• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved 48lbs Cannons?

Hotshot

Freebooter
Storm Modder
I've searched the whole forum, but somehow couldn't find anyone asking this before?

I've got me my first 1st Class ship (Silehard's^^) and upgraded - which costs a huge amount of money! - and know I "could" fit 48 pounders.
ManOWar.jpg
But, these are not sold!

Is there an experimental mod/switch somewhere where I could enable these?

Normally those large cannons are used exclusively by forts.
But indeed Vanderdecken doesn't care about that. ;)

Thanks, I found it.
But what's up with
a) the coins
- me/my crew get cursed (over time)?
- will I still get cursed if I sell them?
- what's the "downside"?
- how to lift the curse? -> I have no quest (yet?)
b) Vanderdecken
- does he always sell the same (awesome!) ships?
- as I get transformed after visiting him (even when buying nothing), this is just a "skin" and name change, right?
- so I can easily change it back...

Thanks!

Yes, you do get cursed.

There is no quest associated with it, but if you've seen the first PotC film, you know how to lift the curse.

The Curse lasts as long as there are not 882 coins in the chest that the coin came from.
Sell the coins and the curse remains as per the film.
You cannot sell the last coin though.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the curse.
You'll notice a disadvantage soon enough if you walk around at night.
And if there is a lot of curse going on, your crew Morale drops in consequence.
But you can also put cursed coins in the Weapons Locker which makes your crew extra strong at night.
Useful for sea battles and boarding.

So that curse can be a blessing as well.
If you find the chest, you can even Plunder it completely and sell all of it for a quick huge amount of gold.
So definite advantages. But also consequences. It's a trade-off, really.

Vanderdecken indeed always has the same ships available, specifically all those ships you can never ever buy or encounter anywhere during the game in any time periods (except in some quests).
He's there to give an easy way for players to get those ships they couldn't otherwise get.

He also sells stupidly big cannons as well as a rather special item that you can ask him about.

His curse is indeed as harmless as they come.
Extremely easily solved; I added that one more as a bit of fun than anything else.
When you talk to him about it, he actually tells you how to solve it (even if it may seem like he doesn't).

Thanks Pieter!
I have to admit, I only found the island because of some forum post about the "french but pirate island" :)

Could someone plz explain this to me? I mean, those specs seam rather... odd
  • Why is there a sudden drop in range from the Long-32lbs (693 yards) to the 42lbs (323)?
  • Why are there multiple 42/68 carronades (with different specs)?
  • What's up with the "x" carronade? Calibre? 3 cannons? Pretty decent range?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Carronade_42 #1.jpg
    Carronade_42 #1.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 199
  • Carronade_42 #2.jpg
    Carronade_42 #2.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Carronade_68 #1.jpg
    Carronade_68 #1.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Carronade_68 #2.jpg
    Carronade_68 #2.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Carronade_68 #3.jpg
    Carronade_68 #3.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Carronade_x.jpg
    Carronade_x.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Long_42.jpg
    Long_42.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 180
I think it is just for fun, and no one cares about realism at this place.
The x carronade = 128 lbs. :drunk

My experience with firearms says a small calib. bullet goes longer than
a big calib. one.

Last edited:
There is probably a jump between the ship canons and the fort cannons. Normally you can't get fort ones.
There are several different fort ones.

Those "x" cannons are the heaviest in the game and show as "Navarone Carronades" (after The Guns of Navarone). You can only get them from Vanderdecken.
Realism has nothing to do with that; it's purely for fun. They were originally intended for the Flying Dutchman.

You finished the main quest already then?
Until you do, you won't be able to conquer all towns.

Oh yes; I'm through :)

Although, I won't capture the British towns. Not only am I their privateer, but I also need some trading partner, right?^^
Unfortunately, it seems I cannot take over towns from Holland or Portugal, as they are friendly the Britain :-\
Can't I coerce them to declare war on those countries? :D

Oh, and while we are at it: why can't I "Land Troops" at the Nevis Pirate settlement??
I should be able to take that over... a Pirate free caribbean :)

Only way to force wars is through console.

You can tasje the Pirate Settlement if you have the "Land Troops" ability and then take care of all pirate ships around the island first.

Land Troops
I have! And I definitely saw this ability pop up once or twice, but didn't know how to trigger it... So I need to take out the pirates (I guess the ones I can "Sail To") around the island, then go to the Pirate Settlement Harbor and I should be able to "Land Troops"? Gotta try that one...

Back