• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 1542 Cannon

Those seem to be an entirely different style of carriage. The cannon is basically an exact copy of the replica that will be placed on the galleon San Salvidor when it is completed. (I'm working from several of my own detailed images)

While waiting to download Maya I practiced modeling by making a facsimile of the rigging I plan to use for SDP/Pilgrim of Newport based on the description of an original 1980's crew member. I found the sail plan fairly unique, so I decided to post it here...
vcm_s_kf_repr_1020x510.jpg

vcm_s_kf_repr_400x363.jpg

vcm_s_kf_repr_750x693.jpg

vcm_s_kf_repr_1020x509.jpg
Do you think having a moving boom like that on the forestays'l would work without any low trickery? (I do have one idea)

looks like you have a good grasp of modeling concepts :onya it is an interesting rig, I would expect there to be a main t'gallant but apparently there wasn't one. do you have access to an actual drawn and correctly scaled sailplan that you can scan? becaue that will help a ton with rigging the Spirit when you get to the final version.

If you would like I'll upload some standard parts I use such as deadeyes, fighting tops, anchors, capstan, skylight etc (and standard cannons and wheels and the like that others have made) I'll be sure that they are textured and have them in maya format of course so they are ready to use.

There's no existing sail plan that I know of, so I'll have to draw one up based on the measurements of all the spars. For the squares'ls I'll just have to guess based on what I know of similar vessels. As the crew member I ran into said, she was "squirrely as hell" with her squares'ls. Adding another on the mainmast would just make her so much more vulnerable to broaching that it wouldn't be worth the extra knot. It would also increase the amount of top hamper, thus increasing the amount of roll and the vulnerability to capsizing.

Any help I could get with parts will be welcome, although it will be another three weeks or so before I'll have the time to start in earnest. (I have an entire sixteen hours of testing next week alone. That'll be fun.)

Edit: The OI might have the original sail plan, but it's a stretch. I would have to go to all the way to Dennis Holland to find everything I needed. (My God... I read that he only spent about $150,000 building Spirit)

That looks vaguely like one of the variations of the Hannah I found while searching for pictures for guidance.

Could it have been Sultana? From a distance the two are almost identical.
Sultana.jpg

Back