• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved A Question About Navy Commissions

Mason Nelson

Landlubber
As a midshipman in the Royal Navy do you gain a new commission as you rank up or should I just go ahead and try and procure a ship of a larger class on my own? I'm trying to play a relatively realistic game and would prefer to just receive a ship of a larger class upon promotion.

EDIT: Additionally, most ships I encounter now are 17th century vessels, the Royal marines are in early 18th century dress, the French monarchy has been restored somehow, and the year I started in was 1791. I don't know what happened.

Last edited:
As a midshipman in the Royal Navy do you gain a new commission as you rank up or should I just go ahead and try and procure a ship of a larger class on my own? I'm trying to play a relatively realistic game and would prefer to just receive a ship of a larger class upon promotion.
What modpack version are you running? With the Beta 4 WIP (link in my signature), it does indeed work the way you describe.
But not in Beta 3.4 yet.

EDIT: Additionally, most ships I encounter now are 17th century vessels, the Royal marines are in early 18th century dress, the French monarchy has been restored somehow, and the year I started in was 1791. I don't know what happened.
That sounds very mysterious. The period is initialized at the start of a new game and doesn't change during the game at all. :confused:

What modpack version are you running? With the Beta 4 WIP (link in my signature), it does indeed work the way you describe.
But not in Beta 3.4 yet.

That sounds very mysterious. The period is initialized at the start of a new game and doesn't change during the game at all. :confused:
I am running Beta 4 WIP, so ... awesome!

Yeah, I don't know why the period stuff was acting so strange. I was pretty early in so I just started a new game, but now I can't reload when I die unless I reboot the game now. Ah well, all the effort is worth it in the end honestly.

I am running Beta 4 WIP, so ... awesome!
In that case, you indeed HAVE to rank up to get bigger ships because there is deliberately no other way. :cheeky

now I can't reload when I die unless I reboot the game now.
You deliberately cannot reload after dying IF you are in the process of being resurrected. That is to prevent the game from crashing, which could happen.
If you never want to have the chance of surviving, I recommend disabling the option for it in the ingame Options>Game Preferences>Survival Chance setting.
Change that to 130 and you'll always permanently die and no waiting will be enforced.

In that case, you indeed HAVE to rank up to get bigger ships because there is deliberately no other way. :cheeky

You deliberately cannot reload after dying IF you are in the process of being resurrected. That is to prevent the game from crashing, which could happen.
If you never want to have the chance of surviving, I recommend disabling the option for it in the ingame Options>Game Preferences>Survival Chance setting.
Change that to 130 and you'll always permanently die and no waiting will be enforced.
I know what you're talking about with being resurrected, but it says "unable to load" for all of my profiles except one once I load my game unless I restart the game entirely.

You could try to remove the file named "options" from your main game folder.
Also remove any save files you've got that you no longer need.
That may help a bit.

If you have two or more profiles under the same storyline, you can't load a savegame - you have to quit the game entirely, start again, then choose the profile you want. If you go into folder "SAVE\Freeplay", you'll see the save game files, all of which start with something like "-=Player=". What's between the "=" signs is the profile name. Copy the whole lot to somewhere else so you can put them back again, then delete all except those in one profile, i.e. all except those which have the same between the "=" signs. You should then only have one profile and should be able to load and save games normally. If you want to resume another profile, copy all the files from "SAVE\Freeplay" again to somewhere safe; copy all files of the other profile from where you put them earlier, back into "SAVE\Freeplay"; and then run the game again. You'll probably find that the newly copied files are out of order in the screen to load and save games but they should all be there.

If you have two or more profiles under the same storyline, you can't load a savegame - you have to quit the game entirely, start again, then choose the profile you want. If you go into folder "SAVE\Freeplay", you'll see the save game files, all of which start with something like "-=Player=". What's between the "=" signs is the profile name. Copy the whole lot to somewhere else so you can put them back again, then delete all except those in one profile, i.e. all except those which have the same between the "=" signs. You should then only have one profile and should be able to load and save games normally. If you want to resume another profile, copy all the files from "SAVE\Freeplay" again to somewhere safe; copy all files of the other profile from where you put them earlier, back into "SAVE\Freeplay"; and then run the game again. You'll probably find that the newly copied files are out of order in the screen to load and save games but they should all be there.
It worked! Thank you very much, sorry that I derailed the subject of this thread.

So, back to the thread. :D

What is the year in the game? 17th century and early 18th century are both compatible with "Golden Age of Piracy", which is 1680 - 1739, and the default start date for Freeplay is 1682. So it may be that the date somehow reset to default during the setup process.

Did you change the date and then pick your ship and character, or did you change the date last?

This is what he said in the opening post:

Would indeed be good to have confirmation on the actual date shown within the game itself. :yes
I've deleted my old save, but before I did I too was concerned that somehow the date had shifted on me, so I checked the file itself and the top of the screen in-game and it was indeed 1791.

Grey Roger, I picked the date first then my character.

Back