• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Animists lair

BigBoi

Powder Monkey
So, i kill all of the animists, and the dark teacher speaks to me and after that he doesnt attack, i attack him while he's unarmed and the game always crashes.. any error log i can send?

So, i kill all of the animists, and the dark teacher speaks to me and after that he doesnt attack, i attack him while he's unarmed and the game always crashes.. any error log i can send?
If he does not attack, then why on God's Green Earth are YOU attacking?!?
I'd crash too if I were the engine in that scenario!

Code:
*creak*
DOES NOT COMPUTE - DOES NOT COMPUTE
*creak*

Have you been altering settings in the "Options" menu during the game? One of the settings is for the mod which enables weapons qualities. The last time someone reported an error like this, it was because the player had started the game with the weapon quality mod enabled, then during the game had gone into "Options" and disabled it.

At the start of the game, if the weapon mod is enabled, Dark Teacher gets a fine quality sword; if it's not, he gets a basic sword. When you face him, he tries to equip his sword, which no longer exists if you have disabled the weapon mod during the game. So he fails to equip his sword and is unarmed. When you kill an enemy, you automatically loot his sword, except that it doesn't exist now, and that's why the game crashed for this other player.

That's exactly what i thought, so i turned it back on a couple saves back but he didn't appear to have the sword again.
Is there a console command in which i can insert a sword into his inventory?
Also, is this bug connected to other quests as well? Should i just abandon this playthrough entirely?

I also don't understand one thing, why does the dark teacher get assigned weapons at the beginning of the game? If the game is coded in an object-oriented language, shouldn't he be instantiated only when i enter the only location where he's needed?

Last edited:
Here's where the problem was reported before, including a console file to give him a basic sword:
Bug - Game crashes when I kill The Dark Teacher

Characters are usually assigned weapons in their definitions, which are always read at the start of the game. As far as I know, nobody has reported similar problems with any other quest. But then, people don't usually change this setting during the game. ;)

Thanks for the help! Also, will i be able to give him Squall? His original sword? I really wanted to see its' stats in the buildmod haha
I changed the setting because all of the weapons started cluttering my inventory and i got tired of scrolling to sell off everything

Edit: Nvm, the katana is OP :D

Last edited:
@BigBoi: here's something else to try. Make a safe copy of "PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c" in case this doesn't work. Then put this version in its place. Load your savegame from before you used that console file, leave the weapons mod disabled, and see what happens if you now go to fight Dark Teacher.

The squall is renamed "Asiatic Broadsword", is no longer unique to Dark Teacher, and probably has different stats to the original game. The katana was originally added for a different reason and was somewhat less powerful. When the original reason for its existence disappeared, we found other uses for it, and more recently improved its stats. And so Dark Teacher once again has a powerful sword not available in general gameplay.

Attachments

• quests_side.c
    751.5 KB · Views: 47
Back