• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

CoAS Combined Mod Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wondrous World of Batching

CoAS has the textures for each ship in seperate folders.
Each ship uses deck.tga.tx, but you need to have that file in each folder seperately.
Therefore for all new ships, you need to put that file three times in the download for each ship. Right?
So... instead of putting the file in the modpack around three hundred times, you don't put it in at all.
Then after the installation, run a .bat file and copy it into the required folders from an existing ship.
You can do the same with any other files that are the same, but need to be in different spots or under different names.
It's more complicated to make such a .bat file than adding the files in the download, but it can save LOTS in the final filesize.

Especially in the PotC Build mod, we really had no choice but to do it the batch way for a lot of files.
We found that you can change the texture path of a location through code.
So then we decided to reskin the various town models with different nationalities' looks.
There were several texture files we changed for that, but a lot would remain the same.
So we batched it so that these are copied into the NATION subfolders and we don't need to include them in the download.

And for the BuildingSet, we have lots of building models in the AMMO folder.
But they need their textures as well. So again, we had the batch file copy those instead of including them.

Another trick: All relevant code is in PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI.
But through modding, files are being renamed and removed.
So when people install modpack edition upon edition, you're going to end up with lots of old crap in these folders.
So we include these folders as PROGRAM_new and RESOURCE\INI_new,
have the batch file REMOVE the original folders, then rename the _new ones to the normal names.
Then you're certain that there's only those files in there that you want.
In some cases, even files with wrong or old filenames end up being loaded anyway,
which does have the potential to mess up things. Doing this prevents that.

Other tricks in the batch-file we've used for the PotC Build Mod that you can also apply to CoAS:
- Delete memory.mp; this is a file that sometimes is part of the PotC game installation (possibly CoAS also) and appears to serve no other purpose than to make the game performance crap (???)
- Remove all files in the SAVE folder to prevent people from using incompatible saves (of course we've got a system in place to prevent people loading incompatible saves even if they DO remain, but you don't have that)
- Delete the "options" file. This restores all settings to default, which is good since especially adding new keyboard controls (which your modpack does) tends to mess up key assignment until you reset the controls to default. This takes care of that automatically.

Here's some sample "empty" batch file code that you can use for your CoAS modpack:
Code:
@echo off
echo -----------------------------------------------------------------------
echo DO NOT WORRY ABOUT "FILE NOT FOUND" ERRORS!
echo These usually occur when removing files that are already not there
echo or moving files that are already where they need to be
pause

REM Delete unnecessary main game files
del memory.mp
del /Q SAVE\*.*
del options

REM Set up Build 14 code
RD /s /Q PROGRAM
RD /s /Q RESOURCE\INI
ren PROGRAM_new PROGRAM
ren RESOURCE\INI_new INI

REM -- STICK WHATEVER YOU WANT MOVED/COPIED/RENAMED DOWN HERE --

echo Installation Complete!
echo Batch File will now be removed
echo Please refer to the information in the "Documentation" folder
echo For support and to provide feedback, visit www.piratesahoy.net
pause

del /Q *.bat
It contains all lines you can directly use for CoAS. All game-specific stuff you'll still need to fill in.

I'm now at last installing the CM v3. Some suggestions:
- Stick all your documentation in a folder "\Documentation" instead of letting it loose in the main game folder.
- Clean up the documentation; right now I already have 10 different ReadMe files.
This can get really out of hand, so prevent that while it's not too confusing just yet!
- There was a seadogs.c and console.c in the main game folder; these should be in the PROGRAM folder
- Make sure that the patches DON'T extract to subfolders
- DO use the "SFX" function of 7-Zip!

What's wrong with the sails of the Flying Dutchman? They're incredibly blocky, apart from the alpha map.
Seriously, get the PotC Build Mod Dutchman sails! :shock

Also, I think I do understand what those reviews mean by "bad graphics".
This here island, Bermuda(?), has got a whole bunch of very ugly-looking trees on it.
And the sea doesn't even look THAT appealing. I actually really like the simple, clean, but appealing look of PotC!

And what's my ship name "Wind Chaser" for? Can't you change the default ship name based on the selected character?

Galeon1 was made by-----------------------------------???
I take it that is the PotC Galeon1? That's a stock game ship, made by Akella.

Some issues I found in my two-minute testing:
- Flying Dutchman gets the ship texture as image
- In some interfaces Davy Jones gets a portrait, in others he doesn't

Question: Why didn't you change the model names for ships like the "PO_Fleut50"?
The "PO_" part is part of my PotC Build 14 Beta 1 endeavour to group nation-specific ship types together.
So "PO_" would be a Portuguese ship.

thanks for the heads up...It looks like we have more issues to fix for the next release...

And what's my ship name "Wind Chaser" for? Can't you change the default ship name based on the selected character?
If I change the ship's name to "Flying Dutchman" in F2>Ships, the text on the screen still doesn't change.
Maybe after a reload, but I didn't try that much.

The Dutchman had it's sails replaced with the POTC sails in version two, I don't know why you're seeing something else.

PO_fleut.....I never noticed xD: It could be something that's been left over from the JSCM, Luke159 is our ship expert, perhaps he could fix that.

The ship/character pictures is something we have been struggling with since CMv1, it sounds simple to fix but there's always something wrong going on :shrug

In regards to the read me, I suppose they could use some organizing.

Lastly, Windchaser is the default starting name of the ship, to change it you'll have to rename the ship. After you do, next time you're on land or at sea and then load back to your ship, the new name should show.

Glad to see you finally got CoAS Pieter :cheers

I've "had" CoAS for quite a while. I still only "have" it. I never played it though and didn't install any of the recent modpacks.
Now I got a way to run it without [...], so from now on whenever I give you a code suggestion, I can at least check if it crashes or not.
I don't expect to actually do much playing of the game or much of anything, really, though. :shrug

I installed the CM v3 in the correct order on top of the stock game.
Then I added the trade mod (appears it was already included) and the books and loyalty mods.
And that's basically what I ran with. And that had crappy sails. :?

Wheeee; I just got a crash in the first town! Some dude went to talk with me, showing no dialog.
I kept pressing space, hoping to get out of the dialog. So instead the ENGINE crashed on me.

For the release to the modDB i have put the console and seadogs file in the proper 'PROGRAM' folder, as well as all readme's/documentation in its own folder as well and will be creating a sfx that will extract to Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\

I will try to upload it tonight, if not, it will be done after the weekend :onya

Actually, if you make it a 7-Zip self-extracting EXE, you can't give it a default folder to install to.
So make sure you zip them the way you've been doing before, so without additional subfolders, just the PROGRAM and RESOURCE folders.

Hi!

I presume updating from a previous version requires to start a new game? Is there a way to speed up the start since getting to the point where I was takes a lot of time? Quests won't matter but skills, level etc...

To answer your question yes there is.

Go to the game directory (Playlogic -> Age of Pirates 2 -> Program -> Characters) once here search down the list for a text file named RPGUtilite and open it with notepad.

There is allot of text in this file so the easiest way to find what you want is to click edit and use the find panel and past "ch.skill.freeskill" into the box minus the quotation marks.

There will be a number after an equals sign you can change this number to anything you like I changed it to 1000 just to try it out and it levels you to around lvl 46.

When you start a new game you can use your skill points after you tell the sailor that your going ashore and when you are on land by hitting F2 and clicking the arrow that should now appear on the skill you wish to change.

Try this code to make your starting location depending on selected nation again.
In PROGRAM\Characters\RPGUtilite.c replace this:
Code:
    // êóäà ïëûâåì
if (rand(10) != 4)
{
ch.HeroParam.ToCityId     = "Pirates";
}
else
{
ch.HeroParam.ToCityId = "Pirates";
}
//ch.HeroParam.ToCityId = "Santiago";
// îòêóäà ïëûâåì
With this:
Code:
    // êóäà ïëûâåì
switch(sti(ch.nation))
{
case ENGLAND: ch.HeroParam.ToCityId = "Bridgetown"; break;
case SPAIN:   ch.HeroParam.ToCityId = "Santiago";   break;
case FRANCE:  ch.HeroParam.ToCityId = "BasTer";     break;
case HOLLAND: ch.HeroParam.ToCityId = "Marigo";     break;
ch.HeroParam.ToCityId = "Pirates"; // Default, used for PIRATE
}
// îòêóäà ïëûâåì

looks good to me...If all proves to be well I will be sure to include it in our next release

Ok so i wanted to try this out and for some reason or another it broke my game.

My install order was as follows:

COAS vanilla
COASCM v3.0 (used installer though i installed to the wrong directory and i just grabbed all the files in the wrong directory and moved them to the COAS dir)
COASCM v3.0 patch 1 (extract to COAS dir)
COASCM v3.0 patch 1.5 (extract to COAS dir)

Then i noticed the console.c and seadogs.c files in the main dir and moved them to the program directory.

But now when i try to run the thing it just crashes with a runtime error.

Now im pretty sure i screwed up somewhere during that install process. So would be nice if someone hinted towards my mistake :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back