• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help After final: how do I get rid of my title and my lands?

Yes, that sounds about right. Deliberately attacking ships belonging to a nation whom you're supposed to be serving by having a LoM is outright treachery and automatically strips your title and land. Attacking an ally turns the nation wary, which removes your LoM, but only strips land and title if you have a bad reputation. That way you don't get the full penalty if your crime is failing to pay attention to tavern news, specifically random relation changes during FreePlay.
I'm more concerned about the fact, that sinking English ships after I had sunk the Portuguese ship had no effect. Only the first sunk ship seems to cause the post in the ship's log and affect my ownership of lands and title. After that it's purely the relationship points, which are changed.

But I don't know, what's possible and what's not, when it comes to plural nations in a sea battle.

At present, yes, the first friendly or allied ship is the one which will have an effect. When you sink it, the game checks various other nations' reactions - in your case, you sink a Portuguese ship, which causes Britain to become wary. Then you sink a British ship and because Britain is wary, it doesn't count as treachery the same way as sinking a British ship first while they're friendly. It doesn't matter whether the Portuguese and British ships are both present in one battle, or whether you fight one battle against Portuguese and then a separate battle against British. The first ship you sink causes reactions by its nation and its nation's allies. The next ship you sink causes reactions based on your new status after sinking the first.

Try the version of "nations.c" in the previous post. That should trigger the bad stuff if you attack any of Britains allies, not just Britain itself.

Will the modified version of "nations.c" only work that way for Britain? And is it a modification you've only made for my sake?

It should work for any nation. If you're on the other side and have a French LoM, for example, and you attack a Spanish ship while France is allied to Spain, you should lose your French LoM plus any title and land you got from France.

At present it's for you, mainly so you can try it out. If you find that it works and does not cause any unwanted side effects, it can go into an update.

First attempt (still only a neutral relationship with England): I attacked a Dutch fleet. When my ships sunk the first Dutch ship, my relationship with England changed to wary (-46), when we sunk the next Dutch ship, my relationship with England changed to hostile (have forgotten the value).
Because I still haven't got a letter of marque, I kept my title and my lands.

I will let you know the outcome, when I have acquired a letter of marque from England and have repeated the experiment with ships from nations allied with England.

That is probably to be expected. If you're neutral to Britain then they're not as offended as if you were supposed to be friendly to them (and their allies). They're taken notice because you're attacking an ally but aren't regarding you as an outright traitor. Repeated attacks on allied ships turn Britain hostile. This should already have been happening and should not change.

I'd be more interested to see if there are any unwanted side effects in other storylines with more complex international relations, or in FreePlay where relations can change randomly.

Back