• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A duel to the death on the Cliffs of Insanity

SirChristopherMings

Corrupter of Words
Storm Modder
I want to express my admiration for, and appreciation to, all of the modders of all of the builds for POTC. In spite of all the flaws that were in the game when it originally came out, I really enjoyed it, but, like many of you, I did not find that it fulfilled the expectations I had carried while I impatiently awaited the release of Sea Dogs II. Your work has made the bethesdakellisney product that I bought into the game it was meant to be.

As far as suggestions for mods go, I can only think that the concept of a formal duel got left out of the original game. From stories read, I am left with the impression that pirates on occasion used duels to settle disputes between parties, i.e. two opponents would be let off the boat and put onto a beach with a sword and a pistol with a single shot , and be left alone to work out their differences. (Kind of a pirate time out.)

It occurred to me that within the game a good deal of the work that would be required to create a "dueling" mod may already exist within the "Hard Labors of An Assassin " Quest, the quest where you complete a number of assignments and watch your reputation plummet due to the unsavory nature of the assignments.

Would it be possible (I know nothing about coding) to copy the files for this quest and then tailor the copies to create a new quest where your reputation goes up each time you honorably fight in one of a series of duels? The idea being a sort of mirror opposite of the assassin quest.

It strikes me that either the son of the Spanish Admiral, or the Knight of Chocolate Malta could be an initiating person for this quest and he asks the player to "second" him in a series of affairs d'honnuer that he has taken on. I am of the understanding that seconds could participate in the actual fighting of a duel.

The key to getting a high reputation boost would be honorable behavior during the duel itself. If the opponent is more comfortable dueling with daggers, it would be less than honorable to use your Solingen Rapier on him. A less than honorable tactic might be to have a poison blade, like Laertes in Hamlet, and an honorable swordsman would eschew such things, however, that does not mean an unscrupulous (I had to look up how to spell that word) opponent would hesitate to gain advantage by employing the underhanded attack style of an undead monkey.

Thank you again to all of the modders for all of the work that you have done to make the game so much better, when you start creating your own games let me know as I will be sure to buy one. I tried to post this in the string of posts about Mod ideas, but if I posted in the wrong place...sorry.

:cheers Chris,

Thats a damm fine idea you have there, thinking about it im surprised noone thought of it before.... :onya

Shouldnt be to hard i even might try my had at this one :cheeky Though i know bugger all about the actual `how-to`'s of modding but its an idea that really should be explored further considering half of itas already in the game

Neat idea!
Also, if a lady agrees to your proposition of marriage, you may get a nice surprise. :cheers
{And, don't think thinking up ideas is not work! That's half the battle modding. So, thank yourself along with everyone else. :onya}

:cheers SirChristopherMings, and welcome aboard! Pull up a keg, have a seat, and have a couple on us! :cheers

Love the idea! I also enjoy your humor... :yes

Welcome SirChristopherMings, as first posts goes that's one of the best I've ever read :yes:

On the old forum there was a suggestion of duels but AFAIK nothing really came from it.

Perhaps it's possible in the code to make the PC equip a certain blade just for the duels, that way you're forced to act honourably.
Possibly have the blade selection happen in dialog as well. So you could go for the dagger or a top of the range rapier like the Conquistador.

Har! fight'n honourably,'at be a good one,I'd be take'n what I can get,any way I can get it,an give'n nutt'n back :cheers :yes :cheers

Split me infinitives! your kind responses would make a landlubber blubber like a babe.

I should have known you people would think of everything; I am not far enough in my new game, with Build 11, to have attracted the interest of any daughters or nieces of governors, but I am looking forward to "measuring sword lengths" with any disappointed rivals yet to be encountered. It hearkens me back to my salad days of piracy on my old Nintendo Entertainment System when I sought to gain the affections of the governor's daughter in "Pirates!", who could always be found stroking her pussy, and was already betrothed to the most capable swordsman in the Caribbean.

The master, the swabber, the boatswain and I,
The gunner and his mate,
Lov’d Moll, Meg, and Marian and Margery,
But none of us car’d for Kate;
For she had a tongue with a tang,
Would cry to a sailor, ‘Go hang!’
She lov’d not the savour of tar nor of pitch,
Yet a tailor might scratch her `where-e`’er she did itch:
Then to sea, boys, and let her go hang.

The Tempest, Act II sc II

I agree with Skull and Vassal, in that you shouldn't be able to impose "honorable" conditions upon pirates or PCs, but the game would reward a player, who didn't take an unfair advantage of an opponent in a single combat, with a positive reputation boost. The game could give a even bigger reputation boost to a PC that is willing to fight at a disadvantage and blow some more air into "the bubble of his reputation".

I can see where this concept might not appeal to the more pragmatic nature of pirates, and like in the "Hard Labors of an Assassin" Quest, there could be an opt out clause when the goody two shoes start to pinch and hurt your corns; truly, I myself have been guilty of deliberately not paying my crew to the point that my reputation goes down from "Hero" to "Dashing" just because I prefer seeing myself being described as dashing. ("Ah, Vanity, I knew you would undo me in the end!" Cyrano de Bergerac)

The main motivation behind my posting is that in my sojourns around the archipelago I have found so many locations that seem the perfect setting for a duel to the death, the rickety bridge on Isla Muelle being foremost in my thoughts, where you can almost hear the exchange between Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black:

"You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow, I hate to die."

Keep to the code mates.

<!--`QuoteBegin-SirChristopherMings`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirChristopherMings)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Split me infinitives! your kind responses would make a landlubber blubber like a babe.[/quote]Aye, we can go on... At times ye might wonder if we're actually "really bad eggs" like the song says, LOL!

<!--`QuoteBegin-SirChristopherMings`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirChristopherMings)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I myself have been guilty of deliberately not paying my crew to the point that my reputation goes down from "Hero" to "Dashing" just because I prefer seeing myself being described as dashing.[/quote]<snicker!> I know... Dashing just seems to be more... FUN than being a Hero.

<!--`QuoteBegin-SirChristopherMings`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirChristopherMings)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have found so many locations that seem the perfect setting for a duel to the death, the rickety bridge on Isla Muelle being foremost in my thoughts,[/quote]Heh, yes. Part of the quest I'm working on now will deal with that area. I'm trying to figure out how to get a nice bunch of Spanish soldiers to run across that bridge while I am on one end, and another ally is - SURPRISE! - at the other. Hee hee...

Dunno if I can make that happen, but it would be a spectacular battle! :) :cheers

Spectacular indeed and truly a very beau geste!

Clearly we have both played Redguard for too many hours and it has started to have an apparent and debilitating affect upon us. Oh well, I haven't killed anyone...lately.
:rolleyes:

Are you incorporating this into the Fred Bob scenario that you are creating? Good luck with that project, I consider you to be a braver soul than I even to attempt it.

dumas1.jpg

LOL, I love that Redguard game...

Yes, that's part of the Fred Bob quest, actually a continuing sort of quest. You hire FB (rescue him from the FdF stockade) and he has a letter which he gives you so you can deliver it and collect the reward. Then you get in the middle of this thing going on with the IM gov's wife and her pirate lover... You agree to help her escape - and the ending, if I can get it to work right, should be Nathaniel and the lady (and FB!) running across IM through the jungles at night - to that bridge... Her lover is waiting on the other side... Heh...

It's such a wonderful place to stage a battle... ;)

Touche'

"Your style needs work!"
attributed to some nameless Imperial lackey

That has to be the first Redguard `in-joke` posted on this site, and I hope you recall it before you give the order to have me `keel-hauled`. I used to love hear some hopeless Imperial Guard say that right before I ran him through.

With luck I'll be able to follow your suggestions from the earlier posts and get a Redguard Rampage going sometime this weekend. It has been far too long.

Actually, that is not entirely true; my `In-laws` inherited our old computer, and as it is the only one that Redguard still works on, Lady Mings would use it as leverage on me to get me to go to visit them. Perhaps the balance of power will shift to my advantage. (I doubt it, I sincerely do.)

Heh, with the addition of my new graphics card and some incompatibilities I'm having trouble working through, I am beginning to wonder if I should just give in and put up a second computer just to run all these marvelous old games that WinXP and the new processors simply will NOT be nice to...

I will be moving to a different apartment soon, so with a different configuration on my desk, that may just be possible... Sick, I know, but hey... Redguard - and Corsairs - and Uncharted Waters New Horizons (and I just got all the Monkey Island ones, too) are just too great to give up.

One of my favorite characters in Redguard is that crazy old elf in the observatory. "`What-what`... `What-what`-WHAAAAT???"

Heh. Let me plug for Glidos here.
One of the best ways to spend a tenner.
On my XP box, with a GF4 ti200, (and, in conjunction with VDMSound and SAPUCDEx for CD Audio), it works like a charm.
At 1600x1200 no less!

What you need to do is:
Install VDMSound
Install Redguard for 3DFx.
Install GLIDOS.
Run the DOS (not Windows) soundset for Redguard _with_ VDMS
Make sure SAPUCDEx is set to run with VDMS
Edit GLIDOS's config to point to correct Redguard folder
Start Redguard via GLIDOS (which will automatically start VDMSound).
Click Ignore on the warning box
Play!

FYI: I've only started Redguard. Missed it when it came out, finally got it second hand and was, oh, 30min in (but, spent hours walking around and talking to misc people and fencing in the tavern). So I know I'm in for a treat. ;)

Back