• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sea monsters

anna_13

Landlubber
I am obsessed with them! Does anyone here believe they exist? I personally do. I've never actually seen one but I'm hoping to someday.

It depends on what you mean by "sea monster".

There are certainly giant squids and even colossal squids:
Giant squid - Wikipedia
Colossal squid - Wikipedia

The largest shark still alive is the whale shark:
Whale shark - Wikipedia
If you want to meet a sea monster, this is probably the safest way to do so because whale sharks are harmless to humans as they're filter feeders and eat plankton. They sometimes even allow humans to swim close to them.

One of the more recent reports of a genuine monster attacking a ship was the UB-85, a German WW1 U-boat which sank in 1918. The captain claimed it had been attacked by a sea monster with "large eyes, set in a horny sort of skull…with teeth that could be seen glistening in the moonlight". However, the truth is probably less monstrous and more incompetence on the captain's part. The submarine had spotted a British patrol ship approaching, crash-dived to avoid it, and then flooded itself because a hatch wasn't properly closed.
Wreck of German U-boat found off coast of Stranraer

Back