• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

JRH quest

The thing is... most of the times I get my CTD before even reaching the top!

The thing is... most of the times I get my CTD before even reaching the top!
Yes I have had those too, maybe even on the way down.
I don't really know how I can help. If there are any files you have messed up I can upload what you want of my versions.

As far as I can tell, my files don't actually seem messed up. I managed to get through without CTD at least once, so it IS possible with my files.
It's just very inconsistent and unstable somehow. :modding

I just did some more testing and managed to get through without a CTD four times in a row. Three times I press Space to continue as soon as I could.
The fourth time, I was a bit slower with pressing it, but it still worked. The fifth time I was being deliberately dead slow with pressing Space and then the game crashed.
Could it be that being too slow with continuing makes the game crash? If so... WHY??? :shock

Attachments

• compile.log
    218.1 KB · Views: 85
  • error.log
    1.8 KB · Views: 72
  • system.log
    84 KB · Views: 88
Could it be that being too slow with continuing makes the game crash? If so... WHY???
I have more had the feeling that being to quick generated CTD:s. Maybe it's not the speed at all?

I'll try my current game again. Maybe I was just lucky. But if so Talisman had a lucky day too. :huh

I have just played the Pirate Flag raising through a couple of times again.

The first two times there was no problem - the third time it CTD as I raised the flag.

I didn't do anything diffferent each time ( & had nothing running in background - never do have )

Perhaps it is just completely random :shock :shrug

:xmas

I tried that part 5 times. 4 ok + 1 CTD (raising the flag) and that was when I played at 3X time.

errorlog as Talisman but also:

RUNTIME ERROR - file: utils.c; line: 2295
Invalid range
RUNTIME ERROR - file: characters\characters_events.c; line: 274
missed attribute: location
RUNTIME ERROR - file: characters\characters_events.c; line: 274
no rAP data

:gday I think I've found something. All locatorfiles were equipped with flag locators, that is there's a flag from start at the wood tower.
Then I tested it 15 times: 5 times speed x1, 5 times speed x3 and 5 times speed x10.
The game had a tough time to follow at the higher speeds but NOT ONE CTD!

So,
I could place a British flag there from start and just change 'nation' (townsack). Alternative 2.

Or,
place the 'flags' before Pyle raises the Jolly Roger very low (under ground). Alternative 1.

The thing is... sometimes I get a CTD even before you reach the point where you raise the flag. So that sounds to me like it's not related to the flags at all.
But then what IS it related to???

Ok, I have tested
place the 'flags' before Pyle raises the Jolly Roger very low (under ground). Alternative 1.
15 times at 3 speeds.
By that I have run the "visit to wood tower top" 30 times in a row without any CTD.
I may be wrong but somehow this gives me the feeling it can't crash (for me) any longer.

I have uploaded "new flag locator files". (To Shore_4)
It would be very interesting if you both Talisman and Pieter could put them in your (probably different, I guess)
games and see if there still can be any CTD:s.

Did some more tests. First few times, CTDs again. Two on raising the flag and one before that. Then after that, it decided to work for about five times in a row or so.
It doesn't seem more stable than before though. Still as random as ever.

Here's a proper suggestion! Put this line of code just prior to going outside of the tower:
Code:
DoQuickSave();
Then if the game DOES crash for a player, at least they'll always have a save to return to and try again.
Apparently, it generally WILL work properly eventually if you try long enough.
This isn't even remotely a proper fix, but it might at least decrease players' frustration if it does happen. :facepalm

This is really strange Pieter. The thing is it made difference in my game. I mean 30 in a row can't be just luck!
What differs between our games?

Let's wait a little and see if Talisman wants to try it too.

Well, we can keep the new files, since it seems to me that at least the change doesn't HURT and maybe indeed it DOES help.
I got through several times with and without those new files. But I got crashes with and without the files too. :shrug

I have uploaded "new flag locator files". (To Shore_4)
It would be very interesting if you both Talisman and Pieter could put them in your (probably different, I guess)
games and see if there still can be any CTD:s.

:gday

It might be a while before I can test this - as I have a small problem.

I installed the 2 bugfix packs ( 9 Dec & 15 Dec ) but I don't know if I messed it up :modding

I was going to go back to the beginning and look at the changes, but cannot start the Woodes Rogers story now.

I can start all the other stories & I can use a save from the W-R story from before I installed the bugfixes. OK

But if I try to do Woodes Rogers from the New Game - Start Story then I get a CTD.

I think I installed the bug fixes correctly - but I am going to redo it just in case.

If I did install them correctly - then I assume there is a problem with the StartStoryline file in the 15 Dec. Bugfix pack :shrug

:xmas

That error.log message means that a ship is used in the storyline's character init files that isn't in ships_init.c .

Back