• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed After Town Capture: Frequent CTDs upon plundering store

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Fyi,

I got 4 CTDs in a row in when trying to loot the merchant after taking Bridgetown. (Playing BFF) Earlier, after taking Spreghtstown I successfully looted the merchant their.

Also when I left Bridgetown after sacking it and accepting the ransom, the fort fired on me. (I fired back and took the town a second time and got almost twice the ransom.)

If you attack a town, whether by defeating its fort or by using the "Landing party" perk against a town without a fort, you can demand a ransom from the governor, then help yourself to any cargo you can load onto your ship(s) from the store at zero cost.

Except that when I tell the store owner that I want to trade and then pick a ship, the game crashes. Not always, but often. So I save game while standing in front of the store, go in, try to trade, the game crashes, I reload, go in, try to trade, the game crashes, I reload, repeat until the game doesn't crash and I can stuff the ship's hold with free gold.

Attached is a savegame outside the store in Nevis Pirate Settlement, with my Endymion and a couple of captured Spiegelretourschips for you to experiment with. This is under Beta 3.4, though it's not a new problem as I've had it in earlier versions - certainly Beta 3.1, probably Beta 3.0 as well which was the first version of Build 14 I ever used.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Nevis.zip
    942.6 KB · Views: 90
Are there any error logs to go with those crashes?

I was not aware that any "free cargo purchase" feature even existed. :shock

Also thread title adapted for clarity.

Last edited:
I don't have an error log to hand because after spending all that time crashing and reloading, when I eventually did get to plunder the place I was rather eager to get on with the game - several people in San Juan were waiting for me to return. :D But that savegame should allow anyone to crash the game to their heart's content and see what log files turn up as a result - or, for that matter, Windows' own error logs.

Playing the march 6 version CTD when trying to loot the merchant in Cayman after sacking the town.

Playing the march 6 version CTD when trying to loot the merchant in Cayman after sacking the town.
I didn't even begin to look at that problem yet, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'm near my game again so can once more start doing things.

Is that when you talk to the merchant, select the option to "trade", then choose a ship and the game then crashes? If so, this is nothing new - I'm in the habit of saving game just before I enter the store, then I try to loot the merchant, the game crashes, restart, reload, try to loot the merchant, the game crashes, restart, reload, repeat until the game doesn't crash. This has been the case since Beta 3.0, and probably earlier but that's the first version of Build 14 I installed so it's the first one about which I can report personal experience.

CTD when trying to loot merchant after sacking town.
I do believe we still have an open Bug Tracker issue for that one.
Nobody got round to looking into that one yet.
It sounds especially nasty because I recall it being reported as a problem that only sometimes occurs.
Inconsistent problems are the worst.

Please check if the issue is only in specific towns.
Are there any logs or something like that?

I haven't had a chance to loot any towns recently. (Still waiting to get a few gunnery and defence perks so the less powerful ships available in "Early Explorers" have a chance against a fort...) But during earlier games, my experience was that the crashes were not limited to specific towns. The savegame in post 2 above is from Beta 3.4 so won't work with current versions of the game, but if you have a Beta 3.4 installation then you can try it and see what logs you get.

Since I have 3.4 up and running I loaded up @Grey Roger 's saved game. Here are the resultant logs from the first crash on trying to trade. No error log resulted.

EDIT second attempt the same - however I also checked the personal items which seems to work OK without crash - you get the interface labelled ransack and have all the items and the trader none. So just the goods interface.

Attachments

• nevis crash.7z
    1.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
All I can say is that this problem was reported before and nothing was done to fix it yet.
It is rather a late-game issue, so I figure it is more worthwhile to focus on the early game issues first. :shrug

To reproduce the crash in 3.5 just put

Code:
LAi_IsCapturedLocation = true

in console, visit your friendly neighborhood store and execute console. Voila May help in due course with fixing it.

Fixed this. Turns out there were three "if !LAi_IsCapturedLocation" checks around 3 language switches in INTERFACE/store.c so when LAi_IsCapturedLocation was true there was no language selection at all. Here is an amended store.c for 3.5 which works for my home spun crash. I also did the same fix in 3.4 and @Grey Roger 's file carries on OK with no crash

Actually what I don't understand is how it ocassionally worked at all?

Attachments

• store.7z
    9.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
VERY NICE! :woot

I wonder what functionality is supposed to occur for a captured town.
Nothing for sale? Everything for free? :confused:

VERY NICE! :woot

I wonder what functionality is supposed to occur for a captured town.
Nothing for sale? Everything for free? :confused:

Code seems to give you everything (that your ships can carry) for free. I don't know if it is a one-time deal or whether you can keep coming back having sold your first fleetful (certainly ought to be once only).

Code seems to give you everything (that your ships can carry) for free. I don't know if it is a one-time deal or whether you can keep coming back having sold your first fleetful (certainly ought to be once only).
Should be, yes. I think the "captured" state gets restored after a while, but I'm not sure how well that works.

Back