• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A Family' Story

Here are some pictures of Santiago port with added palms, chimneys and smoke.
SP1.jpg SP2.jpg SP3.jpg

I have added something outside the cartographer's house. But it should be visible only when that quest is triggered.
So where is that? A dialog maybe?

It depends on how close you want to be to when the player needs to visit the cartographer's house. In "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\quests\quests_reaction.c":
  • case "ir_santiago" is where you've just rescued Fernando Suarez from Tortuga brothel. This sets up "explicar_suarez" to trigger when you arrive at Santiago port.
  • case "explicar_suarez" sets up a dialog with Fernando Suarez which ends by triggering "ir_taberna".
  • case "ir_taberna" teleports you to Santiago tavern for "ir_taberna2", where Fernando Suarez talks to you again. This is a long dialog in which he tells the story of Bartolomeu, and ends by triggering "meet_chaparro".
  • case "meet_chaparro" is where you go to meet the cartographer. You're still in the tavern at this point, it's up to you to leave the tavern and go to the cartographer's house.
So you could trigger the change at "explicar_suarez" (the player has just arrived in port and is about to have a dialog), at "ir_taberna2" (the player is in the tavern and about to have another dialog), or "meet_chaparro" / "meet_chaparro2" (dialog has finished, the player knows to go to the cartographer's house, but has yet to leave the tavern).

You could also change "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\Storyline\FreePlay\QUESTBOOK\Family_Story.txt", line 9, which is the questbook entry ending with the part about cartographer Arnaldo Chaparro and directions to the house. At present the direction is rather vague, "a house located in a small square just in the center of this town". That could be changed to mention whatever you're doing, and possibly also that the house is across the road from the blacksmith.

Is it a problem for the game, if I add a locator to Resource\MODELS\Islands\Conceicao\Conceicao_locators.gm?
The idea is the player can only reach the Bartolomeu's Mansion using a new shore on Conceição.
Of course, this shore would be only open during this quest.
Btw: Is it possible to create a temporary shore locator?

Attachments

• mapConceicao.jpg
    mapConceicao.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 238
Is it a problem for the game, if I add a locator to Resource\MODELS\Islands\Conceicao\Conceicao_locators.gm?
The idea is the player can only reach the Bartolomeu's Mansion using a new shore on Conceição.
Of course, this shore would be only open during this quest.
Btw: Is it possible to create a temporary shore locator?
Adding a locator should not be a problem. Presumably it will be a "reload". You can then just disable it the way Playa de Sierra Maestra is disabled at the moment, then open it when needed in the quest.

I'm not sure if you can write a temporary locator on an island model. In theory it's possible to do it on a location; the "Hornblower" storyline apparently does something of the sort, though I've never had much success with it myself. What you could do is have a whole new island model which is only used during the quest. The "Tales of a Sea Hawk" storyline does this for Khael Roa / Cozumel; there's one model which is completely inaccessible and which is in use for most of the story, then there's another model with the shore locator which is used when you're about to sail there to go to the temple.

I'm not sure if you can write a temporary locator on an island model. In theory it's possible to do it on a location; the "Hornblower" storyline apparently does something of the sort, though I've never had much success with it myself. What you could do is have a whole new island model which is only used during the quest. The "Tales of a Sea Hawk" storyline does this for Khael Roa / Cozumel; there's one model which is completely inaccessible and which is in use for most of the story, then there's another model with the shore locator which is used when you're about to sail there to go to the temple.
The reason for the Cozumel double island models is because they actually have different geometry with different bounding boxes.
But for just a reload locator, there is no model-swapping needed; it can just be disabled by default, unless enabled for quest purposes.
Isn't that already done with the small island next to Puerto Rico that is used for the Animists sidequest?

Adding a locator should not be a problem. Presumably it will be a "reload". You can then just disable it the way Playa de Sierra Maestra is disabled at the moment, then open it when needed in the quest.
Maybe, it would be wiser to do as I did for Playa de Sierra Maestra, indeed. :yes
Today is a public holyday for me, so let's do some modding this afternoon :D

Talking of Playa de Sierra Maestra, would you have any objection to opening it up again? Obviously players should not see the warehouse location except in the "Bartolomeu" story, but it's easy enough to open up the reload from the normal Santiago town exit to the jungle which leads to Playa de Sierra Maestra. The shore, which appears on the map of Cuba, would then work for everyone, they'd be able to walk from the beach to the town, and they'd never see any warehouses. Unless they're supposed to see warehouses, that is. ;)

I have uploaded on dropbox "JRH files 4067 19-03-05" Dropbox - JRH files 4067 19-03-05.7z
This is what I added in Santiago center and port:

goto locators 36
merchant locators 8
smoke locators 38

chimneys 18
trees and plants 33
other town parts 32
building set 3

col files not counted

bugfix 1

Now I'll take some vacation.

Attachments

• I knew it would happen - they drive like idiots down from the town.jpg
    I knew it would happen - they drive like idiots down from the town.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 196
Talking of Playa de Sierra Maestra, would you have any objection to opening it up again? Obviously players should not see the warehouse location except in the "Bartolomeu" story, but it's easy enough to open up the reload from the normal Santiago town exit to the jungle which leads to Playa de Sierra Maestra. The shore, which appears on the map of Cuba, would then work for everyone, they'd be able to walk from the beach to the town, and they'd never see any warehouses. Unless they're supposed to see warehouses, that is. ;)
Ok, if the warehouse location is only open for the "Bartolomeu" story. (You mean the entire location not only the warehouses, right? :D)
Now, we have a new shore for POTC. It's a VCO location. I did the characters path for it and it works :dance
(The ground is pretty flat, so I've had no problem with it)
This shore will lead to the Bartolomeu Mansion location. It's a hidden shore so it won't appear on a Conceição Map and be only open playing my quest.:aar

Attachments

• New_Beach(1).jpg
    New_Beach(1).jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 247
  • New_Beach(2).jpg
    New_Beach(2).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 236
  • New_Beach(3).jpg
    New_Beach(3).jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 238
Ok, if the warehouse location is only open for the "Bartolomeu" story. (You mean the entire location not only the warehouses, right? :D)
Exactly. All I want to do is reroute the reload from "Cuba_Jungle_04" to point to "Santiago_town_exit1", which is the location without warehouses. Then set a reload locator from "Santiago_town_exit1" to point back to "Cuba_Jungle_04". So you'd walk from Playa de Sierra Maestra to the jungle, to the outskirts location which has no warehouses, to Santiago town.

And then, in "Bartolomeu\StartStoryline.c", change the reloads back again so that you do get to the warehouses!
Now, we have a new shore for POTC. It's a VCO location. I did the characters path for it and it works :dance
(The ground is pretty flat, so I've had no problem with it)
This shore will lead to the Bartolomeu Mansion location. It's a hidden shore so it won't appear on a Conceição Map and be only open playing my quest.:aar
Looks good. :onya

Yes that looks good. It used to be the stairs in towns that caused most problems with the character path.

It used to be the stairs in towns that caused most problems with the character path.
Right.
In the future, if you or I we have time, there are still a few VCO shore locations that could be tested in POTC. As Pieter said, some variety in the shores could be interesting.
Exactly. All I want to do is reroute the reload from "Cuba_Jungle_04" to point to "Santiago_town_exit1", which is the location without warehouses. Then set a reload locator from "Santiago_town_exit1" to point back to "Cuba_Jungle_04". So you'd walk from Playa de Sierra Maestra to the jungle, to the outskirts location which has no warehouses, to Santiago town.
And then, in "Bartolomeu\StartStoryline.c", change the reloads back again so that you do get to the warehouses!
Great! I like the idea :onya

Here's Lucia de la Vega in Santiago town centre:
lucia.jpg

That's an old picture and is only shown here for comparison. Because here's a lady who is going to become one of Santiago's next batch of permanent residents, shown at the same location with some of @Jack Rackham's new trees and chimneys behind her:
towngirl7_2.jpg

Back