• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

3D Modelling (Need a little help)

frigate1805

Powder Monkey
:ahoy Hey everybody, I'd love to contribute to this project. I think I could help a little with 3d models. I'll admit I'm kind of new to 3d modelling and I'm still confused with all the files and stuff. I think I have enough skill if I could just learn more about making 3d models of ships (which is what I'm interested in most). I know I'm probably not what you're looking for because I'm not very experienced, but I'm dedicated and I could definitely learn! Anyway, thanks for your consideration, hope I'm not wasting anyone's time.

We'd be happy to have another 3D modeller on the team! :onya
Which program are you learning to use? And what kind of ships are you most interested in making?

I'd be happy to help with modeling specifics if you have questions (my usefulness depends on what program you are using) research and plans of ships, technical details etc.

I use sketchup (I know it's not the best but it's a start) and I'm most interested in napoleonic era frigates but I could help with others as well

Alex Connor might be able to help you with sketchup. http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/wip-hms-shannon-1806-38-guns.20433/
I'm most interested in Napoleonic era frigates but I could help with others as well
Join the club!:p I love Napoleonic era frigates, and I have a huge selection of plans. unfortunately for our tastes, the first storyline will be set in the seven years war. The frigates of that era were at least the first direct ancestors of Napoleonic frigates. So something from the 1750s or 1760s would be most desirable, (and it'd probably be best to start with something smaller than a frigate) I can direct you to some suggestions/plans if you'd like, though there are others here who are more expert about the 7YW era.

Ok that would be great! I've already started on a frigate though (not for the game, just kinda for practice)

This is what I have so far. I'm just having trouble with the area under the stern (in red)

enterprise_sketchup.jpg

Attachments

• enterprise_sketchup.jpg
    enterprise_sketchup.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 184
  • enterprise_sketchup.jpg
    enterprise_sketchup.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 111
Not a bad start! :onya
That part of the stern is particularly tricky. What you ought to aim for is something like this, which is how I've done it on the Bellona model I'm working on:

Bellona_WIP9.jpg

Also, if you haven't done so already, you should definitely read through this hull modelling tutorial by one of our members: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/ship-hull-modeling-tutorial.17259/
It's written for 3ds Max, but it's still a useful reference for how to form the hull properly.

Back