• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot Confirm Companion Ships not Joining in Fight?

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Today I've been doing some tests with forcing enemy ships to surrender and seeing what happens with relations upon doing that.
But while I've got an impressive fleet (given to myself through cheating), I have yet to see ANY of my companions fire their cannons.

This seems a bit of a mystery to me because:
- They DO have cannonballs and gunpowder
- They ARE also personally hostile to the ships they're meant to attack (I double-checked)

So has anyone noticed the same through normal play? Or do your companions actually DO something for real?

I seem to have noticed before that cheat-given companions don't fire on forts when normal ones do.
Could that be the case here as well?

are we talking companions or officers sailing a ship?
You might want to do an attribute dump and see which AI tasks they have assigned.
I think normal companions will get the run tasks while officer ships should get the attack tasks

The only companion ship I've been interested in having fire at an enemy ship recently was Justinian. Theoretically you're supposed to be her companion but the game doesn't work that way. Anyway, this is Hornblower's battle against the Temeraire early in the story and Justinian certainly does fire - being a 3rd rate while you're in a frigate, she does most of the damage.

I play as "Michiel de Ruyter" having four big ships and they all engage well, doing
a great job. Sometimes it seems like they trying to run away, so I have to command
them back, but all over they do fine.

Maybe it is just a "cheat companions" thing then. :facepalm

are we talking companions or officers sailing a ship?
You might want to do an attribute dump and see which AI tasks they have assigned.
I think normal companions will get the run tasks while officer ships should get the attack tasks
What is the difference? I mean "ships in my fleet".

Has anyone seen companion ships fire on other ships with one of this week's releases?
I'd like to confirm that this is "Not a Bug".

Good news! Must be something different with those cheat companions then.
But I don't care so much about those. As long as it doesn't also affect storyline companions.

Back