• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ardent Storyline - Mysterious Plants side quest - Game crashes on Depart To Columbia for Apothecary

salonikasurf

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Ardent Storyline - Mysterious Plants side quest - Game crashes on Depart To Columbia for Apothecary - no error log is generated.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Barbados. Barbados lighthouse.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
If there is no "error.log", could you upload "compile.log" and "system.log" immediately after the crash?

When you arrived at Cartagena, did Robert Cook talk to you, or did the game crash before he could talk?

Load your last saved game before going to Cartagena. Instead of following "Mysterious Plants", see what happens if you sail to Cartagena normally. That should show whether the problem is with Cartagena itself or with "Mysterious Plants".

Where are you in the "Ardent" storyline?

Ardent Storyline - Mysterious Plants side quest - Game crashes on Depart To Columbia for Apothecary - no error log is generated.
Your attached save reports as a bad file for me. Do you have an earlier one? at the very least there should be an auto-quicksave in front of the warehouse (because that next scene has always been flaky)

When you arrived at Cartagena, did Robert Cook talk to you, or did the game crash before he could talk?

Load your last saved game before going to Cartagena. Instead of following "Mysterious Plants", see what happens if you sail to Cartagena normally. That should show whether the problem is with Cartagena itself or with "Mysterious Plants".

Where are you in the "Ardent" storyline?
The loading screen flashes with the picture of the Cartegena port but crashes right after prior to the scene loading. I have tried manually sailing to the port and this all works normally. I am at the point of going from Antigua to arrest Piers Downing at Point a Pitre.
I have tried this side quest a couple of times at various stages of the Ardent storyline - I have previously purchased Ayahuasca on Aruba earlier in the game.

@pedrwyth - I attach another zip file just prior to talking to Robert Cook at the Lighthouse

Attachments

• -=Player=- Barbados. Barbados lighthouse. May 10th, 1693 1.7z
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Try this version of "PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c". Make sure to copy the existing one to somewhere safe first, partly in case this one doesn't work but mainly because this one is just an experiment to try to see what is going wrong.

It splits case "Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary" into two pieces. Talk to Robert Cook, teleport to Cartagena, then if the game crashes again (which it probably will as this file doesn't do anything to try to fix it), upload "compile.log" again.

@Grey Roger
Please find attached the compile.log file as requested. It did crash as you mentioned. I removed Lucia first from my passenger list.

Attachments

• compile.log
    75.1 KB · Views: 17
I've changed the file in my previous post. Download it again, then try it again.

I've changed the file in my previous post. Download it again, then try it again.
Looks like it has been deleted from your previous post?

Got it now.

Tried it again, game won't start due to a compile error:
"[2024-02-21 22:18:54.206] [error] [error] COMPILE ERROR in <no debug information>(4324): Undeclared identifier: To"

Last edited:
Odd - I thought I'd re-added it. I've tried again and the file definitely seems to be there now.

@Grey Roger
Tried it again, game won't start due to a compile error:
"[2024-02-21 22:18:54.206] [error] [error] COMPILE ERROR in <no debug information>(4324): Undeclared identifier: To"

@Grey Roger
Changed lines 2211 etc as follows;
PChar.quest.Sail_To_Cartagena_for_Apothecary2.win_condition.l1 = "location";
PChar.quest.Sail_To_Cartagena_for_Apothecary2.win_condition.l1.location = "Cartagena_port";
PChar.quest.Sail_To_Cartagena_for_Apothecary2.win_condition = "Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary2";
Game ran with above changes and new compile.log attached

Attachments

• compile.log
    73.6 KB · Views: 13
Try again now. Normally when I'm setting up a location-based trigger, I copy the name of the quest case being triggered into the trigger:
Code:
            PChar.quest.Sail_To_Cartagena_for_Apothecary2.win_condition.l1 = "location";
            PChar.quest.Sail_To_Cartagena_for_Apothecary2.win_condition.l1.location = "Cartagena_port";
            PChar.quest.Sail_To_Cartagena_for_Apothecary2.win_condition = "Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary2";
That one should work. The earlier version had:
Code:
PChar.quest.Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary2.win_condition = "Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary2";
And the game didn't like the spaces in the code, though it tolerates them in quest case names.

Edit: while I was typing that, you were making the exact same correction!

OK, so splitting case "Sail to Cartagena for Apothecary" didn't help. The game now gets as far as "Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary2" and then crashes. So here's the original version with most of case "Sail to Cartagena for Apothecary" commented out. If you use this, you should get as far as Cartagena port. Then the quest breaks because the next part is triggered by dialog with Robert Cook, and the part which places him and makes him talk is in the commented out section.

All that "Sail to Cartagena for Apothecary" does in this version is teleports you to Cartagena (and disables fast travel). If that still crashes the game, I'm stumped.

Attachments

• quests_side.c
    754 KB · Views: 11
OK, so splitting case "Sail to Cartagena for Apothecary" didn't help. The game now gets as far as "Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary2" and then crashes. So here's the original version with most of case "Sail to Cartagena for Apothecary" commented out. If you use this, you should get as far as Cartagena port. Then the quest breaks because the next part is triggered by dialog with Robert Cook, and the part which places him and makes him talk is in the commented out section.

All that "Sail to Cartagena for Apothecary" does in this version is teleports you to Cartagena (and disables fast travel). If that still crashes the game, I'm stumped.
It crashed again. I did notice that there seems to be a hick-up in the dialog between Robert Cook and CA. I have not been able to find the "Robert Cook_dialog.c" for this sidequest. He only comes up in the Devlin Opera storyline folder???? Any idea where this dialogue could be found?

Your help is always appreciated.

Edit: found it "apothecary_quest.c"
will have to check this tomorrow night (after midnight now and work tomorrow)
Thanks again

Last edited:
@Grey Roger
Got it to load and can progress the game by changing line 2201
LAi_QuestDelay("Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary",12); //Changed ("Depart To Columbia Fade",6) to ("Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary",12)

Don't know yet what the issue is with the Columbia fade section. One for tomorrow night.

You should probably also move this line:
Code:
Locations[FindLocation("Cartagena_port")].vcskip = true;
... from "Depart To Columbia Fade" up to "Depart To Columbia for Apothecary" to prevent random walkers from appearing in Cartagena Port in the next scene. And in case "Return to Greenford for Apothecary", add:
Code:
DeleteAttribute(&Locations[FindLocation("Cartagena_port")],"vcskip");
... so that they can appear again after the quest has finished with Cartagena.

'LAi_Fade("Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary", "")' is presumably meant to fade the screen to make a nice transition. But doesn't 'DoQuestReloadToLocation("Cartagena_port","reload","reload1","_");' do that anyway?

@Grey Roger
Got it to load and can progress the game by changing line 2201
LAi_QuestDelay("Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary",12); //Changed ("Depart To Columbia Fade",6) to ("Sail To Cartagena for Apothecary",12)

Don't know yet what the issue is with the Columbia fade section. One for tomorrow night.
This was a known issue with Beyond New Horizons.
@Sebrian had submitted a fix that works on the Discord.
It's basically the solution you found too.
@Hammie tells us that BNH has trouble with fades and reloads overlapping...

@pedrwyth - I attach another zip file just prior to talking to Robert Cook at the Lighthouse
Thanks for the save. I'm behind the solution on this one, I had wondered if it was the saving of pchar ships and companions so switched that out but no it was the previous fade case you identified so that needs changing for BNH at least.
Edit: found it "apothecary_quest.c"
will have to check this tomorrow night (after midnight now and work tomorrow)
Yes that file is a right pain being used by about 10 distinct characters .

Glad you found what you needed.

Back