• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Advisory to stay clear of Naval Action.

I was working as an alpha tester I attempted to do the alpha testing providing of feedback. However the developers appeared to be rather ungrateful often giving me rather lame excuses as to why they won't even concider my suggestions (eg "potential" exploitation of alt PvE characters). And that's whenever they didn't straight-up IGNORE my feedback and game suggestions. And then of course then came the suggestion hijacking players who came and made trouble on my threads namely this Acid_Penguin guy. And after few nasty word wars I had with this particular clown (perhaps I ended up laying it on a little thick at times in my frustration with both him and with the developers) Acid_Penguin went crying to the developers and got me banned.

Anyhow Naval Action now bears the distinction of being the ONLY steam game I have ever had requested to steam to have FULLY removed from my account.

For me PotBS is now just a casual NPC hunt now just having some fun with some bought 1st rates.:)

Portalus itself are still numb-skulls that you should avoid direct interaction with if you can.
PvP can also be dangerous with bans if any of the players get the devs involved.

But if you're just in for sailing your ship and shooting NPCs for some casual yucks you should be ok on PotBS.

Last edited:
Hehehe I would say no

The thrills of PVP and the possibility of PvE both in the same world was one of the things that used to be fun in PotBS.

Then they started dumbing it down, until there was no challenge anymore at all, and they ruined the echonomy aspect of the game which was fun for the merchant playing masses. I loved to do all of those, which kept the game interesting on several lvls. Pluss it looked great for its time.

The stories was quite fun as well - all though the locations where quite repetitive in looks. All the major cities were very nicely made though. Had a good mix of historical and fantasy.

The thrills of PVP and the possibility of PvE both in the same world was one of the things that used to be fun in PotBS.
[...]
The stories was quite fun as well - all though the locations where quite repetitive in looks. All the major cities were very nicely made though. Had a good mix of historical and fantasy.
Cool! :woot

There will be some kind of character creator indeed.
Just how costumizable is yet not known, as we are testing different systems. The current system allows for good and very varied customization, but before we are further out in the development, I cannot say if that is going to stay like it is.

There will be some ship customization as well - but definitely not in the same extent as in PotBS. At least I highly doubt it. The ships in HoO are by FAR much more detailed than in PotBS.

Sounds Great!

With PotBS most likely not having long for this world and Naval Action proving even MORE frustrating and caustic, Hearts of Oak sadly will most likely be my final personal delve into the world of age of sail gaming before hanging up the captain's hat and cutlass for good.

I've tried all sorts of pirate games from Age of Sail II, to Uncharted Waters Online to the Port Royale series and many other small indie games most were either too hard or too easy or just looked awful.

I did however enjoy the PotC build mod however I think I need to find a proper copy of PotC/Sea Dogs 2 instead of this junk torrent version I hasteily downloaded for playing older versions that doesn't want to properly install now in order to try out your latest version of it.

With some good fortune maybe Hearts of Oak could be the age of sail game I may finally be able to settle down with and enjoy.

If you are looking for a sandbox single player that resembles something of a mix of the world in PotBS and all the greatness from PotC - Hearts of Oak will definitely be something for you to follow and try

If you are after more of the PVP aspects you should check our "Tides of War" (Still named Letters of Marque on the forums - which is a old name) that me and 2 others from the Pirates Ahoy community are making under our own game dev banner.

And there are several other games being worked on by this great community. If you look at the forum here and check the "other games" section you can get a good grasp on what is going on "behind the scenes"
Other Pirate Games | PiratesAhoy!

The PotC Build mod is awsome considering the age of the base game.

Just wish I had a proper copy of PotC instead of a torrent.

I was working as an alpha tester I attempted to do the alpha testing providing of feedback. However the developers appeared to be rather ungrateful often giving me rather lame excuses as to why they won't even concider my suggestions (eg "potential" exploitation of alt PvE characters). And that's whenever they didn't straight-up IGNORE my feedback and game suggestions. And then of course then came the suggestion hijacking players who came and made trouble on my threads namely this Acid_Penguin guy. And after few nasty word wars I had with this particular clown (perhaps I ended up laying it on a little thick at times in my frustration with both him and with the developers) Acid_Penguin went crying to the developers and got me banned.

Anyhow Naval Action now bears the distinction of being the ONLY steam game I have ever had requested to steam to have FULLY removed from my account.
Oh, tell me about it! Getting ignored/badmouthed/banned is a common thing for decent guys in this forum. You should ask @Captain Murphy about his interesting experience. I also had a similar one, but more calm, and luckily didn't get banned, lol.

As far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong, there have been changes to the development team for the worst and that is killing the potential this game used to have.

Personally, I thinks it blows PotBS out of the water, damage is realistic, you can control each individual masts, AI doesn't seem to react as you say, targeting system is a+++. I dont have any clue what to say.

Probably there are positives and negatives to both. Isn't that always the story?
The potential is obviously very much there. :yes

Oh don't get me wrong. It's definitely better than BotBS when it comes to graphics and ship combat + a few mechanics. But that's it for now.

BotBS still bears it in charm and gameplay by a mile in my honest opinion. Even now after Portalus Games completely ruined it...

On the other hand though it has a rotten community core that really are immature bullies and really obnoxious. Seriously some of the worst core community members I hahe seen, and they are really poisoning the whole experience for those who care about a game. And sadly the Devs have shown themselves more and more from the side of giving a donkeys behind about their other community than those few core rotten ones - and keep catering to them.

And I am definitely not the type of person that normally would offer any minute of my time to talk a game down like this. But this really is the worst I've seen in many, many, many years...

And I seem to not be alone in thinking this. The popularity of NA has depleted exceptionally fast and plummeted.

Oh don't get me wrong. It's definitely better than BotBS when it comes to graphics and ship combat + a few mechanics. But that's it for now.

BotBS still bears it in charm and gameplay by a mile in my honest opinion. Even now after Portalus Games completely ruined it...

On the other hand though it has a rotten community core that really are immature bullies and really obnoxious. Seriously some of the worst core community members I hahe seen, and they are really poisoning the whole experience for those who care about a game. And sadly the Devs have shown themselves more and more from the side of giving a donkeys behind about their other community than those few core rotten ones - and keep catering to them.

And I am definitely not the type of person that normally would offer any minute of my time to talk a game down like this. But this really is the worst I've seen in many, many, many years...

And I seem to not be alone in thinking this. The popularity of NA has depleted exceptionally fast and plummeted.

For the toxicity, personally it has never really been an issue with me. Worst case scenario I will just write down the name and punish the guy later on when the opportunity arise.

As for the popularity, a great amount of people stopped playing since the last patch due to the alliances, all the popular nations gang'd up against the lower pop nation and crush their entire economy.
I believe the devs are probably alreayd making adjustments to prevent that from happening again in the next patch, also, the UI will soon be implemented which might bring a lots of people back just out of curiosity.

Back