• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

AOP COAS Engine CTD

Hero540

Landlubber
Hey guys. So...here's the deal.

I recently purchased Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships. I installed the program, then I installed Gentlemen of Fortune and the GoF patch. When I enter the game everything runs normally. I had to use the RPG Utilitie to prevent myself from be stuck on the gundeck at the very start. Finally I progress my character to port where I can bolster crew, hire officers, make repairs, all that fun jazz.

When I finish my tasks in port here's where the trouble starts: Whenever I go to sea, the page sometimes loads up and I'm aboard my ship in the 3D map. I can sail about for a few minutes, and then when I attempt to load the 2D map the game crashes to desktop with an error message about a file called Engine something or 'nother. Can't remember if it's Engine.exe or just Engine. Always Engine (exe?) has stopped working.

Sometimes I can't even get to my vessel in the 3D view. Clicking to go to the ship from the dock will sometimes give me a CTD

Again, fresh install of the vanilla game with the GoF Mod and GoF Patch 1.1

System Specs:

Toshiba Satellite 2.2 GHZ dual core processor
Windows Vista (COAS set to run under compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2 also set to run as an administrator)
3GB of RAM
128MB ATI Radeon X1250 graphics card.

Anyone know of what else I could possibly due to resolve this? Uninstalls with Fresh Reinstalls of the game have solved nothing. Should I patch the Vanilla game BEFORE I add the Gentlemen of Fortune Mod?

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

As far as i know there is'nt a patch for CoaS. It ships as ver 1.3.
Your Toshiba Satelite should be an notebook with onboard graphics.

You can try to raise the shared memory value in the BIOS as i think you will need more as 128mb of RAM for your graphicschip. Espacially with GoF.
Thats the only clue i have for you. Maybe someone other has better ideas...

Good luck!

Ahoy Jace Riggs, welcome aboard mate. :dance

Your graphics chipset should be able to handle the CoAS graphics engine, though just barely. Nightwatcher is correct, there is no patch for the game and it is likely there will probably never be one. I also agree that you definitely need to increase the amount of memory your video card is using. This should be easily done in your BIOS, it probably has a max of 1 gig, but I am not sure without knowing your laptop model number. Unfortunately that means you will have to decrease your overall system memory, so you want to make sure that you have as few background processes running as possible. I would recommend upgrading your laptop at least to a full 4 gig if you can. If your using 64 bit Vista, you may want to increase it even more.

Also, if you have the game installed to the default directory of C:\Program Files\, it would be a good idea to move it to somewhere such as c:\games\, otherwise Vista's "security measures"( :rolleyes: ) will prevent the game from running properly, even when ran as administrator. This game is also rather picky sometimes about the way files are placed on your hard drive. Try defragging your hard drive and see if that helps.

Thank you gentlemen for the quick replies. I unfortunately do not know how to acess my bios or how to increase the memory my chipset is using. Would I acess bios during startup? I think my lappy is already playing with 1Gig of shared graphics memory, but my only reference to that "proof" is system requiresments lab's analysis of my system, and I hear they can be a bit shaky.

I wonder...the game would start up and run quite smooth, fastest I've ever really had a game look good and play on my system, so I never really did change the graphics settings in the game, and they were defaulted to medium-medium high. In fact, everything was way up. Would that be part of the problem? I could turn everything way down.

Also, I was installing the game to the default c:/program files directory, so I'll go ahead and attempt to install it outside of that after a quick defragmentation.

OH! And before I forget...my laptop model is the Satellite L305D-S5895

Thank you again guys. I just need some help getting into my BIOS. Sadly, I dunno how to do that. :shrug

I would bet money that getting CoAS out of your program files directory will take care of it, but increasing your graphics memory sure wouldn't hurt! Pressing F2 during boot should get you into your BIOS, at least it works on my Toshiba, but I have a P505D. There may actually be a Toshiba utility to do it from within Windows it's self, but I am not sure, have a look for Toshiba Hardware Setup.

I use a handy little program called Speccy to check system specs. It is accurate, and best of all it is completely free! You can downlaod it from HERE!

How much memory do you have dedicated to VM and VA? In XP mode, you are very limitted on how much RAM your machine is actually assigning to gameplay. I would max out VM and VA. I'd bet it runs right if you max it - even with a 128MB card.

MK

How much memory do you have dedicated to VM and VA? In XP mode, you are very limitted on how much RAM your machine is actually assigning to gameplay. I would max out VM and VA. I'd bet it runs right if you max it - even with a 128MB card.

MK

Im having an engine error to, I have been upgrading alot in ships lately and when I board a big ship, like a heavy lineship or battle ship, I kill everyone, kill the captain, swap the ship and exit, well this is where my problem comes, I get a "ENGINE has stopped working" error... And I try reloading and taking the same ship again, same error, also I get it in storms near land...

Back