some, as well as damage some of my enemies cannons, but not all. I will test out my changes for a while and report back when I have found the right balance.

Back