• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot Confirm "Advanced Warship" Interface Screenshot too Dark

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
I don't know why, but this looks weird:

upload_2016-4-10_22-38-27.png

See that picture on the left.

Do other people also notice that in their game?
I wonder if @Grey Roger may be able to have a quick look at this one.

Last edited:
A quick look shows nothing wrong. Here's what those three ships look like in "shipsBR.tga.tx", which is the source for their interface pictures:
interfaces.jpg

(Photoshop used to cut and paste the three ships into a 768 x 256 sample, also to check that there's nothing odd with their alpha channel.)

The Advanced Warship, a.k.a. HMS_Mordaunt, exists only in period 2, i.e. "Golden Age of Piracy", so if I encounter one while testing "Ardent" I'll try to pirate it and check its interface picture. The Light Pinnace, specifially the Portuguese one, also looks strangely dark in your screenshot and pirating one of those will probably be easier. :rpirate

There *may* have been some Shipyard Interface code that made that ship appear darker for some reason.
But I don't know how or why. I know there is the "greying out" effect for ships you cannot buy, but have never seen a "blacking out" effect like that.

I suppose the Select Storyline interface could be quickly used to confirm/deny if this is indeed a consistent problem.

The Light Pinnace, specifially the Portuguese one, also looks strangely dark in your screenshot
That one is "selected" and is therefore flashing between "light" and "dark". It was OK when I saw it in the game yesterday.

I used cheat mode plus Free-Play to give myself an Advanced Warship, told Malcolm Hatcher to get lost, then went to Speightstown shipyard, where it just so happened that another Advanced Warship was up for sale, though it was faded out because it's a naval ship and too advanced a tier. Several free promotions and level-ups later, it wasn't faded out any more. :wp

mordaunt_screenshot.jpg

The interface picture of the ship for sale is slightly darker than the one for my own ship, though not as dark as yours. The selected ship in the ships for sale does indeed flash between light and dark, and I reckon that at its lightest it's a match for the picture of my own ship. So I'm guessing that it doesn't flash between light and dark, it starts with the basic interface picture and cycles through various levels of darkness, with a default display a little way down the darkness scale so that it can appear to turn brighter. Other ships for sale did the same thing. as did the light pinnace in your example, or the Bermuda sloop in mine.

So the darkening for ships on sale is routine. The question then becomes, why did this particular one turn so dark for you? Are you using ENB?

The question then becomes, why did this particular one turn so dark for you?
My suspicion is something to do specifically with the Shipyard Interface code.
Some sort of "cannot buy therefore make dark" functionality.
But I don't know that for sure as normally that looks differently.

Anyway, for now I think this can be marked as "Cannot Confirm".

Are you using ENB?
I am.

If you can't buy a ship then it's not dark, it's light and faint. It also says you can't buy the ship, and why. The one in Speightstown shipyard did, at first.

The finger of suspicion now points at ENB because I'm not using that.

If you can't buy a ship then it's not dark, it's light and faint. It also says you can't buy the ship, and why.
That's what I thought as well.

The finger of suspicion now points at ENB because I'm not using that.
ENB should affect each image the same.
I think the long and short of it is: We don't know. But you tested and couldn't confirm.
So that's the end of it for now as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for double-checking my observation! :cheers

Back