• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Graphics Card!

antonyzac

Professional questioner
Hi there!

I'm planning on getting a new laptop this month, ASAP. I've been looking at ALOT and was wondering if any of the following will cause the shading issue caused by the sea to occur.

- intel HD 4000
- NVIDIA 710M
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650/630M

Most importantly, does the shading issue/crashes occur with intel HD 4000 still? Thanks!

the intel HD 4000 is an onboard chip, so it will need the intel-fix, which reduces the shading of the ocean. Also, an onboard grpahics card will NEVER be as fast/good as a "real" graphics-card. So if you really want to enjoy this and other games, take the NVIDIA graphics ;)

An Intel PROCESSOR is no problem at all; I've got one myself. Just make sure you don't have an Intel onboard GRAPHICS CARD.
Either of the nVidia's should work. What I did when I went to buy a laptop is to stick the PotC game files on an USB stick and try to run it in the store.
Might as well be CERTAIN it works, eh?

If I were you I would go for the 650M this is the best one of the graphics cards you listed. It should not have a single problem running PotC.

Also, an onboard grpahics card will NEVER be as fast/good as a "real" graphics-card.

In Intel's defence, they've been making great strides with the integrated graphics in their new chips over the past few years. Their newest Haswel chips should be more than a match for equivalent AMD/Nvidia cards.
The HD 4000 is actually fairly decent; it's just PotC that doesn't agree with it because Akella didn't include support for Intel chips.

well 4000 isn't the best neither however about the haswell chips i have to agree. if you have the money for it than do it because the HD5200 Pro or something like that is equivalent to a GT 650M.

Ah, well bear in mind that PotC will still not run without the Intel fix even if you use a brand new Intel integrated graphics chip.
The game simply doesn't support Intel graphics drivers to render its ocean. :facepalm
So if you're buying a new laptop with the intention to play PotC, you should definitely get an AMD or Nvidia graphics card.

Finally got the NVIDIA GeForce GT 710M with 2GB Dedicated Memory for my new laptop! Let's see how it does...is it a good choice? :)
I can't wait to see the sea looking normal again!
Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

Sonds good! You will probably need to make some adjustments to various settings to make sure it actually uses the Nvidia card instead of the Intel graphics.

Looks like I'll be having to ask about that once I get the laptop ;) Listen out for my cry for help! It WILL be a cry...

the ones who say that, have not a clue what they are talking about. The nVidia 710M is a new generation mobile card.
Their saying would have more power if they said that it ain't better then the Intel 5200 Pro

.. well I just read about the specifications.. If the Laptop is strong enough, a Intel HD4000 can be faster than the nvidia 710m
but the nvidia has of course the big advantage that it doesn't share the memory with the RAM. But for really playing (current) games the 710m.. well it is still a bit slow with 800Mhz.
Also it only has 64Bit Memory Bandwidth.
A good graphics card for multimedia-laptops, but you won't be able to play Battlefield 3 with it^^
PotC should run without any problems ;)

Awesome, thanks!
The only games I play with my laptop are PotC and Harry Potter...because I DO love my fantasy, adventure RPGs ;)

Well then you won't have problems.. I think with an good Processor, your laptop should even do skyrim relatively fine ;)

Back