• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

17th century currency. Which to choose?

Harrow

Freelance Modder
Storm Modder
Duros vs. Dollars vs. Pesos vs. Escuditos

I just looked up a website: http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/money.html
It clearly states the names that people called money, especially the 8 reales or Spanish dollar. Also known as the pieces of eight!
So we have to choose from these names, which one we will use:
Duro
Peso
Dollar
Escudito

VOTE please!
(Sorry for original thread, you can read it if you have time to lose)

NOTE:
By the way, I already finished a Pesos mod.. but I can do it again if you guys REALLY want some other currency.
I'm also interested in what Officerpuppy will think of this, since all the credit goes to him for making the Pieces of Eight mod in the first place, and also for giving me all this inspiration.

*Added pieces of eight

Original Post:
It's up to you guys to choose..

It would be great if we could set-up some mod that could make us have multiple currencies..
Personally, I think Pounds are a little too much. I'll check some history records now.. but I think Shilling is the best way to go.. Five shillings were about a Piece of Eight.

NOTE:
If some of you tried Officerpuppy's pieces of eight mod, please tell me how you feel about it.
To Officerpuppy: I LOVE your mod, it really helped me do all this, all credit for my ideas on currency go to you.
However, I personally think that the word "pieces of eight" doesn't quite fit in the interface, it seems out of place or something.
I think a one-word currency should be employed (even if I supported the pieces of eight and thought it was a good idea) a since now I see that it just sounds like such a long currency to say and all.

ALSO, in POTC:COBP (First POTC movie), we clearly hear Jack being asked for a shilling to tie up his boat to the dock. He gives the guy three to bribe him.
In game, when you want to rent a bed, it's five "MONEY", let's say five "Shillings".. that could work, right? But five pieces of eight.. :eww
If you tought pounds.. I read somewhere that Sir Thomas Modyford was given some 1000 Pounds to start a plantation or something.
There, I got the quote from wikipedia about Modyford's story:

I got it all worked out:
Spanish currency: Pieces of Eight- worth 8 reales-worth.. ah I didn't look into that.
English currency: Pound- worth 20 Shillings - worth 12 pennies

About English currency:

Sources:
http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/6260.php
http://www.17thcenturylifeandtimes.com/coins.html

Hmm, a difficult call, but I'm going to go with the pieces of eight. Along with it sounding more Piratey there is evidence to suggest that the 'piece of eight' was accept across all colonies as well.

(http://forum.piratesahoy.net//things-coas-lacks-t15785.html/page__p__365372__hl__currency__fromsearch__1&#entry365372)

[
]
"Spanish pieces of eight minted in Mexico or Seville were the standard trade currency in the American colonies. However, every colony still used the monetary units of pounds, shillings and pence for bookkeeping while Spanish, German, French and Portuguese money were all standard mediums of exchange as British law prohibited the export of British silver coinage. Until the exchange rates were standardised in the late 1700s each colony legislated its own different exchange rates. In England, 1 piece of eight was worth 4s 3d while it was worth 8s in New York, 7s 6d in Pennsylvania and 6s 8d in Virginia. One 18th century English shilling was worth around $58 in modern currency so a piece of eight could be worth anywhere from $246 to $465. As such, the value of pirate plunder could vary considerably depending on who recorded it and where.[34][35]"
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy )

again not an easy call to make, but those are my 2...erm...pieces of eight...

(FB Edit: After reading the edited post which must have been made while i was posting this one, my vote is still behind 'pieces of eight'

Hmm, a difficult call, but I'm going to go with the pieces of eight. Along with it sounding more Piratey there is evidence to suggest that the 'piece of eight' was accept across all colonies as well.

(http://forum.piratesahoy.net//things-coas-lacks-t15785.html/page__p__365372__hl__currency__fromsearch__1&#entry365372)

[
]
"Spanish pieces of eight minted in Mexico or Seville were the standard trade currency in the American colonies. However, every colony still used the monetary units of pounds, shillings and pence for bookkeeping while Spanish, German, French and Portuguese money were all standard mediums of exchange as British law prohibited the export of British silver coinage. Until the exchange rates were standardised in the late 1700s each colony legislated its own different exchange rates. In England, 1 piece of eight was worth 4s 3d while it was worth 8s in New York, 7s 6d in Pennsylvania and 6s 8d in Virginia. One 18th century English shilling was worth around $58 in modern currency so a piece of eight could be worth anywhere from $246 to $465. As such, the value of pirate plunder could vary considerably depending on who recorded it and where.[34][35]"
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy )

again not an easy call to make, but those are my 2...erm...pieces of eight...

(FB Edit: After reading the edited post which must have been made while i was posting this one, my vote is still behind 'pieces of eight'

Firebat, please re-read the thread or go to the website in the thread.
I'm on the same track as you are.. I'm going for the Pieces of Eight.
BUT, historically and also logically, people didn't actually call their pieces of eight: "pieces of eight".
They used shorter names such as : "Pesos, Duros, Dollars"
And from what I can see on the chart in the website, they were also called: "Escuditos"

So all those choices you see in the poll, they represent Pieces of Eight.
It's just shorter, historically correct, names that the population of the caribbeans during the 17th century used to call those pieces of eight.

I'm going for the Pesos.. do you agree with me Firebat? (They DO represent the pieces of eight. A peso=a piece of eight)
I changed the item for Piasters that you see when you interact with a chest..
It now says "Pesos" but for the description it says:
Pieces of Eight: Every pirates yellow fever dream. (( Or something of that sort ))

SINCE, they are the same thing.
What do you say, Firebat?

Alrighty, Looking things up...I've decided to cast my lot in with the Duro.
As per the neato spread sheet the 8 Reale (piece of 8) was called by 3 names the Duro the Paso, and the Dollar.
Since Dollar makes me think of canada, usa, and australia (i think) and the Paso makes me think Mexico, I think the duro is the most upscure...
My next choice would be the paso...def NOT dollar

Firebat.. our case is a sad one.
While I convinced you out of Pieces of eight, YOU convinced me back into it..

Lol. I made a Pesos mod(For Vanilla,CMV2 and CMV3) and a CMv2 version for Pieces of eight.. although I am currently trying to find the dialogs file..
Since that bleedin' tavern keeper still asks for piasters!

we could also go to Dobloons (sp?) as the merchant talks about (I but loath the spanish, but thier dubloons are welcome here)

Firebat.. I just ran over at least 500~1000 dialog files..
Please.. I believe pieces of eight will suit everyone, what do you say?
And a dobloon is waaaay too much.. a tartane doesn't cost 5000 dubloons... believe me.
Look, pirates in our game usually have 150k "money".. I belive that money, as pieces of eight, can be good.

Oh for sure! It was just a wild thought with no expectations...

Pieces of eight is AWSOME!!!!!! I can wait to implement it in my own game...
Great work Matey!!

Back