• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Buccaneers! Screenshots and Videos

You could, although you're probably better to just throw it away and draw another pistol.
PoTC:NH, "RESOURCE\VIDEOS\Hornblower\Capture Le Reve.wmv", starting at about 1:15.

If that doesn't work, pick up a live pistol from a dead enemy.
Same video, 1:30.

Every captain should keep practising their swordfighting skills, and we now have a training scene on the player's ship for that purpose, complete with wooden/straw dummies.
Better still, the player can now climb ladders and rigging in VR. You can't truly appreciate how tall your masts are until you've climbed them and looked down... :shock

@Pieter Boelen before you ask: yes, you can climb onto and walk across the main yards. ;)

(Sorry for all the VR footage; we're aiming to release a VR trailer within a couple of weeks, and after that we'll have more non-VR videos to share!)

If you manage to lure them up there with you, sure! :duel:
We're still working on the AI's ability to climb, so for now the only ones up on the masts will be snipers, but that will eventually change.

One of the biggest things our VR mode has been missing compared to non-VR mode is water reflections, which simply didn't work with stereoscopic VR rendering.
Now, though, we've finally managed to add proper support for it, and it makes a noticeable difference:

BEFORE:
y4ml1z6Lb-jnl0tTWQAy-wnA-9g1YO6goiFGXrHr_v4HOw2sZsZ5CDTEdr0Qzlaq1plekh8nqe5OlaU5hrVMlobupFqHUpBJkZlgPKErjYLrVRc6a1tp56BWWPpJywQza_QH0MzghqjbNSftQt2h3UynL3H3LH-FRPyKT5aXS6gO_VFZkVxBPgOU7biV3HeMuKp

AFTER:
y4mYy1aGl870YIGM8MpSKs6xUe3hgVAuwvoX7JmluXCS5k7SbDpiGLsfIGhO5E1-gdDOGgS2EwJqXu50-4M9c6eBre01WxFYG-ASxY1JUkRAj6uzrU-ubosndZiqBZ_hfvTtBkx2pCepCHSHrXT6u9aWZJBG5Wqf_O-Jr4R-2edNxG_qSSZo5Zu3Kp3zujPSOhV
:sail

Adds a new layer of realism-inspired depth to it, but, @Armada, make it a togglabble feature (in the settings). Some of us like the clean look, with simple polygons, that your game started as. There is peace to enjoy is such clarity. Extra details (such as textures and shaders/reflections) can sometimes clutter that experience of lightness and harmony/serenity.

It's definitely a big bonus to the game, but I would make it something that can be turned off at will.

Oh, and if you've gone this far, don't forget to add some (simple) (schools of) fish that emerge from the depths (i.e. climb and fade in) from time to time, to make the water, too, the world beneath, feel alive.

Last edited:
I would second it as a togglable feature. The first screenshot looks a little more... Realistic? I have rarely seen such reflections on sea surface, it usually appears much more rippled and murkier. And while ships and buildings look all right, I am not sure if the clouds ever get to reflect like this.

As to fish I remember the first time I encountered a shark in the second Sea Dogs and thought it was a torpedo, which got me really scramble. :)

As to fish I remember the first time I encountered a shark in the second Sea Dogs and thought it was a torpedo, which got me really scramble. :)
Imagine being a sailor in the age of sail and seeing a torpedo coming at you. :shock:rofl

Adds a new layer of realism-inspired depth to it, but, @Armada, make it a togglabble feature (in the settings). Some of us like the clean look, with simple polygons, that your game started as. There is peace to enjoy is such clarity. Extra details (such as textures and shaders/reflections) can sometimes clutter that experience of lightness and harmony/serenity.
This has been part of the non-VR mode since the start, and it looks better in motion than it does in still images.
Technically it can be turned off in the graphics settings, as we have "high" and "low" quality water modes.

Oh, and if you've gone this far, don't forget to add some (simple) (schools of) fish that emerge from the depths (i.e. climb and fade in) from time to time, to make the water, too, the world beneath, feel alive.
We'll think about it, but that would be a low priority feature at this stage.

Anyway, new stuff: pistols can now be manually reloaded (we have simplified the process compared to real life), and you can now slide down the backstay to return to the deck.

As I alluded to in a previous post, we now have a working compass in VR mode. We even attached a small wind vane to its lid so it can double as a wind indicator, though there are plenty of visual cues to help with that as well.

There's not much use for the compass right now, other than being a cool "toy" for VR interaction, but we have some ideas for potentially linking it to treasure hunts or other quests. There will be a non-VR equivalent, though you will also need to press a key to bring it up, instead of having a permanent UI element.

Now, I know what some of you are thinking: "Will there be a compass that doesn't point north?"
I can't make any promises yet, but I'm sure we could think of something... :treasure:

Really loving everything I'm seeing of all your creative gameplay, @Armada!

Are you aware of all the Facebook groups you could post your updates to?
You really should! Get yourself that coverage, mate. ;)

Back