• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A General History of Pirates (book)

Red Back Dude

HoO Team Member
Promotion
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Went on a jaunt down to my local public library and after seeking help on where on earth maritime history would be in the Dewy Decimal system (the answer is that it's at random through all three shelves of the entire history section they had:modding) Came across a book called "A general history of the robbers & muders of the most notorious Pirates" by a Captain Charles Johnson this turns out to be a reprint in 1998 of a book written in 1724 with a lengthy introduction by David Cordingly who credits Captain Johnson with creating the modern conception of pirates , giving a sweeping account of the golden age of piracy and an "almost mythical status to the more colorful pirates such as Blackbeard Calico Jack and the female pirates Mary Read and Anne Bonny" David also goes on in length about Johnson who apparently never existed and whose true identity has never been revealed.

Seems to be a good book so far a little hard to read at first because they preserved the original text and grammar which i am not used to that asside i am actualy just wondering if anybody else has heard of this book ? Would be cool to hear some thoughts on it.

Sure seems to be interesting apparently a lot of what is written in it was proved to be the truth later on, 1724 is when its first known of but it could have been written even earlier than that i don't know but it seems like Johnson whoever he was actually was rely did his homework

Last edited:
Loveing the book so far its epic , even details some rely rotten criminal luck including a poor matthew luke who as a Spanish coast guard captured four English vessels with no incident then afterwards was boarded by a Man o' War his luck held up they thought he was a merchant untill on inspecting the ships powder they found a cartridge made from the pages from a journal of one of the ships he had taken.. way to re use materials lol

That is excellent i will have to go through Woodes Rogers again once i have finished the book.

Edit: allso my typos are trying to kill me with embarrassment :facepalm fixed thread title.

Last edited:
Back