• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Achtung storyline writers!

carmenara

Pandora's Kitten
Storm Modder
Okay, here's the deal.

We've remarkably little to talk about in Build's continued development so to prevent people from saying "this is just POTC and a little extras" and walk off, I propose we start marketing the storylines exclusively. That alone sustains interest because few games can support the development of one complete storyline much less 4 or 5 at once like we're doing.

Proposal:

I need a constant stream of updates from those in charge of their respective storylines. I don't care if it's a script of "making someone sit, not stand on a chair", because that is progress and ANY progress can be converted into "revenue" i.e. extra visitors by way of postings on moddb and twitter (which is completely barren).

Implementation:

I need gossip and input from storyline creators and I'll make sure your good work gets the attention it deserves. Simple as that.

I can't prowl the forums all day and pick up everyone's bits and pieces of progress, so talk to me; even ideas, like "I propose we create a new MnC storyline" go a long way to creating the basis of an MnC article unique to Build and the world (and capture new fans from a larger audience that doesn't even play POTC).

You can of course wait for me to stumble on the new chair-sitting scripts, but all you'll get that way is a boring sentence out of it, so help me there.

Timeline:

As lawyers tend to say, any idea without a timeline stagnates into oblivion. I'll let this float around for a week for us to decide if we want a proper targeted marketing campaign to boost the rep for our very good writers and programmers. I'm not asking for attention, I'm asking for a flow of information from various people (which means your updates just have to be once weekly, or even fortnightly and there should be storyline related articles every few days).

And in return I believe you get far more returns than your meagre investments.

This idea does not restrict itself to storylines; there are other WIP features that can benefit from on-air exposure as well.

Which means your updates just have to be once weekly, or even fortnightly and there should be storyline related articles every few days
Storyline work takes time to write the code and plus both Thomas and I are at university so that means we wont be able to do constant work on our storylines, what I would suggest is an update with every patch a week or so before the patch is released to get them keen for it and then when we release the patch they will eagerly get it :yes

I talk to Pieter and Thomas about storyline ideas Im thinking about implementing but not all my ideas I carry through on (either the code is to tricky or I just cant get it to work like I want to)

If you do release a storyline article every couple of days you will be repeating yourself a lot, or putting in information that might not come about (leading to disappointed gamers)

I agree we can do storyline things to get the players more keen, I will try and post in my thread on the "modding" section about plans Im discussing with Pieter and/or Thomas (or come up with by myself) and then with my filea release a txt file of what I have added/changed

This of course is just my opinion :yes

I do very much agree that we need more to publicly post about.
Actually, that's not quite right. We DO have the things to post about.
All we need is the actual posts. I think you're making a very valuable offer here:
storyline writers just give you a quick overview of what they're working on and what they're trying
and you can make it into a proper article that'll draw attention.

In fact, this is close to what I once tried doing with the storyline-articles we currently have on the ModDB.
I would very much like follow-up articles being posted, either as V2 or replacement/addition to the originals.
The storylines are indeed a potentially very visible and interesting thing to generate publicity with.
And I reckon that the stories deserve to get attention and people should be able to read about why each story is cool.
So that when they do download the Build mod, they'll actually be looking forward to playing this or that story.

I do agree that we shouldn't become repetitive.
If we've got nothing to say, we don't need to try to generate publicity based on nothing.
However, usually we DO have something to say. It's just not being said in a very visible way.

So thanks a lot, Snow White Sorrow! If SJG and Bartolomeu don't post in here within a couple of days,
I'll attend them to this through PM. This is definitly worthwhile and I think we should follow through with it. :yes

I am working on a considerable extension to the Hornblower storyline (again with the 95th rifles).

I have also revamped a LOT of the characters.

My issue is similar to Captain Maggee - I know what I want to do - but it doesn't always work out.
For instance right now I need a French or Spanish island that doesn't look like the ones I've already used. (or looks like the English towns).

And I think from the player's point of view - to hear something is coming - and then doesn't come fairly quickly after the announcement - produces a lot of frustration and eventually despondency and then disinterest.

I could shortly upload the re-textured characters - That would also require the quest reaction for uniform changes - but even there I have an issue! One characters head icon wont change as it should.
(This is probably a typo - but I am not sure at this point in time) so even there I cannot be specific as to time.

Also we obviously try to test out the storylines for flaws that could occur because the player follows a different path to that intended. And that takes time.

As I re-read this - it is quite depressing.
And as I agree that publicity is a very good thing. It would be a shame to spoil the groups efforts as a whole, by preempting the release of "new stuff" that isn't produced "on time".
So I too would prefer that nothing is said until a week or so before the "goods" are ready.

Well, we can still occasionally post something of what we're working on.
A bit like those "Need a Laugh" articles I posted.
But indeed whetting the interested people's appetite with ideas we have
that we then don't (manage) to put into reality does defeat the purpose. :facepalm

So a long story put short, we don't want complete silence towards the public,
but we also don't want to say something unless we actually have something to say.

Oh... we never publicly mentioned that we have that DMC church location already in the game
for the same reasons: we're not going to be finishing the DMC story any time soon.
However, if Captain Maggee writes up some of his intentions for that,
it could be joined with the DMC church location, Kraken attack and "God Jack" character model
to show that we are doing some serious preparation work on it.
However, with the disclaimer that we ARE still in the preparation phase
and that it won't be released in the next months or so.

For instance right now I need a French or Spanish island that doesn't look like the ones I've

already used. (or looks like the English towns).
You mean you need actual new models? Can you be more specific?
I'll try to figure out something you can try. :yes

SWS, please have a look at the file attached to this new thread of mine:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//features-of-the-build-mod-t15438.html
It contains something resembling storyline write-ups which maybe you can find a use for. :cheeky

For instance right now I need a French or Spanish island that doesn't look like the ones I've

already used. (or looks like the English towns).
You mean you need actual new models? Can you be more specific?
I'll try to figure out something you can try. :yes
I've settled on a location in Cuba for now that seems to fit the story quite well with a meeting with the Spanish and French, (considering all these adventure were supposed to be in Europe in the first place. :rofl )

Re "teaser" announcements - no problem with that either, perhaps under the heading "currently being worked on" or words to that effect.

if you check for instance , the ambitious project topic, you'll find a lot of information about the Bartolomeu Main Quest (scenarios, screenshots, videos...):shrug

Lead time for production needed as I've just setup my new place and still waging domestic and religious warfare.

Never knew I could be an inquisitor :p

Just had a look at the games page on Wikipedia. There is 2 lines about the build mod but the Moddb links to the old build 13 one. Is it worth creating a new page on wikipedia for POTC Build 14 new horizons?

I'd say... why not! Having an updated wiki page is a GREAT idea. Both for marketing and your/our pride as a community.

I agree. I indeed noticed that Wikipedia two-line blurb about our work as well and that indeed will not do.
A new Wikipedia page on "Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons" would definitly make sense to me.
In fact, I was thinking that the "Features of the Build Mod" project might also make for a solid base for a proper Wikipedia article.
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//features-of-the-build-mod-t15438.html/

And I know for a fact that if it goes under Pirates of the Caribbean and then in the video games section a lot of people will find it :cheeky

Back