• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Where to find rank of NPC's?

Lonious

Master Mariner
Greetings,

I'd like to ask which file I should look into to determine the rank generated for NPCs such as town guards and enemy captains in sea encounters? And also others like bandits, cave guards, townspeople, etc.

Also - is there a way that I could set an existing character at a specific level without overriding his initial Skills points? For example, if I set someone's Sailing skill to 3, but his rank is set to 15, the Sailing seems to be randomised.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ranks for random characters such as bandits, cave and dungeon denizens, and some people in town, aren't to be found in a file because the characters are generated randomly when you enter the location.

You can find the rank and other stats for someone who isn't trying to kill you. Walk up to them as if to talk, then press "O".

For fixed characters, if you know the character's ID, put this into "PROGRAM\console.c", immediately below the 'int limit;' line:
Code:
DumpAttributes(CharacterFromID("Ox_soldier_1"));
Replace "Ox_soldier_1" with the ID of the character you want. ("Ox_soldier_1" is one of the soldiers in Speightstown port.) In game, press F12. Then quit the game and look at "compile.log", where you should find a complete readout of the character's data.

The levelling system does rearrange skills and abilities. Add this line to the character's definition:
Code:
ch.questchar = true;
That should prevent the levelling system from changing his skills.

The levelling system does rearrange skills and abilities. Add this line to the character's definition:
Code:
ch.questchar = true;
That should prevent the levelling system from changing his skills.
There are two ways this can work:
Either the system modifies the character level to match the number of skill points assigned in the init files;
or it automatically re-assigns all skill points for the set character level and distributes skills as appropriate for the character type.

I'd like to ask which file I should look into to determine the rank generated for NPCs such as town guards and enemy captains in sea encounters? And also others like bandits, cave guards, townspeople, etc.
Look at PROGRAM\Characters\Leveling.c and PROGRAM\Characters\officertypes\init_officertypes.c .

Back