• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Applicant looking for where best to help (Plus, news about Ron Losey)

Mask

HoO Team Member
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Support
Quest Writer
Greetings to the Pirates Ahoy community.

A friend named Ron Losey alerted me to this fine project. From what I've heard, he was well known among you, and sends his regards. He also said that he plans to come over and join in the development process soon.

I would like to make myself useful to you, and am currently in the process of working out how I might be of help.

[Coordinating]
I have coordinated some projects in the past. If it is not troublesome to ask, I would like to hear about any minor roles involving work as a Coordinator.
If this is a task reserved for senior members of the community, I apologize for asking.

[Creative Support]
Creative Support and Brainstorming is something that I am practised with. I shall read through the threads in the Brainstorming board, and post anything I consider relevant and helpful to the team.

[Programming]
My skill with coding is rather low, and I have not used the Unreal Engine before. If it is not unreasonable, I would like to ask about any very minor jobs a novice coder might be able to perform. If I feel that I am too inexperienced to do a job adequate to the quality you are aiming for with this game, I will remove myself from where harm might be done.

[Quest Brainstorming]
I am currently working on a writing project, and would not be able to divert my full attention to writing quests at this time. Since this stage of the project is primarily brainstorming and ideas, I can still be of service is this area. Once my writing project is complete, I will be able to help with quest writing on a deeper level.

[Quality Control]
For some while, I will have limited time for activities such as bug hunting. At a later date, I would like to be of assistance in this manner.
More for the sake of curiosity, I was wondering what expertise you are looking for in your Quality Advisers? I make no assumption that I'd be capable of such, of course--please forgive the odd question.

[Game Promotion]
Though I am not skilled in this subject, I do know people I can tell about the project, and some who are skilled that I could attempt to recruit. This section isn't to state my qualifications, but to ask if there's anything I should know about what kinds of talent you want recruited for the project?

Thank you for your time. I hope to get along with the community here and, in some small way, help this game to reach its full potential.

Ahoy and welcome! :ahoy

Thanks for offering your help; I'm sure your contributions will be appreciated.
I'm not sure what kind of 'minor roles' we could offer in terms of coordination and/or programming. We'll have to see what some of those groups' members think.
(By the way, we don't limit any of these roles to senior community members; that limitation only applies to moderators and admins.)
In the meantime, I'll add you to the Creative Support group, since I know you've already started posting in various threads. :doff

I suppose the kind of expertise we'd like in the QC Advisers group is anything which is relevant and can help to enrich the project in some way.
For example, Post Captain has experience in sailing aboard a square-rigged vessel, so can advise us on realistic sailing techniques, as well as making sure our ship models are accurate.

As for the kinds of talent we're looking for, based on our current team, I'd say it's mainly 3D modellers we need (though all other positions are still open).
The reason is of course that we need a LOT of content to be produced for the game, such as character models, buildings, weapons and ships.
We have a fair amount of talented and experienced ship modellers, and comparatively less for other areas such as architecture and characters.

I'm not familiar with a member named Ron Losey, but I suspect some of our long-time members may remember him. Either way, it's great to hear of a former member wanting to return!

Hi Armada. Thank you for replying to my application.

Do you have any suggestions for which members I should contact to ask about minor roles?

Thank you for adding me to Creative Support. It seems I came on at a quiet time of the week, since the idea board isn't as active as earlier. Will look through some of the older threads, to see what has already been suggested and what may have been missed out consideration. Shall also continue posting anything which seems helpful.

Thank you for explaining what the Quality Control Adviser is for. Are you looking for any particular kinds of experts, at this time? I might know some people who know people, if you're lucky--but I feel most of your bases are likely covered.

Hmm... 3D modellers... I know somewhere I can ask around, but I can't remember any particu--... actually, I do know someone who knows someone in this case. But, I've no idea if I'll get a positive response. Here's hoping.

Not familiar enough with the community to know who might know him, specifically. He'll show up soon enough, so he can catch up with the senior members.

Ron made some pretty cool changes to the Build mod weapons systems. If I remember correctly, he was a passionate kind of guy and didn´t shy away from an argument (in a good way). Would be nice to have him back.

Oh, and welcome Mask! :)

Ron will be over here before long. Looking forward to working with him.

Thank you for the welcome, Brava. It is good to meet you.

I can't really suggest anyone who could offer specific minor roles at this time, since progress is currently slow and a few people are short on time.
You'll have to wait until things pick up again, and we start to coordinate the groups more effectively.

As for experts, we're not really looking for specific areas of expertise at the moment, but of course we'll accept any useful offers. What did you have in mind?

Coordinators: At the moment, I'm the only coordinator who is actively coordinating, and there isn't much to keep my occupied. We might need help later, but right now we're running at one third capacity without any difficulty whatsoever.

QC: Someone who is familiar with the politics of the the 18th century would be useful, especially around the Seven Year's War period.

Coordinators: At the moment, I'm the only coordinator who is actively coordinating, and there isn't much to keep my occupied. We might need help later, but right now we're running at one third capacity without any difficulty whatsoever.

QC: Someone who is familiar with the politics of the the 18th century would be useful, especially around the Seven Year's War period.
OK, thank you for informing me.

I'll ask around and see what comes up.

Welcome, Mask! :doff

Indeed I definitely remember Ron Losey and it's good to hear he hasn't forgotten about us just yet.
I definitely remember some interesting arguments too, but they were all for the better, I'm sure.
It'll be great to see another old-timer back in these waters. :woot

Thank you for the welcome, Pieter. Over the past few days, I have endeavoured to make myself of use. I hope this has come to good effect.

Ron might've said he looked over the project, recently. Am also looking forward to him joining the boards.

Back