• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A suggestion for the dialogue with companion crewmembers about weapons

Fluen

Freebooter
When you originally made the feature enabling the player to bring crewmembers on land, the dialogue line "I have weapons for you" opened an exchange menu, so the player could equip their crewmembers, as they saw fit and were able to. This of course limited the equipment to whatever the player had at that time. I suppose, that is why you made a fix of it, where the crewmembers tell the player, that they use the same weapons as the player themselves, and the players character stammers confusedly. This frees the player from spending money and time on equipping the crew.

But it appears that this fix only works for weapons and not armour and medical gear. No wonder my crewmembers don't last very long anymore. May I suggest, that you add a second line, so that a player with a desire to keep their crewmembers in excellent shape, can choose another answer along the line "But I have extra gear for you", so that this line can open the exchange menu between player and crewmember.

Right now I have a (not very good) workaround, where I beat my crewmembers silly and ask for their sword and then refill their medical supplies, of which one most likely is spent to counter the beating, I just gave them.

Have you put any armour or medical supplies into the weapons locker in your cabin? That's where your boarding crew get their equipment and is supposed to be where your shore crew get equipment as well.

Yes, I did that. And I believe it works for my boarding crew. But lately, they don't seem to be using the medical supplies. The number of the different kinds of medical supplies don't change anymore.

So, what you say is, that normally my land-based crew would also get their supplies from the weapons locker? If mine has failed to work, it's probably caused by all my re-initializations. I'll try with a fresh game and a new adventure.

You are free to move this thread to the troubleshooting forum.

I'm not sure whether the land crew do take their equipment from the weapons locker; or, if they do, whether they take armour. Boarding crews certainly take armour, which is why it's a good idea to loot their bodies if they get killed in action - surviving crew automatically put their equipment back in the locker, dead crew can't, so you have to take it from their bodies and put it back yourself.

If land crew are taking weapons from the locker but not taking armour, I'll need to dig around to find out why. This may take a while!

It's possible, that I have caused that problem myself with my many downloads and re-initializations. If you wait (you clearly have plenty of other projects to work on and possibly want to play a bit for yourself), I'll let you know, if the problem appears in a new game as well.

If land crew are taking weapons from the locker but not taking armour, I'll need to dig around to find out why.
Digging done. :treasure: It turns out that land crew do not take weapons from the locker. They're assigned swords and guns based on what you're carrying - they automatically get weapons a couple of notches inferior to your own. I've copied and modified the code for swords to do something similar for armour.

Put this into "PROGRAM\Loc_ai". As usual, copy the existing "LAi_init.c" somewhere safe first in case this messes things up - I've only done a quick check so far by taking three extra crew and seeing what they're carrying.

Attachments

• LAi_init.c
    17.2 KB · Views: 64
Thank you. Considering all the new games, I want to start, I should have a good chance to try this out.

Edit: it works. Some of my crewmembers have the armour as part of their outfit, and it immediately changed from the gold armor, I've given them, to what appears to be an iron armour. The Danielle outfit is particularly impressive. My compliments to the modder, who made that. :onya

Last edited:
Back