• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Having a few problems

Reepah82

Landlubber
Having an issue to where I cant leave the deck of my ship after completing the very first part of the game, the old sailor comes and talks to you after you start a new game, then I go through his dialogue and finish all of that and he tells me about what I need to do when I go ashore, then he leaves and i'm alone on the deck of my ship and cant go anywhere, cant leave the deck, the first time I tried it I could get the quickmenu to show Open and Sea but it wouldn't do anything no matter which one I selected, so I restarted again and this time I have no option at all, just stuck on the deck of a ship with no where to go. anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks!

Last edited:
This is the intro in the Nathanial Hawke storyline?

Can you move on deck? There should be a location where you get this boat icon. Use that, and you are transported at shore. At least this is what is supposed to happen. You're supposed to get to shore, for the intro continues there at port.

My char. has likewise been immobilized after talking to bo'sun what's-his-name. I'm playing with cheats enabled (for now), which means all ships are available at startup. Some modded ships seem to freeze my char., others don't. Sometimes I can come unglued by telling him to skip the introductory stuff & head straight into town.

Hmmm. Methinks the ships that are freezing you are the larger ones that do not use the deck that is supposed to be used, causing a conflict.

Methinks you may be right. I haven't compiled a list of suspects yet--kind of tedious going through the intro just to find out--but I tend to prefer brute force to finesse. In games, anyhow...

What starting ship are you using? The ones I tested before, even the larger ones, all worked.

OK, I began with a virgin POTC installation, then added Build 14 plus ENB, enabled Cheat Mode, and changed the screen resolution to 1600 X 900. No other changes of any kind.

Man, I am so sick of Malcolm Hatcher walking in & saying "Aye, guv'nor?" Haven't tested all the vessels yet (not by a long shot), but I find Amsterdam, both Barfleurs, Centurion, the Heavy Pinnace-of-War, the Spanish War Galleon, and the Fragata Latina all leave my character glued to the deck after going through the introductory rigmarole. Can't grab my spyglass, can't reopen the dialogue with Malcolm, can't do anything useful except hit F1.

But this is weird: I inadvertently tried the Fragata Latina twice, and the 2nd time my character was fully mobile! I wonder if it's something to do with my memory configuration, my OS (32-bit Win XP) or just the Storm engine's mood.

Beats the heck out of me, Pieter. All I can say is Reepah82 isn't the only one who's had this problem...though it's more of a hiccup than a show-stopper: if I respond to Malcom's opening ramble by telling him to buzz off, I end up on the Speightstown dock & everything is hunky dory.

Hope this confusing report helps clear things up. :shrug (love the smileys on this site)

p.s. Some vessels that didn't gorch on me: the Jackass Bark, Arcadia Xebec, the corvette, the Aurora-class frigate, Grand Schooner, and the Corsair Frigate with red & black sails.

Last edited:
What I have noticed sometimes is that the game just completely locks up after closing the initial conversation with Malcolm.
No clue why, but usually trying again makes it work. Very annoying. Could that be what is plaguing you?
But in my case, even F1 stops responding.

BTW: If you do end up frozen, try pressing F12. A common issue is being locked as "actor" and that will set you back to "player type".

I wouldn't call it a plague since there is a workaround. The fact is, I've had very few problems or freezes running through the main scenario. Haven't tried the others yet, but I'm optimistic.

[ Edit (just saw your 'BTW' addendum): well, colour me stupid. I forgot all about F12 even though I've used it several times while boarding my hapless prey. Waddya know, it worked! :onya ]

Last edited:
Cheers,

even if it is not a plague ... it seems you'r pretty stuck in the intro. Can it be you'r playing the intro just to take a look at all the different ships?

Thanks, Skyworm, but I've come unglued: F12 seems to do the trick.

Since I'm reasonably familiar with the vanilla game--the half-baked attempt to latch on to the movie, the default ships & scenarios, etc.--I'm mostly interested to find out what's been added by the Pirates Ahoy! community. So far I'm having tons o' fun and looking forward to more. For what it's worth, I'm tremendously impressed with what's been accomplished to date. And I must say this is one of the friendliest, most helpful support sites I've stumbled across in my years (too many) of gaming!

Last edited:
Quirky beast, isn't it? Still, this is nothing compared to (heavily modded) Skyrim, and before that Oblivion & Morrowind...which remains my all-time favorite RPG. I made a few mods for Morrowind & contributed to several that were released, but it never occurred to me that POTC was susceptible to modding. Like, who would have thunk?

Anyway, as an experienced & halfway competent mod user, I had no trouble finding out where your girly files and the new improved default Surprise P.O.V. should go. So thanks again, eh? (as we say in Canada).

Back