• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A duel to the death on the Cliffs of Insanity

ah, Stros M'kai...

Ah, Stros M'kai, it isn't the biggest island in the world,but what there is of it is packed with adventure. I can only imagine what the game would have been like if you and the other modders on PA had been able to manipulate it's codes.

Your comment about the hearing imparied elf reminds me of the many voice characterizations within the game, both good and bad. You may recall the character in the plaza, Maria or Mariah, it escapes me which at the moment, who had the shockingly high voice that would usually go up a couple of octaves when she was within the neighborhood of the end of a thought. You may already know this, but I discovered that if you light her with a torch, she blows up, followed by Cyrus exclaiming,"Magnificent!"

I hope you weren't aware of this, and that you now are frantically scrambling to load the game to see whether or not I have made this up.
:d:

So, You've find me, but I'll never reveal the treasure!

FYI: I've only started Redguard. Missed it when it came out, finally got it second hand and was, oh, 30min in (but, spent hours walking around and talking to misc people and fencing in the tavern). So I know I'm in for a treat.

Nathan, I didn't see your post when I was responding to Catalina's last post, I am sure I don't need to tell you this, but don't blow anybody up that you haven't gotten all of the information that you can. I cannot recall whether Maria has any terribly important information to impart, but I had completed the game a long time before I tried the "Use the torch on Maria" experiment.

Redguard shares one thing with POTC, in that when you have finished the game the movie plays and the show is over, but the game is I don't remember how many years old and I still enjoy playing it. The save games I keep are about twenty minutes into the game and I spent much hours trying to get to the games end.

Thank you for putting those directions down for setting up the game, I don't know which of us is to be envied more; you, haven't yet played the game yet, or me, who hasn't been able to play it for a while. Thanks again.

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Heh. Let me plug for Glidos here.[/quote]:? I knew I forgot something!!! :d:

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->FYI: I've only started Redguard. Missed it when it came out, finally got it second hand and was, oh, 30min in (but, spent hours walking around and talking to misc people and fencing in the tavern). So I know I'm in for a treat. :cheers[/quote]It's a goodie. For its time, I thought it was pretty cool - and I STILL to this day wonder why they didn't take it any further. You can walk around EVERYWHERE - not to mention make Cyrus do things Nathaniel will never be able to do...

Yes, fun game... Thanks for the reminder about Glidos!

<!--`QuoteBegin-SirChristopherMings`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirChristopherMings)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I hope you weren't aware of this, and that you now are frantically scrambling to load the game to see whether or not I have made this up.[/quote] :d: OMG, if it ISN'T true, it SHOULD BE!!! :d:

"MAAAAAAGnificenT!" Heh yes, one of the best soundbytes in the whole game!

Heh, my pleasure. And if it means you don't have to stick your nose into Vogons (which I really shouldn't badmouth, but even checking just five threads I was already overwhelmed by the, um, sharpness--not in a good way--of people...), all the better.

"but don't blow anybody up that you haven't gotten all of the information that you can"

Words to live by, I should think! :)

{Evil moment} What about the gardner woman? Wouldn't she be the next, um, target? {/evil moment}

Actually, I have to plug retrosoftware.com here too; they had Redguard a couple months ago (which is good enough! It's what, `six-seven` years since it came out?), for IIRC 5? 10? USD. Then, it arrives complete with the manual, map, _and_ the hint book. Very nice.

Edit: Durnit, thought I posted this bit already.

I didn't have much chance, but I did take a quick peek at the, um, internals. And it ironically looked about as moddable as POTC, though SFAIK there isn't a `3d-format` converter? But UESP would be the place to check I'd think
{Nathan, get off your virtual duff and look at the folder...}
Ah.
Well, it looks like a lot of stuff is in that english.rtx file. Maybe voices? Or probably the voices are on the CD.
Someone handy with a hex editor could edit the maps, probably. And you could get info by comparing the original with the one in the save game, as the save game saves copies of the maps.

But the real ticket is all those INI files, you can totally customize the AI, the physics, items, etc.

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I didn't have much chance, but I did take a quick peek at the, um, internals. And it ironically looked about as moddable as POTC,[/quote](Catalina runs screaming from the room and fires a backwards shot at her computer monitor on the way out)
modding.gif

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->But the real ticket is all those INI files, you can totally customize the AI, the physics, items, etc.[/quote]
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif
modding.gif