• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

About Maelstrom engine

arjunaone

Landlubber
The activation email from bucaneers reef forum doesn't work.
So i'm asking here.
Are maelstrom engine games (like eras 2) modable or not? I am planning on buying it if it is modable (like the plain coas).

did you buy it?
is it working?

maybe i will buy maelstrom, if an old pirate is saying it s worth the try

anyone?
(thanks in advance)

I was wondering if this is the case and if its does do as it says and bring much more stability to the game. If anyone has it and can safely say it does indeed improve stability then I will buy it but would rather ask here.

Well I didn't look too much into ERAS II code, basically only to copy features into the Maelstrom New Horizons. ERAS II and GOF don't offer too much customization within internalsettings.h or something like that.

New Horizons offers pretty much the same customization like the original Storm 2.0 New Horizons.

As for the modable question: Yes. I can only refer to the New Horizon code here, but that said, the scripting in Maelstrom doesn't differ much from the original coding. There are mostly only minor changes here and there for a few adaption to the new engine.
For example, I could without that much effort succesfully mod working ship lanterns into the Maelstrom New Horizons.

Probably my documentation for my merging / updating of the Maelstrom New Horizons to the same version as Storm 2.0 New Horizons may help you here, so I just attached it here.

It would be really cool if you could even help me to merge the code and fix some of the bugs that unfortunaly still appear in Maelstrom NH, if you decide to go for the Maelstrom engine

EDIT: oh, didn't read the following questions. Sorry for that. Well so far the Maelstrom engine is very very stable, and the only crashes I am experiencing are because of bugs within the porting from New Horizon, I am 100% sure there. GOF and ERAS shouldn't be affected by that. And it cleary improves performance A LOT. Which probably goes hand in hand.

Quick example for that: My Rig is High-End with an i7-9700k, a RTX2080 SUPER and 16 GB DDR4 - still, big battles in the old engines (doesn't matter if 2.0 or 2.8) won't go over ~50 FPS.
With Maelstrom, I never experienced less than 200 FPS, of course with full graphic settings. I subjectively also see an improvement in some scripts in New Horizons which resulted in some microfreezes in the original engine (e.g. hiring a captured captain, there was always a small chance that the engine crashes) - those microfreezes are simply not there anymore with the Maelstrom

Hope that helped, if you got any more questions, feel free to ask ;)

Attachments

• NH merging.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Well I didn't look too much into ERAS II code, basically only to copy features into the Maelstrom New Horizons. ERAS II and GOF don't offer too much customization within internalsettings.h or something like that.

New Horizons offers pretty much the same customization like the original Storm 2.0 New Horizons.

As for the modable question: Yes. I can only refer to the New Horizon code here, but that said, the scripting in Maelstrom doesn't differ much from the original coding. There are mostly only minor changes here and there for a few adaption to the new engine.
For example, I could without that much effort succesfully mod working ship lanterns into the Maelstrom New Horizons.

Probably my documentation for my merging / updating of the Maelstrom New Horizons to the same version as Storm 2.0 New Horizons may help you here, so I just attached it here.

It would be really cool if you could even help me to merge the code and fix some of the bugs that unfortunaly still appear in Maelstrom NH, if you decide to go for the Maelstrom engine

EDIT: oh, didn't read the following questions. Sorry for that. Well so far the Maelstrom engine is very very stable, and the only crashes I am experiencing are because of bugs within the porting from New Horizon, I am 100% sure there. GOF and ERAS shouldn't be affected by that. And it cleary improves performance A LOT. Which probably goes hand in hand.

Quick example for that: My Rig is High-End with an i7-9700k, a RTX2080 SUPER and 16 GB DDR4 - still, big battles in the old engines (doesn't matter if 2.0 or 2.8) won't go over ~50 FPS.
With Maelstrom, I never experienced less than 200 FPS, of course with full graphic settings. I subjectively also see an improvement in some scripts in New Horizons which resulted in some microfreezes in the original engine (e.g. hiring a captured captain, there was always a small chance that the engine crashes) - those microfreezes are simply not there anymore with the Maelstrom

Hope that helped, if you got any more questions, feel free to ask ;)

Did you manage to play New Horizons with Maelstrom engine without bugs? It would be so cool to switch New Horizons to Maelstrom, because it's an awesome engine. I Play GoF 1.2 with Maelstrom, it's a brand new game. Never had any crash to desktop.

No, not without bugs. That is for one, that the current New Horizons Version for Maelstrom is from 2016. And for the other, because Chez just ported it, but didn't really test it. So there are a few things missing or not working.

Currently I am trying to bring the Maelstrom New Horizons up to date to the latest version. After that, I will search for bugs and try to eliminate them.

So far, the 3 rather big bugs I encountered are:

1. no nation recognition for sea messages and sail emblems

2. the transfer goods interface doesn't work at all - though Chez updated the engine, which should eliminate that bug, but for some reason, it still occurs for me

3. spyglass isn't working at all - I don't exactly know yet, why that is

there are some minor bugs too, most of them not really affecting gameplay and usually just interface-like bugs (since Chez ported over the new 2.8 interface)

Unfortunally, Maelstrom New Horizons tends to crash then and when, when you change locations (too fast) - I think, that has something to do with sound schemes, because everytime it does that, it resets the music to the open world map music.

If you manage to clear the bugs, can you share it with us? I would love to play New Horizons, but I just can't stand the old engine.

I am not really a coder either. Most of the time its just trial and error for me and asking others what the error.logs mean.

For playing currently the itch.io version, tho I edited and changed a few things to add new features like lanterns and the fighting system.

I am not really a coder either. Most of the time its just trial and error for me and asking others what the error.logs mean.

For playing currently the itch.io version, tho I edited and changed a few things to add new features like lanterns and the fighting system.

I'm currently rebuilding the GoF 1.2 version for Maelstrom engine, and I must say that I made a lot of aesthetic changes. I also implemented some changes by Jan Marten. It's already working great. But I would gladly help with New Horizons as well.

PM me if you have New Horizons installed for Maelstrom, then I can send you the updated files

@Pillat

Do you have this glitch here?

BS117eu.png

Yeah thats normal. Thats the only visual bug I encountered so far, so I didn't bother much with it

I never worked on POTC, I began on COAS after finding that game and Pieter said we should form a team and begin working together as there was a few of us independently doing our own things at the time. That was when the team who worked on the CMV 3.2 and later renamed GOF mod was formed.

Hope that helped, if you got any more questions, feel free to ask

Perfect thanks, I will buy it and try GOF 1.2 seeing as i released GOF 2.0 as a fix due to the crashing, at the time i was putting it down to bad ports of ships and some coding that may have not been fully implemented but got lost after the team was done with GOF 1.2 and when I came back to work on GOF 2.0 the team had gone in separate ways as modding for COAS had stopped sadly. I had hoped that our work on the game would breath life into the modding community for that game or even that mod.

@Pillat

Do you have this glitch here?

Someone else pointed out this "glitch" but since I've never actually seen the original game, I have no idea what's wrong, so I asked...never got a reply. I'm going to assume it's the black boxes, which are the shadow offsets and from what I can see in the interface .ini files, they are deliberate for all I know. The defaultnode.ini is a direct copy of what I downloaded, so the TEXTBUTTON configs are exactly the same. Since POTC does not have this large offset, I decided to compare the INTERFACE\shadow.tga.tx file that is specified and the one from NH is vastly different, and huge, compared to the one from POTC. So I renamed the one in NH (to keep it for backup, if desired) and copied over the POTC file. The menu now has very subtle, small shadow offsets, which maybe is what the "glitch" was? Anyway, I'll throw it in the next NH update and people can take a look. But honestly, these are the types of things I'm really not usually interested in tracking down...if something is clearly broken, and someone gives me the info, I'll see if there's a way to tweak things in order to remain somewhat compatible with older features, if it's feasible. But something like this is easily remedied by people more familiar with the original NH, which I don't have because I also don't have the POTC engine either; I only have original 2.8 COAS on cd.

Back