• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Personal and Pirate Flag Selection

For the flag interface, texture work is what we DON'T need, because that's what we've already got. :cheeky
NO idea who can make the flag selection interface for us; Pirate_KK would be able,
but I haven't heard from him for quite a while and he's got some other WIP stuff to finish up first.

I think "change through dialog" is the way to go for now; not ideal, but better than no choice at all.
And I definitely WOULD appreciate somebody writing up descriptions for all pirate and personal flag,
preferrably including a note which historical/fictional characters they belonged to.

I'm not aware of that "sword in hand" flag having anything to do with PiratesAhoy?

Anyway, what I really need is something like this:

Period 2:
Per Flag 3: Flag of Amsterdam, used by Johan Elting as merchant. Red with horizontal black stripe and three white crosses.
Per Flag 7: Pirate-style flag of Amsterdam, used by Johan Elting as assassin. Red with horizontal black stripe and three white crossbones instead of crosses.
Pir Flag 1: Skull and crossbones with hourglass on black background.
Pir Flag 2: Skull and crossbones with hourglass on red background.
Pir Flag 3: Simple skull on black background.

But then it should be for all personal and pirate flags and preferrably contain a bit of interesting information on them where possible, for example what they were used for.

I'm doing something wrong. I tried to change flags but nothing changed.

Yes, this would be a much used mod.

For the flag interface, texture work is what we DON'T need, because that's what we've already got. :cheeky
NO idea who can make the flag selection interface for us; Pirate_KK would be able,
but I haven't heard from him for quite a while and he's got some other WIP stuff to finish up first.

I think "change through dialog" is the way to go for now; not ideal, but better than no choice at all.
And I definitely WOULD appreciate somebody writing up descriptions for all pirate and personal flag,
preferrably including a note which historical/fictional characters they belonged to.

I'm not aware of that "sword in hand" flag having anything to do with PiratesAhoy?

Anyway, what I really need is something like this:

Period 2:
Per Flag 3: Flag of Amsterdam, used by Johan Elting as merchant. Red with horizontal black stripe and three white crosses.
Per Flag 7: Pirate-style flag of Amsterdam, used by Johan Elting as assassin. Red with horizontal black stripe and three white crossbones instead of crosses.
Pir Flag 1: Skull and crossbones with hourglass on black background.
Pir Flag 2: Skull and crossbones with hourglass on red background.
Pir Flag 3: Simple skull on black background.

But then it should be for all personal and pirate flags and preferrably contain a bit of interesting information on them where possible, for example what they were used for.

look at the browser icon for this forum(the bit before the 'http://forum.piratesahoy.net' etc) ;)

It seems like the 'personal flag' which can be set in standard.c and are outlined in my post above(numbered 0-6) is, and should be different from what style/type of 'Pirate flag' you can raise. Is there a place in the files that determine the pirate flag you can raise? Maybe we can set something up like for the 'personal flags' where the player can simply put in the value(from a range) they want to get their 'Pirate flag' of choice?

Or maybe we can simply expand on the number of 'Personal flags' and add the extra flag types there. This may be easier really, but i have some difficulty in seeing the 'Pirate flag' as being like any other flag. The pirate flag is handled seperately in the game, and historically was seen as being different also. So maybe my first thoughts, of trying to expand the 'Pirate flag' range to work like the 'Personal flag' selection, so could be adjusted in standard.c or where ever etc?

I'm gonna get those descriptions done for you today, Pieter.
me.gif

Ok Pieter, here is the descriptions for ALL pirate and personal flags for all 6 periods.
me.gif

[attachment=6812:flag_descriptions.txt]

Period 1 Pirate Flags

1. Solid red flag with no design
2. Plain white skull alone on a black field
3. Emanuel Wynn's flag - White skull and crossbones with a white hourglass directly below on a black field.
4. Solid black flag with no design
5. Thomas Tew's flag - White arm wielding a sword on a red field
6. Emanuel Wynn's flag - White skull and crossbones with a white hourglass directly below on a red field.
7. Thomas Tew's flag - White arm wielding a sword on a black field

Period 1 Personal Flags

1. White cross on a red field dividing the flag into quadrants with a yellow eagle in the top left quadrant.
2. Red flag with a yellow sun or star at it's center
3. striped flag with 5 yellow stripes and 4 red stripes
4. Yellow flag with a open red cross
5. Flag divided into diagonal quadrants. Horizonalt quadrants are striped with 3 yellow stripes and 2 red stripes. Vertical quadrants are white with a black bird in the center.
6. Red flag with 2 crossed golden keys tied together with a blue ribbon.
7. Striped flag with a white stripe on top, blue in the middle, and red on the bottom. With a two headed crowned golden eagle holing a ball and scepter with a red shield on it's chest with a white knight design.

Period 2 Pirate Flags

1. Emanuel Wynn's flag - White skull and crossbones with a white hourglass directly below on a black field.
2. Emanuel Wynn's flag - White skull and crossbones with a white hourglass directly below on a red field.
3. Plain white skull alone on a black field
4. Thomas Tew's flag - White arm wielding a sword on a black field
5. Thomas Tew's flag - White arm wielding a sword on a red field
6. Solid red flag with no design
7. Solid black flag with no design

Period 2 Personal Flags

1. Black and white flag divideds into 8ths with a gold coat of arms in the center.
2. Red flag with a white castle.
3. Red flag divide in half horizontally by a black stripe with 3 white X's.
4. Yellow flag with a black lion with red claws breathing red flames.
5. Flag divided into quadrants by a blue cross/ Top let quadrent is red, top right is white, bottem left is white, and bottom right is red.
6. Red flag with four white arrow-heads pointing inward toward each other touching at the tips.
7. Red flag divide in half horizontally by a black stripe with 3 white cossbones.

Period 3 Pirate Flags

1. Calico Jack Rackham's/Hector Barbossa's flag - White skull with crossed swords on a black field.
2. Christopher Moody - White arm wielding a dagger and a yellow skull and crossbones and a yellow hourglass with black wings on a red field.
3. Blackbeard's flag - White horned skeleton holding an hourglass and wielding a spear stabbing a red bleeding heart on a black field.
4. Stede Bonnet's flag - White skull with a single bone underneath with a heart and other design on each side on a black field.
5. Henry Every's flag - White skull turned to the side with crossbones on a red field.
6. Solid black flag with no design
7. Bartholomew Roberts' second flag - White pirate figure standing atop two skulls and wielding a sword on a black field with white letters reading: ABH AMH.

Period 3 Personal Flags

1. White crowned eagle on a red field
2. Red flag with a white castle.
3. Blue flag divided into quadrants by a white X.
4. Whitw flag with a golden lion.
5. White flag divided into quadrants by a blue X.
6. Blue-sleeved arm wiedling a scimitar on a red field.
7. Striped flag with a white stripe on top, blue in the middle, and red on the bottom. With a two headed crowned golden eagle holing a ball and scepter with a red shield on it's chest with a white knight design.

Period 4 Pirate Flags

1. Calico Jack Rackham's/Hector Barbossa's flag - White skull with crossed swords on a black field.
2. Thomas Tew's flag - White arm wielding a sword on a red field
3. Blackbeard's flag - White horned skeleton holding an hourglass and wielding a spear stabbing a red bleeding heart on a black field.
4. Stede Bonnet's flag - White skull with a single bone underneath with a heart and other design on each side on a black field.
5. Henry Every's flag - White skull turned to the side with crossbones on a red field.
6. Jack Sparrow's flag - White skull turned to one side with a beaded dreadlock and crossbones with a red bird on the side on a black field.
7. Bartholomew Roberts' second flag - White pirate figure standing atop two skulls and wielding a sword on a black field with white letters reading: ABH AMH.

Period 4 Personal Flags

1. Whie flag divided into quadrants by a red cross with a red bird with black outline in the upper left quadrant.
2. Blue flag wita golden bird.
3. Blue flag divided into quadrants by a white cross with a white design in each quadrant.
4. Blue flag bearing the insignia of the East India Trading Company.
5. Blue flag divided into quadrants by a white X.
6. Red flag divided into 8ths with by a white cross and a blue X.
7. Red flag with four white arrow-heads pointing inward toward each other touching at the tips.

Period 5 Pirate Flags

2. Blackbeard's flag - White horned skeleton holding an hourglass and wielding a spear stabbing a red bleeding heart on a black field.
3. Solid black flag with no design
4. Plain white skull alone on a black field
5. Bartholomew Roberts' second flag - White pirate figure standing atop two skulls and wielding a sword on a black field with white letters reading: ABH AMH.
6. Thomas Tew's flag - White arm wielding a sword on a black field
7. Stede Bonnet's flag - White skull with a single bone underneath with a heart and other design on each side on a black field.

Period 5 Personal Flags

1. White flag with a Brtish flag design up the top left corner with a green 4 leaf clover in the bottom right corner.
2. Blue flag divided into quadrants by a white X.
3. Red flag divided into quadrants by a white cross.
4. blue flag divided into quadrants by a yellow cross.
5. Yellow flag with a red lion wielding a bluew sword.
6. Blue flag divided into quadrants by a white cross with a white design in each quadrant.
7. The "Serapis flag" of the USA. A striped flag with 13 stripes, 4 blue, 5 red, and 4 white, a blue field in the upper left corner with 13 stars.

Period 6 Pirate Flags

2. Blackbeard's flag - White horned skeleton holding an hourglass and wielding a spear stabbing a red bleeding heart on a black field.
3. Solid black flag with no design.
4. Plain white skull alone on a black field
5. Bartholomew Roberts' second flag - White pirate figure standing atop two skulls and wielding a sword on a black field with white letters reading: ABH AMH.
6. Thomas Tew's flag - White arm wielding a sword on a black field
7. Stede Bonnet's flag - White skull with a single bone underneath with a heart and other design on each side on a black field.

Period 6 Personal Flags

1. Red flag with a Brtish flag design up the top left corner and a french horn on the bottom right corner.
2. Continental Navy flag. Striped flag with 13 stripes, 7 red, 6 white and snake with the words: Don't tread On me.
3. Whie flag covered with small golden desgins.
4. Black crowned eagle wielding a sword and scepter on a white field
5. British Naval flag. Blue flag with British flag design in the top left corner.
6. Red flag with British flag design in the top left corner.
7. Red flag divided into quadrants by a white cross.

It would be more historically accurate to swap the Serapis flag and the Continental Navy flags. The C.N. flag would would be more appropriate as a personal flag in period 5 and the Serapis flag would be more appropriate (ok it's a little bit of a stretch since it was a 1779 flag) as a personal flag for period 6.

Ugh. I know it's historical, but I can't stand the Serapis flag. lol
modding.gif

Wow, that's a very comprehensive list of descriptions! Nice work. :onya

Here's a few comments and minor corrections of mine:

Period 1 Personal Flags
3. Striped flag with 5 yellow stripes and 4 red stripes
5. Flag divided into diagonal quadrants. Horizontal quadrants are striped with 3 yellow stripes and 2 red stripes...

Period 2 Personal Flags

1. Black and white flag divided into 8ths with a gold coat of arms in the center.
5. Flag divided into quadrants by a blue cross. Top left quadrant is red, top right is white, bottem left is white, and bottom right is red.
7. Red flag divide in half horizontally by a black stripe with 3 white crossbones.

Period 3 Personal Flags
4. White flag with a golden lion.
6. Blue-sleeved arm wielding a scimitar on a red field.

Period 4 Personal Flags

1. White flag divided into quadrants by a red cross with a red bird with black outline in the upper left quadrant.
2. Blue flag with a golden bird.

Period 5 Personal Flags

1. White flag with a British flag design up the top left corner with a green 4 leaf clover in the bottom right corner.
4. Blue flag divided into quadrants by a yellow cross.
5. Yellow flag with a red lion wielding a blue sword.

Period 6 Personal Flags

1. Red flag with a British flag design up the top left corner and a French horn on the bottom right corner. [OR: British Red Ensign with a French horn in the bottom right corner]
2. Continental Navy flag. Striped flag with 13 stripes, 7 red, 6 white and snake with the words: DONT TREAD ON ME. [doesn't have the apostrophe AFAIK?]
3. White flag covered with small golden designs. [OR: Standard of the French royal family]
5. British Naval flag. Blue flag with British flag design in the top left corner. [OR: British Blue Ensign]
6. Red flag with British flag design in the top left corner. [OR: British Red Ensign]
There are probably a few more of those flags with proper names (like the British ensigns), but I haven't looked them up yet.

Swapping the Continental Navy flag with the Serapis flag should be as easy as swapping the flags on the textures.
See RESOURCE/Textures/Flags/perflag5&6.tga if you want to have a go yourself. ;)

That's great, Legendary Spider and Armada! Indeed I think some more personal flags do actually have names; if you can find those, that'd be great.
Also, some of the historical pirate flags are being used for PotC AWE film pirates as well; maybe you can add a note on those too?

The British white ensign with the shamrock on it is supposed to be "Lucky" Jack Aubrey's personal flag.
In similar fashion, the British red ensign with the French horn on it is supposed to be Horatio HORNblower's flag.
They're not historical or even accurately fictional, but we wanted to have distinguishable,
yet sort-of appropriate personal flags for them. Maybe you can add a note on those?

Also please do mention that Period 2 Flag 3 is the flag of Amsterdam and Period 2 Flag 7 is a fictional semi-pirate edition of the same.
In the Assassin storyline, you use the Amsterdam flag until you turn Assassin, at which time you start using the semi-pirate version of it.

Basically, it would be ideal if you could name the flag and then describe what it looks like.
Then when that's done, I'll see about finding some time to come up wth the code to choose through dialog.

Which characters would you reckon should offer the flag choice dialogs?
Here's some options:
1. Tavern hired officers (and any quest officers that get to use Enc_Officer_dialog.c)
2. Crewmembers on your ship's deck
3. Permanent crewmembers ashore
4. Shipyard owners
Ideally, I reckon it should only be one of the above.

Probably a crew member on deck. I think that would be ideal and be nice and easy. Thanks for fixing my typos Armada, I'll update the file with your fixes. Ok Pieter, I didn't know if you wanted to mention the flags the the pirates used in AWE.

What's up with some of the plain red or plain black pirate flags? That seems kinda boring. I know there's more jolly roger designs we haven't used that we could replace those with. Also some of the Jolly Rogers seem a bit repetitive. Like Period 1 and 2 are pretty much the same and period 5 and 6 are EXACTLY the same. Any chance would could fix that?
dunno.gif

Probably a crew member on deck. I think that would be ideal and be nice and easy.
I agree with this, makes sense and keeps it 'on ship', so less likely to interfere with quests, town dialogues etc.

On the whole flag issue thing, in standard.c(in \PROGRAM\Storyline) you have these lines(in the current build version):

sl.(sn).start.Flags.Pirate =1;
sl.(sn).start.Flags.Personal =0;

I'll amend my list of personal flags as i've done a bit of research and we have:

0= Polish flag
1= Civil flag of Hamburg(the white castle on a red background, so a German flag)
2= Scotish flag(Blue/white diagonal cross)
3= Golden lion(passant, likely the 'Lion of England')
4= Ensign of the Russian navy
5= Pirates Ahoy! symbol(arm and sabre browser icon)
6= Russian Presidents flag

in my perflg3.tga.tx file(\RESOURCE\Textures\flags) i've replaced number 4(Ensign of the Russian Navy) with the Welsh Dragon(Cadwaladr ap Cadwallon's standard). Looking at the textures here, they end on a 'blank' alpha channel, so it may be possible to simply extend the line of flags(they are all in one strip with the alpha channel 'blank' at the end) and insert new flags giving us more choice, simply change the number at the end of 'sl.(sn).start.Flags.Personal =' to whichever number corrosponds to the flag in the line of textures. I'll report back if this works or not(extending the number of flags).

EDIT: no it doesn't work. The convertor TX tool reports an error in the size of the tga file and cuts of the alpha 'blank' at the end of the flags texture. So it appears it is hard set to be just 7 flags(0-6) plus the alhpa 'blank'. That's 2048x128 only. Oh well.

In terms of the line just before the Personal flag code, it seems the Pirate flag you raise can be changed here also. I haven't looked at the textures involved, but just from the code it appears you simply can adjust the number to get whichever pirate flag you would like. If this works exactly like the Personal flags that is great as it keeps the role of the pirate flag/personal flag and national flags seperate.

I did some research and apparently plain black flags were used by a lot of pirates. I guess only noteworthy pirates had cool flags. lol
razz.gif

The convertor TX tool reports an error in the size of the tga file and cuts of the alpha 'blank' at the end of the flags texture. So it appears it is hard set to be just 7 flags(0-6) plus the alhpa 'blank'. That's 2048x128 only.
That's because the highest image resolution TX Converter can work with is 2048x2048, so you can't exceed that value in any direction. :facepalm
I think it's also the highest resolution of the textures that Maya allows, so that's probably why the limit exists.

Well.....darn. A real shame as i had visions of people making flags and putting a value between 0-99 and bingo! lots of personal flags. But this is moding PotC, so not always so easy.

What could be tried is extending the texture to start another row of flags below it. That might work, seeing as you've got a lot of vertical space before the pixel limit.
However, I've no idea how we'd need to modify the code to work with that, or if it's even possible. :shrug

darn. i could actually help with that if it wasn't in C++. i'm pretty sure i've got the info to do that for another code type somewhere. i'll go look it up.

i can't seem to find it.

Just to show that you can change flags to something more personal, i've put up two replacement textures for 'perflg3.tga.tx' on the ftp in my 'Graphics' folder. Make a backup of that original file and rename these following files to 'perflg3.tga.tx'

perflg3A.tga.tx - this replaces the Russian Naval flag(number 4) with a standard welsh flag
perflg3B.tga.tx - this replaces the Russian Naval flag(number 4) with the older Britton flag(a red dragon on a dark green background), this became the later welsh flag(circa 890 AD)

And as we are replacing a Russian flag(they have one already, no:6) the penant for no:4 is still in russian colours(blue/red/white), but that's fine for me currently and gives more varied colours anyway ;)

So with either one(but not both at the same time) of those replacement textures we end up with this for the Personal flag choices:

0= Polish flag
1= Civil flag of Hamburg(the white castle on a red background, so a German flag)
2= Scotish flag(Blue/white diagonal cross)
3= Golden lion(passant, likely the 'Lion of England')
4= Welsh/Britton dragon flag(depending on which texture you use)
5= Pirates Ahoy! symbol(arm and sabre browser icon)
6= Russian Presidents flag

Don't forget to change the code in standard.c to the flag number of choice.

--------------------------------------------------

I'd be really interested to know if these idea's you guyes were having about extending the number range of Personal flags can come to something, i'd be willing to take some requests and start(as a side project) to add more flags here, but simply adding one at a time(as in the way i did above to get those welsh flags) makes it a bit too labour intensive. So if somehow we can extend the canvass the game will read for personal flags(stuck at 2048x128 currently) this could be something worth looking to do.

Back