• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Animists counted as pirates?

Dextr

Sailor
Regarding the "Strange things..." quest: animists' ships are actually counted as pirates'. Now according to the storyline this should not be, since they are actually hostile to the Brotherhood as well, just as the Bonnaire pirate leader tells ye. Isn't there a way to treat them as an entity, hostile to everyone else?

Ships have to belong to a nation of some kind. Otherwise the game doesn't seem to understand.

It must be possible to add a nation to the game because the USA didn't exist in earlier builds, it's been added. Add another one. :)

Alternatively, the USA doesn't exist in earlier time periods within the game. Can it be changed into Animists for the purposes of "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and "Brave Black Flag"?

If I recall, there are only two animist ships ever in the whole game. Why is this suddenly a concern?

Adding a new nation is a LOT of work. Perhaps we could hyjack the non-existent USA for that purpose, but even that would require quite a lot of time and effort.
Who is going to be doing that? Especially since someone still needs to work through the actual bugs and unfinished features that we know of.
And we don't even have anyone to do that. :facepalm

USA was added when Portugal was dropped.
Portugal is never dropped; they're always there.
The USA are purely in addition. Though, if I recall, Portugal doesn't have any islands in the later time periods.
Still, their ships do show up on the worldmap and they've got a "governor" on their old island.

Uh, not exactly a concern, but the thing is that when you play for the Brotherhood it is not very convenient to engage friendly ships due to points loss. This, of course, is not that vital, still, just wanted to make sure whether it is possible.

If you hoist a non-pirate flag before attacking the animists, I don't think you lose any points for it.

That's the thing, you actually do! Besides, changing flags is not always convenient because a lot of ships tend to hang around Barbados and Puerto Rico, and messing things up in a fight by getting additional foes in not exactly the best idea.

BTW, animists were ALWAYS hostile in the stock game.

A lot has changed since then. I tried to do the opposite a while back: To make the Black Pearl friendly again when you encounter her off Martinique.
Wouldn't work. Had to "fake" it somehow and even then I'm not sure if it does what I want it to.

Since Brave Black Flag is set up as a pirate story, perhaps we can just set those particular ships to another nation.
Maybe some evil English Illuminati or something? That wouldn't be so hard, but still requires someone to actually do it.
@Jason Maffettone: It's your story; any thoughts?

Who the hell are these Animists anyway? I don't recall running into them in my play throughs.

Monks in red robes. You should have met them if you've played "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and done the "Strange Things Happening in the Archipelago" side quest.

BTW, aside from animists I have a small bug right at the BBF starting - if you select a high tier ship, for example the Dutchman, the player's unaile to walk and do things, unless you pick the line "I remember everything...". I believe the same issue was actually reported some time ago with regard to Tales of Sea Hawk, just thought you should know.

That was reported on the Standard storyline too. Must be a bug in there somewhere, but the work-around is simple enough: Don't select a huge ship.
You can't do that unless the Cheatmode is on anyway. And you can always use PROGRAM\console.c to give you whichever ship you want.

I remember reporting that. xD and the temporary work-around with not proceeding with the tutorial to be able to move again in the Standard storyline. :monkeydance

Back