• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Experience and other on screen messages

thrakkemarn

Landlubber
Hi folks. New here, just stumbled across this game and this fantastic mod. So far I am loving it and the storylines, but especially the awesome sailing gameplay!

Anyway, what I wanted to ask about is the excessive amounts of on screen messages that popup during combat etc. It will list line after line of "gained sailing experience" "gained accuracy 4%" etc
The result of this is that an important messages that get popped up are totally lost in the flood.
I'm just wondering if there is anyway for me to turn off or edit which popups are displayed? I did a little searching and couldn't find anything.

If it helps I am using the latest build 14 + patch 3.1, along with the Historical Ship Pack + Patch.

Thanks for the great mod and keep it up!

hi there and welcome to the forum!

i never managed to get all the "spam" messages go away but if you press the L button you can turn of various logs.
hope it helps xD:

Thanks, guess that's one way to alleviate the problem.
For the sake of not spamming the board, perhaps I can ask another question here:

During storms, I seem to totally lose control of my ship, regardless of its size or whether I have sails up or down.
Essentially I start spinning like a top (in a totally unrealistic manner) and occasionally I've had small ships (sloops) destroyed by shifting cargo!
Is this a bug or am I doing something very wrong?

When in a storm you need to point your ship into or with the waves to keep it from capsizing. Doing that will also keep your cargo from shifting and going overboard. For some reason ships don't like to turn right in storms, but most will. The ships don't seem to turn at all with full sails so try battle sails or no sails. On rare occasions your ship will start spinning to the left very quickly. If you can survive the storm, then going to the world map will get you out of it. Hope this helps.

When in a storm you need to point your ship into or with the waves to keep it from capsizing. Doing that will also keep your cargo from shifting and going overboard. For some reason ships don't like to turn right in storms, but most will.
Yeah, I see the little message popup that says to turn my bow into the waves, the problem is the ship doesn't respond to rudder.
Do you mean they don't like to turn starboard or they don't like to turn properly?

The ships don't seem to turn at all with full sails so try battle sails or no sails. On rare occasions your ship will start spinning to the left very quickly.
This seems to happen to me every single time I get caught in a storm, regardless of what ship I am captaining. =(

Well thanks for the advice, maybe I'll try reinstalling the game or something.

Yeah. When caught in a storm the ships like to turn to port and don't like to turn to starboard. The wave action seems to knock the ships around so the larger, more stable ships are usually ok. I capsized a Lugger because while it wanted to turn, the waves kept pushing it back. A higher skill rating helps too.

It seems to happen every time? That's not right.

The spinning in storms problem seems to be a consistent problem, but I have -so far- never gotten it.
I wonder if it could possibly be related to the Willemstad Builders' Trials ship handling rebalancing project.
Try switching the game to Arcade mode, start a new game and see if it gets better, worse or remains the same.

What I did notice is that if you take a manoeuvrable ship and apply 30x time compression, she can start spinning like mad as well. :facepalm

The spinning in storms problem seems to be a consistent problem, but I have -so far- never gotten it.
I wonder if it could possibly be related to the Willemstad Builders' Trials ship handling rebalancing project.
Try switching the game to Arcade mode, start a new game and see if it gets better, worse or remains the same.
Like I said somewhere else before, I think Realistic Mode does have an effect. That would explain why WBT could be a possible cause, since it changes realistic handling for every ship. That's a heck of a lot to change, though.

Back