• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Any Dinghy start creates a weird invisible item near the chest (not inside)

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
Quoting this thread, where I posted a saved game: Fixed - Castaway start gets error papers in ship chest and weird invisible item near chest | PiratesAhoy!

Should have posted as a seperate bug report back then, here it is again:

2) There is a weird unretrivable invisible item near the ship chest. You get a hand icon over it, but no actual item gets picked up when hitting spacebar, and I can't see an item.

This persists as you change ships, as long as the ship has the smallest (lugger or sloop style) interior scene.

Perhaps, what is happening is because the castaway starts with one of those, the dinghy, but his version has no cabin, something gets messed up when you trade up to a real one, with some item persisting perhaps?

EDIT: Confirmed it is caused by the Dinghy. Started with a swordmaster with the dinghy ship, cheated and bought an immediate upgrade to a lugger, weird item is there.

EDIT2: Also confirmed the weird invisible item persists any time the player trades ships to a small sloop/lugger interior ship. It goes away if you go to a different interior scene ship, and then returns if you purchase the smaller scene again. It does not exist for officer commanded small interior scene ships.

So it seems some permanent modification of that ship scene occurs for the player controlled ship.

Is it in the spot where you normally pick up the player sword during the tutorial?

Pieter, it is right on top of the chest it seems, from where the hand icon appears (but the item itself is invisible and nonexistent, pressing space bar does nothing).

Only seems to occur in a dinghy start, but always with one regardless of character background.

Since a Dinghy doesn't have a cabin, what ship are you getting that does have a cabin where this bug occurs?
Also, any chance of a screenshot?

Hi Pieter,

Any ship with the same sloop/Lugger style scenes works. And it persists through upgrades.

But you have to start with a dinghy to trigger it. Basically, the dinghy not having the cabin fouls up your later ships that do have one

As a weapon master, started with a dinghy. Cheated fast traveled to ship, then to town, and bought Lugger immediately. The item was there. Upgraded to a bark, with a larger interior scene, no item. Upgraded back to a sloop, and the item is there again.

I can't make a screenshot now, because I can't turn on the game. But I can make one for you tonight if you need it and post back. Alternatively, the saved game I posted in the thread link will demonstrate this (saved right in front of my boat).

Attached saved game: Fixed - Castaway start gets error papers in ship chest and weird invisible item near chest | PiratesAhoy!

I can also tell you exactly what the screenshot will consist of: you are standing in front of the chest, facing a bit to the right, and there is a hand icon in the upper left. However, no item is visible, and pressing space bar does nothing.

Let me know if you need me to get you the screenshot tonight, or if the saved game and description are enough,

Save yourself the trouble. Will see what I can do. Uhm.... once I find the time, that is.

Haha, of course.

The item hasn't caused any real trouble, and will be gone when I upgrade to a bigger ship anyway. ;)

Haha, in general, my captain's cabin was just all fouled up. Locked icon on door, invisible item here, error papers in chest (though thankfully you solved that one). But none of the problems causesd anything to go wrong elsewhere yet, and don't seem likely to do so, so I don't mind much. :)

Started a new game using Julian McAllister, but changed to get a Dinghey and be a Swordmaster.
Talk to Malcolm, skip tutorial, go to shore, use console to give myself Sloop1/Lugger1, get this:
upload_2016-8-31_18-4-59.png

I assume that's what you meant?

Weird indeed. According to compile.log, there was a "blade1" there, but it wouldn't let me pick it up.

In the Ship location init file:
Code:
Locations[n].items.randitem1 = "blade1";

And in Standard/Free Play StartStoryline.c:
Code:
  string cabinID = GetCharacterShipCabin(PChar);
   rldGroup = "rld";
   rldLocator = "startloc";
   if (cabinID != "Cabin_none") {
     iShipCaptain = GetMainCharacterIndex();
     SetUpCabin(PChar);
     if (cabinID != "Tutorial_Deck") TutDeck.items.randitem1 = ""; // <------------- SEE THERE ----------------
   } else {
     SetModelFromID(ch, "Corsair5");
     iShipCaptain = sti(ch.index);
     SetUpCabin(GetCharacter(iShipCaptain));
     rldGroup = "reload";
     rldLocator = "reload1";
   }

Those are the only references that I could find to it.

Strangely enough, these console commands wouldn't get rid of it though, even after reloading to another location:
Code:
   ref TutDeck = &Locations[FindLocation("Tutorial_Deck")];
   TutDeck.items.randitem1 = "";
Or:
Code:
   ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation(pchar.location)];
   DeleteAttribute(lcn, "items");

So bit mysterious there, but it must be related to something above.
Suggestion: Remove that line from the init file, then try again.

@Pieter Boelen

Confirmed it works! No item on new starts (obviously on current starts it remains, but it seems harmless anyway).

File with line deleted attached.

Attachments

• Ship.c
    40.1 KB · Views: 161
Then the main problem left is that the line is there on purpose for tutorial reasons.
Used to be anyway.

So can you still complete the tutorial then? Or is your sword always in your chest now anyway, regardless of what ship you start with?

I skipped the tutorial actually as I was testing with a castaway to test the other bug as well, I had better test again.

I'll have to test again with a normal start and run through the tutorial tonight or tomorrow night when I am back at computer. :)

@Grey Roger, @Talisman and/or @anyone else: Could you possibly confirm if the sword on the desk in the "stock game tutorial cabin" location is NOT required to complete the tutorial anymore?
If so, this would be a quick fix. If not, it would require a bit more thought.

Low Priority though.

Back