• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed French Start Standard Storyline Errors: Locked Speighstown Tavern and Edgar Attwood

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Just some notes for future reference:
The tavern at Speightstown is locked. I can get in fine but getting out requires creativity, such as teleporting into the fort and then running back into town. All of the missions in Speightstown are now completed.

The soldier reinforcements are a great joy. When you go to Speightstown for the first time you are challenged by the two gate guards, with the choice to bluff your way past or kill them. After they die four more soldiers now come running up. Nothing but fun. At least the seven or so soldiers you fight on the waterfront do not get reinforced. I used 34 grenades on them and finished off the last one with me sword.

The Edgar Attwood works fine until the fight in the prison where reinforcements arrive. Luckily for me they stopped and let Silehard come in to talk to me, or I would have died for sure. Then at the waterfront Attwood showed up and we conversed normally, but he never became a member of my crew. I accepted him and he followed me around but when I left he stayed behind and is not on my roster.

There is more but I forget what they are.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Barbados.7z
    571.9 KB · Views: 56
  • -=Player=- Jamaica.7z
    574.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Since when is the Speightstown Tavern locked from the inside?

When I tested Edgar not so long ago, he joined the crew just fine and I finished his sidequest as Nelson.

Since when is the Speightstown Tavern locked from the inside?

When I tested Edgar not so long ago, he joined the crew just fine and I finished his sidequest as Nelson.

Since the May 12 Zip. Edgar Attwood has always worked for me before too.

I just played the standard tutorial and after it is finished the tavern is unlocked.

Since the May 12 Zip.
So the Tavern is closed from the inside ever since the start of the game? And that is with a French standard storyline start?
If you start a new game with the same settings and go straight there, does it happen too?
How about if you try on default settings instead?
I'd like to know if the French tutorial is to blame.

^ Reposted for tracking purposes.

I started the standard storyline using the standard start and the tavern at Speightstown was not locked after I finished the tutorial. I went out of town and into the fort and back and the tavern is still unlocked.

My suspicion is that it is something to do specifically with starting the Standard Storyline as a French character rather than the default English.
I don't think many people made use of that feature over the years, so any bugs with it probably slipped under the radar until now.

The Edgar Attwood works fine until the fight in the prison where reinforcements arrive. Luckily for me they stopped and let Silehard come in to talk to me, or I would have died for sure. Then at the waterfront Attwood showed up and we conversed normally, but he never became a member of my crew. I accepted him and he followed me around but when I left he stayed behind and is not on my roster.
I cannot confirm that, I'm afraid. Loaded your savegame and hired Edgar.
He got into my officer party, shows up in the Passengers Interface and also under F2>Character.
Even after setting sail, he's still there. Am I misunderstanding this issue? :confused:

Indeed those soldier reinforcements in the prison aren't intentional. This will probably serve as a good test case for sorting that out.
I also caught a line mismatch in Robert Christopher Silehard's dialog file. I'm surprised nobody mentioned that before.
His dialog text could also do with a bit of spell-checking; it isn't very good.... :wp

That was the first time Attwood had a problem that I can remember and it sounds like a personal problem.

The tavern at Speightstown is locked. I can get in fine but getting out requires creativity, such as teleporting into the fort and then running back into town.
Problem confirmed, found and fixed. In PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\quests\both_reaction.c there was a typo. This:
Code:
case FRANCE: rldLocator = "reload1"; loadPort = "Falaise_de_fleur_tavern"; break;
Should be this:
Code:
case FRANCE: rldLocator = "reload1"; loadTavern = "Falaise_de_fleur_tavern"; break;
Note how the first states PORT instead of TAVERN. That means the tavern isn't defined for France and therefore it closes the default Speighstown one instead.

Executing this through console should fix the door in your savegame, I think:
Code:
chrEnableReloadLocator("Oxbay_tavern", "reload1", true);

That was the first time Attwood had a problem that I can remember and it sounds like a personal problem.
Did you reload your save and try again? I did play with his hiring code recently, but I tested it then and today again and it works for me.
I did notice the "took money" sound was missing and he said 1500 gold but took 2000, so I at least fixed those two things.

I do not remember if I tried from a save or not. Probably not as the last save was most likely before entering the tavern to talk to Danielle and
that is a lot of fighting to go through again.

I do not remember if I tried from a save or not. Probably not as the last save was most likely before entering the tavern to talk to Danielle and
that is a lot of fighting to go through again.
You can try from the save you uploaded above. That's the one I tested from. :yes

Is it like that for other countries also?
Nope, the other nations look OK.
So quite lucky really that you happened to pick the bugged one so that we found out and could fix it! :onya

Good thing too. We don't want bugs to slip under the radar. Better that they're found! :cheeky

@Hylie Pistof, you recently played through the Standard Storyline, right? I have some questions about quest items.
When I was cleaning up, I noticed that certain items do not seem to be used anywhere at all, most specifically these ones:
Code:
//   n = InitQuestItem(n,"coins",       "coins",         "purse",   4,   15,     0,0,   "","",   "","",     "","",""   ); // Unused
//   n = InitQuestItem(n,"gov_letter",     "gov_letter",       "",       4,   3,     0,0,   "","",   "","",     "","",""   ); // Unused
//   n = InitQuestItem(n,"legend_piece",     "piece_of_legend",     "",       4,   6,     0,0,   "","",   "","",     "","",""   ); // Unused
//   n = InitQuestItem(n,"legend_copy",     "copyes_of_legend",     "",       4,   7,     0,0,   "","",   "","",     "","",""   ); // Unused
//   n = InitQuestItem(n,"rheims_letter",   "rheims_letter",     "",       4,   10,     0,0,   "","",   "","",     "","",""   ); // Unused
That is why I commented them out.

Do you remember if those items DID actually show up in your quest items before?
If they never did show, it might be nice to add them. After all, they DO exist and might add to the story too.

You want me to actually REMEMBER something? :8q I don't remember yesterday.

There is no mention of coins that I know of.
You take a letter from the Governor to Isenbrandt on Nevis, but that works.
I know of no legend.
You find something in Rheims house and take it to Silehard. A letter or journal?
:shrug

The coins must be the coins that are in the Owyn McDory's chest.

When you take the letter to Isenbrandt, do you actually have that item? Or does the quest work but you don't get it?

The "legend" is about the hints that lead you to the temple on Cozumel.
Wasn't there some library research with Clement before that?

:shrug Don't remember.

There is a spot where you get into a library but the relevant pages have been torn out by Danielle.

Back