• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Updating the Russian Translation

I don't think we ever did anything to ensure that it's on. Maybe we only added the ammo line as a warning.

As a start, here's a somewhat cleaned up collection of the three 7-Zip archives from Corsairs-Harbour.ru:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/temp/RussianPatch_2017-05-16.7z

Now I'm doing a WinMerge between the "Saturday 7 January 2017" original English version; and the "Tuesday 16th May 2017" Russian version.
Will try to merge the results together with the above archive to see if we can isolate all the relevant files.

It's not in the storyline description but there is a note in "SettingsDescribe.txt":
Code:
NOTE: Ammunition required for certain storylines.
It may have been @Jack Rackham or I who put it there. In any case, it's only in the version of the file included in the update archive - it wasn't even in the May 2018 installer.
Just a warning for in the "Game Preferences" menu then, eh?
Easily missed then. Especially in older game versions that don't even have it...

As a start, here's a somewhat cleaned up collection of the three 7-Zip archives from Corsairs-Harbour.ru:
I have now created TWO files:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/temp/EnglishPatch_2017-05-16.7z

Doing a WinMerge between those two should show you every bit that was translated in the Corsairs-Harbour.ru files.

The next trick would then be to make sure all these changes are included into our current modpack version.

Last edited:
Perhaps one of those links is wrong? They're both pointing at the same file.

Comparing "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\RUSSIAN" from our version with "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH" from one of those files:

The "HELPSECTIONS" files aren't translated at all in our version - our "Russian" version is in English, that "English" version is in Russian. xD I've no idea whether it's correct but it has to be better Russian than our version, so those files are going in.

"QUESTBOOK" files are near identical. Sometimes the only difference is that one has a ":" in the title and the other has a "-". In others, our version has a prefix which is missing from theirs - probably "Side quest". But some of their sidequest files do have the prefix.

Storylines:
Ardent: Some files have been partially translated - the first part is in Russian, the last part still in English. Some others have been fully translated and have a comment at the end, "Edited by Corsairs Text Editor". Others appear to have been fully translated and have no such comment. The fully translated ones without the comment can go in.
Assassin: "The Aztec Treasure" has not been translated at all. Others seem to be fully translated and can go in.
Bartolomeu: fully translated, going in.
FreePlay: The "Beginning" files have not been translated, everything else has and can go in.
GoldBug: All files seem to have been translated, though a few files have that "Edited by Corsairs Text Editor" comment on the end. The ones without the comment can go in.
Hornblower: Apart from "Hunt the Traitors" which is both untranslated and incomplete, all files are translated, have no comment about the text editor, and can go in.
Standard: All done, all going in.
Woodes Rogers: Several files only partially translated. Others are fully translated and going in.​

Basic files: Some are already translated in our version, in which case I'll leave ours alone. Some aren't translated in the Russian version so there's no point in copying them. And a few aren't translated in our version, are translated in the Russian version, and they're the ones which are going in.

Last edited:
Two more cool finds of @Artess999's:
2021-06-28_21.34.38.png 2021-06-28_21.39.49.png

But for the real question:
Now how do we get into some progress on translating again?

I already made some steps.
How many more steps must I make by myself...? :rolleyes:

The file is plain text and you can edit it with Notepad, Wordpad, or any other text editor you prefe
I think, at free time i can do it. Anyway name or families at english not so big problem in comparison with the some dialogs at english. About
Have you installed another mod onto the game, possibly from Russia?
Yes, when i install mod at first time, i thought, new horizons without russian language and installed oldest translator to.

Dialogs can be found in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH". The Russian translations are in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN".

More dialogs which are only for FreePlay can be found in "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\DIALOGS\ENGLISH". There is no folder "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN" because these files have not yet been translated into Russian.

When the game can not find the Russian file, it tries to use the English file instead. That is why some characters speak English - there is no Russian version of their dialog files.

If you want to start translating the "FreePlay" dialog files, you should create folder "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN". Copy one of the files from the "ENGLISH" folder into this "RUSSIAN" folder, then start translating. You do not need to translate the whole lot - any character whose file has not been translated should still speak English but the game should not crash.

One important file which you may want to translate first is "Robert Fletcher_dialog.h". This is sometimes used by the officer in your cabin at the start of a game. Use the attached English file as a start because I've made a slight change.

The file is plain text, so you can edit it with Notepad, Wordpad, or any other text editor you prefer. Most lines are complete sentences, such as the first line:
Code:
"We've made port at the pirate settlement on #sisland_Quebradas Costillas#. I had my personal Roger hoisted so no one will give us trouble. The officers and a piece of your crew have elected to make their way through the jungle for #sCharlestown#. I guess they don't want to be hunted down by the English as traitors. Alas you don't have that option. I cannot thank you enough for what you did for my crew and me.",
Watch out for anything which starts with "#s" and ends with "#", such as "#sisland_Quebradas Costillas#" and #sCharlestown#. These are variables which will be filled in when the character speaks. Do not change it otherwise it won't work. The version of this file which you have now does not have these variables in this line, it just says "Nevis" and "Charlestown", which is wrong if you play in Early Explorers. That is why I changed them to variables. Now, if I play in Russian in "Early Explorers", this happens:
russian_bbf_early_start.jpg
Most of the text is still English but the island and town names are filled in. They are already translated into Russian.

You can translate the rest of the line. Again, translate as much or as little as you want. Anything you don't translate will still appear in English but should not crash the game. If you need help, just ask here!

Attachments

• Robert Fletcher_dialog.h
    37 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hello, I am writing from the Russian community. You probably already know about the problem of translation into Russian. When trying to translate something, a set of characters occurs as in the screenshot. I translated the game Build 14 FINAL Part 1 into Russian with the exception of a few stories (DevlinOpera; Hornblower; JackSparrow; WoodesRogers) Корсары 2 Новые горизонты (перевод AkrimalS) . Please try to fix this problem so that we can play this wonderful game.
pirates.png

Dialogs can be found in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH". The Russian translations are in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN".

More dialogs which are only for FreePlay can be found in "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\DIALOGS\ENGLISH". There is no folder "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN" because these files have not yet been translated into Russian.

When the game can not find the Russian file, it tries to use the English file instead. That is why some characters speak English - there is no Russian version of their dialog files.

If you want to start translating the "FreePlay" dialog files, you should create folder "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN". Copy one of the files from the "ENGLISH" folder into this "RUSSIAN" folder, then start translating. You do not need to translate the whole lot - any character whose file has not been translated should still speak English but the game should not crash.

One important file which you may want to translate first is "Robert Fletcher_dialog.h". This is sometimes used by the officer in your cabin at the start of a game. Use the attached English file as a start because I've made a slight change.

The file is plain text, so you can edit it with Notepad, Wordpad, or any other text editor you prefer. Most lines are complete sentences, such as the first line:
Code:
"We've made port at the pirate settlement on #sisland_Quebradas Costillas#. I had my personal Roger hoisted so no one will give us trouble. The officers and a piece of your crew have elected to make their way through the jungle for #sCharlestown#. I guess they don't want to be hunted down by the English as traitors. Alas you don't have that option. I cannot thank you enough for what you did for my crew and me.",
Watch out for anything which starts with "#s" and ends with "#", such as "#sisland_Quebradas Costillas#" and #sCharlestown#. These are variables which will be filled in when the character speaks. Do not change it otherwise it won't work. The version of this file which you have now does not have these variables in this line, it just says "Nevis" and "Charlestown", which is wrong if you play in Early Explorers. That is why I changed them to variables. Now, if I play in Russian in "Early Explorers", this happens:
View attachment 40372
Most of the text is still English but the island and town names are filled in. They are already translated into Russian.

You can translate the rest of the line. Again, translate as much or as little as you want. Anything you don't translate will still appear in English but should not crash the game. If you need help, just ask here!

Pieter Boelen said that you can help in this matter.​

Are you continuing the existing Russian translation? I don't see any problem with dialog in Russian:
Russian_start.jpg

You choose the language from the "Options" menu, from where you go to "Interface Settings":
interface_options.jpg

The problem is probably to do with encoding. You're saving these files as UTF-8 and the game engine does not like that. Look at the files in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN", such as "Malcolm Hatcher_dialog.h" - they're in ANSI format.

The problem is probably to do with encoding. You're saving these files as UTF-8 and the game engine does not like that. Look at the files in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN", such as "Malcolm Hatcher_dialog.h" - they're in ANSI format.
Yes, it was the encoding, then I will redo everything in ANSI and replace it in the files in the link. Thank you for helping

One thing to note is that the so-called "Final" isn't final. There have been updates since January 2022. You can get the latest version including the updates from here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 21st December 2022]

And I've been doing a bit more work on the "Ardent" storyline, including some changes to dialog which aren't even in the December 2022 update. The attached file should have all the latest dialog files in English.

Attachments

• Ardent.zip
    110.2 KB · Views: 47
One thing to note is that the so-called "Final" isn't final. There have been updates since January 2022. You can get the latest version including the updates from here:

And I've been doing a bit more work on the "Ardent" storyline, including some changes to dialog which aren't even in the December 2022 update. The attached file should have all the latest dialog files in English.
Thanks, I'll see the changes

I made a translation of the new version of Ardent Корсары 2 Новые горизонты (перевод AkrimalS) . Further translations will follow this link.

Finished coding with what was translated, all at the link above. If there are any bugs, you can contact me at Discord (AkrimalS(Лёха)#2972)

Thanks!

There's a slight change to the end of "PROGRAM\Storyline\Ardent\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\villain_dialog.h" - the new version is attached here. This is because I'd written the new dialog line before I had decided exactly how to fit it into the story code. After I'd added the code, the line needed to be changed and an answer for the player to be added. The new version has been tested and works in English.

I'll not be able to play the whole story in Russian, but a recent playthrough has left me with saved games at various key places, so I can at least see if dialogs at those places look like Russian letters...

Attachments

• villain_dialog.h
    10.3 KB · Views: 55
Back