• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Hornblower armed in prison

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
In "Hornblower", specifically "The Duchess and the Devil", when you arrive at the prison fort you're supposed to be disarmed thus:
Code:
       RemoveCharacterEquip(pchar, BLADE_ITEM_TYPE);
       RemoveCharacterEquip(pchar, GUN_ITEM_TYPE);
       EnableEquip(pchar, BLADE_ITEM_TYPE, false);
       EnableEquip(pchar, GUN_ITEM_TYPE, false);
If you are carrying a weapon but have none equipped, you will be auto-equipped with whatever the game thinks is the best weapon at the next scene change. (You can see this for yourself at any time you're on land. Unequip both your blade and gun, then walk to the next area of town.) I happen to own a musket+bayonet, formerly the property of the sidekick of the late Thierry Bosquet, but I never use it and don't have any ammo for it. Nevertheless, that's what is auto-equipped to me, which means this is me in prison:

musket.jpg

You have to look really carefully to see it because it's edge on, but I'm carrying a sword as well. So is Midshipman Hunter standing behind me, despite also being disarmed:
Code:
       RemoveCharacterEquip(characterFromID("Midshipman Hunter"), BLADE_ITEM_TYPE);
       RemoveCharacterEquip(characterFromID("Midshipman Hunter"), GUN_ITEM_TYPE);

I can't draw the weapons, nor can I re-equip to the weapon of my choice, which means I have to spend all that time in prison with a musket glued to my hip. Whatever code is supposed to put the musket on my shoulder didn't work.

Last edited:
The best solution might be too equip the player with bladeX4 (fists) and then lock the equip.
You'll still have something equipped, but at least not something you would notice.

You'd still need to equip the player with some sort of gun or projectile, otherwise he will still be auto-equipped with whatever is in his inventory.

And the fact that the musket is equipped on Hornblower's hip rather than on his shoulder is for the attention of @Jack Rackham. ;)

It is possible to de-equip a gun through the Inventory Screen without a new one taking its place, no?
Otherwise give him also a cobblestone to equip. :cheeky

Last edited:
Never mind Pieter. I think it's better to stop the unwanted hip mode earlier. Got an idea.

Is this ONLY a problem in this particular situation?
The "fists and cobblestone" approach might get past all weirdness without substantial reworking of any of the current game systems, no?

If I understood it right Hornblower got a musket from another character and the model was for some reason
in hip mode. Maybe this can also happen if an enemy is killed while in hipmode with a musket? To prevent any of this
I'm going to make a check in the exchange items interface.

Correct - I got the first musket from a dead enemy, didn't normally equip it, then it was auto-equipped after I'd been disarmed in prison, and went onto Hornblower's hip.

Later I got some more and put them in the weapons locker, where the crew found them, took them on the next boarding and duly got themselves killed. When I retrieved them from the dead crew the muskets were in blade mode and had no proper descriptions in inventory. If I equip one, draw it and then holster/sheath it, it turns into a proper musket with bayonet and gets the correct inventory entry. I also gave one to Sharpe, who had been assigned to me by the story and was now an immortal officer in the same boarding, and after we'd cleared a deck he holstered the musket and it turned into a proper musket with bayonet.

Talking of Sharpe, any objection to equipping him and his men with "LongRifle_C"? They're supposed to have rifles - Sharpe is very particular on this point when Hornblower comments on how good they are with muskets. Not that Sharpe's unit has muskets either, they're all equipped with pistols at the moment.

Talking of Sharpe, any objection to equipping him and his men with "LongRifle_C"? They're supposed to have rifles - Sharpe is very particular on this point when Hornblower comments on how good they are with muskets. Not that Sharpe's unit has muskets either, they're all equipped with pistols at the moment.
Common long rifle? Why not? :cheers

Common long rifle? Why not? :cheers
I have just done this in the character init files.
@Grey Roger: Do you know if the Riflemen get their weapons distributed to them later?
I noticed that in the early game, they only get "pistol1" which doesn't seem right.
But if they get something else later, that would override their now-corrected initial weapon assignments. :facepalm

I'm not sure off-hand. I'll need to watch for that when the Antigua battle starts. Sharpe certainly had the pistol when he accompanied me to Cayman to look for Quelp, which is shortly after "The Devil and The Duchess", because that's what I found on him when I handed him a musket.

I'm not sure off-hand. I'll need to watch for that when the Antigua battle starts. Sharpe certainly had the pistol when he accompanied me to Cayman to look for Quelp, which is shortly after "The Devil and The Duchess", because that's what I found on him when I handed him a musket.
Ah, Sharpe! Forgot to outfit him with a rifle. Rectified now. :cheers

And that pretty much proves the riflemen have had no rifles for too long.

So whats the status on this?

So whats the status on this?
@Grey Roger applied cobblestones to prevent something else being equipped.
And I just added some if-statements to only give that cobblestone if you don't already have one (just to prevent you getting a whole bunch from multiple imprisonments).
So as far as the original issue is concerned, this should be Fixed.

Back