• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Error with Tutorial Officer in Tavern

ANSEL

Corsair
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Storyline: The Might of Spain. The tutorial officer, in San Juan tavern, is standing at
the table and have no dialog box. The dialog is coming up entering the Tavern and not
as expected.

Storyline: The Might of Spain. The tutorial officer, in San Juan tavern, is standing at
the table and have no dialog box. The dialog is coming up entering the Tavern and not
as expected.
Maybe something went wrong at game start? I am still having the occasional weirdness with that when I have a still-open dialog with him AFTER the reload, which doesn't go away.
I did notice the tutorial officer in a tavern after a custom start before, but he behaved himself properly that time.
Try a new game and check only the officer in the tavern to see if he works normally then. I fear this might be another inconsistent problem. :modding

Sorry, it is not the tutorial standing at the table, but another officer, as you
can see at the attached picture. But there is something odd with the tutorial
officer, he and the dialog comes up first time you enter the tavern, then he
disappears and wont be there anymore.PS. I think the compile tells what is wrong.
seadogs2_0008.jpg

Attachments

• compile.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Maybe something went wrong at game start? I am still having the occasional weirdness with that when I have a still-open dialog with him AFTER the reload, which doesn't go away.
I did notice the tutorial officer in a tavern after a custom start before, but he behaved himself properly that time.
Try a new game and check only the officer in the tavern to see if he works normally then. I fear this might be another inconsistent problem. :modding
Please take a look on the compile file above.

Sorry, it is not the tutorial standing at the table, but another officer, as you
can see at the attached picture. But there is something odd with the tutorial
officer, he and the dialog comes up first time you enter the tavern, then he
disappears and wont be there anymore.PS. I think the compile tells what is wrong.
That IS the guy who promoted you at the beginning of the game, right?

I'll have to test myself some time. Last time I checked, this did work. But of course with all the rewrites.... :facepalm
Anyway, I'll first have to complete those rewrites before being able to reliably look into this one.

The officer on the picture is NOT the guy who promoted me in the beginning.
Dont know who or what he is.

I think this is a case of an actor type and/or node not set right...

The officer on the picture is NOT the guy who promoted me in the beginning.
Dont know who or what he is.
Does he have the same model, but not the same name? The only reason for him being there should be that he's actually "Malcolm Hatcher".

Template <follow> -> path not found chr.id = Malcolm Hatcher
Template <follow> -> timeout chr.id = Malcolm Hatcher
Template <follow> -> teleport chr.id = Malcolm Hatcher to pos(-3.8112, 1.0002e-004, -0.98565)
Template <follow> -> path not found chr.id = Enc_Officer_0
Template <follow> -> path not found chr.id = Enc_Officer_1
Template <follow> -> path not found chr.id = Enc_Officer_2
I found this?

Well, now im confused, this is the seventh time I started a new game,
and now the problems has gone:shock, maybe it is a random thing.

Well, now im confused, this is the seventh time I started a new game,
and now the problems has gone:shock, maybe it is a random thing.
I just tested this and the same thing happened to me.
So it is probably as I feared: A real, but inconsistent problem. :modding

I'll look into it when I can spare the time.

@Pieter Boelen where are these tutorials managed again (the questcode)? I might have an idea what the problem is.

Should be related to these quests cases in the Free Play and Standard both_reaction.c files:
Code:
Quest name DialogWithMalcolmStart FOUND in BothQuestComplete
Quest name stormystart FOUND in BothQuestComplete
Quest name begining FOUND in QuestComplete
Quest name TavernSitWaiting FOUND in BothQuestComplete
Quest name Custom_Start FOUND in BothQuestComplete

I think I figured out what is going on here at long last....

There is a "Tut_start1" case that is executed 3 seconds after you get into the tutorial cabin.
If you leave the cabin too fast, then that case is triggered AFTER "Malcolm" got teleported to the tavern, messing things up.

Looking further in detail, it seems that case contains a lot of excessive code that serves very little purpose.
The only purpose that IS in there is that you can attack Malcolm while still in your cabin and you'll get a "reward" for being so nasty.
I have now moved the one line of code responsible for allowing that into the actual "tutorial start dialog" case.
That seems to have worked, so you CAN get your weapons, equip them and attack Malcolm straight away if you so please.

The whole "Tut_start1" stuff has been removed so cannot possibly mess anything up anymore.
I'm calling this one "Fixed" but of course do keep an eye on this for the next release(s)! :cheers

Back