• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll A new Davy Jones for New Horizons

Should this go in?

• Total voters

meowsandstuff

Powder Monkey
Staff member
Storm Modder
Public Relations
We all probably have seen the New Horizons' Davy Jones model...
upload_2021-7-27_22-34-43.png

Real pretty, isn't he? Low quality, low poly...pretty green, including in areas where he shouldn't be.

Anyways, I've been hard at work restoring the unused Davy Jones model found in Pirates of the Caribbean Online, which I have recently completed:
upload_2021-7-27_22-35-44.png

This Davy is far more accurate and better modelled, while still somewhat low-quality outside of the face, so pretty much perfect for New Horizons. He's also rigged (though, no idea if the rigged armature involved has to match the POTC skeleton for it to work)

Oh yeah, and the lower parts are correct too compared to the current DJ model.
upload_2021-7-27_22-37-15.png

What do you think?

Have you tried putting this model into your installation of PoTC? If so, did it work?

Otherwise, if you upload the model and texture files somewhere where I can get at them, I'll try it myself.

Have you tried putting this model into your installation of PoTC? If so, did it work?

Otherwise, if you upload the model and texture files somewhere where I can get at them, I'll try it myself.
.blend is currently available on the PiratesAhoy discord, also DM'd it to Pieter and Adamski62.

I know nothing of .blend and do not have a Discord account. Have you tried converting the model to .gm so that it can work in PoTC?

I know nothing of .blend and do not have a Discord account. Have you tried converting the model to .gm so that it can work in PoTC?
Not yet, it does not have an armature targeted to the POTC skeleton; it is only currently targeted to POTCO. I am currently working with Adamski on this. .blend is the format for Blender files, which is primarily what I use.
The .7z contains the .blend

Attachments

• DavyJonesNew.7z
    3.4 MB · Views: 153
The main issue I can see happening is having too much detail.
Storm Engine 2.0 has a problem with too big character model files.

The open source Storm 2.9, and Maelstrom, don't have this problem though far as I know.

@Hammie and @ChezJfrey, please correct me if I got something wrong.

If we do manage to get an updated model for Ol Captain Calamari, It would go amazingly with the new Flying Dutchman model in the process

The main issue I can see happening is having too much detail.
Storm Engine 2.0 has a problem with too big character model files.

The open source Storm 2.9, and Maelstrom, don't have this problem though far as I know.

@Hammie and @ChezJfrey, please correct me if I got something wrong.
This model of Davy Jones was done at some point before 2007 as part of Pirates of the Caribbean Online. The model itself was targeted to work with lower-spec PCs of that time.
Here are Davy Jones' model stats:
upload_2021-7-28_12-0-47.png

And here is the New Horizons Davy Jones' model stats, for comparison.
upload_2021-7-28_12-1-3.png

Finally, here is a wireframe of the two models side by side (NH left, POTCO right):
upload_2021-7-28_12-1-54.png

The only problems I could see, rigging aside, is that POTCO Davy Jones has multiple materials applied to his model at once; including transparent textures for the cape and misc. details. None of these are insanely high res. All but one of his textures (incl face) are 1024x1024, with one being 512x512.
The single texture used on NH Davy is als0 1024x1024.

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-28_12-0-54.png
    upload_2021-7-28_12-0-54.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 130
That sounds reasonable. And PoTC character textures do now obey alpha channel masks thanks to @DeathDaisy's work some time ago.

The new model would certainly be an improvement if it can be made to work in PoTC. Otherwise, perhaps the existing model with a texture more like the new one would be easier? Even that would be an improvement.

That sounds reasonable. And PoTC character textures do now obey alpha channel masks thanks to @DeathDaisy's work some time ago.

The new model would certainly be an improvement if it can be made to work in PoTC. Otherwise, perhaps the existing model with a texture more like the new one would be easier? Even that would be an improvement.
Artess999 has upgraded DJ's rig to (hopefully) work in POTC, all it needs now is remade animations and to be exported to see if it works.

Indeed. It also is a symbol of lifted limitations.
With all this detail that shows very easily thanks to him being a fish-face! :woot

Afraid there's still no update here. I know Artess was able to get the model in game, but the rig wasn't completed; now I ask if someone may be able to work on his rig some more for New Horizons?

Back