• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Assassin's Creed 3 Preview at PCGamesN!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I ran across a relatively new gaming news site today called PCGamesN, apparently they have been around since June and have a staff that has a lot of experience and has worked at some of the other major gaming news sites over the years. What caught my attention was an article posted this morning on Assassin's Creed 3 by Steve Hogarty. Apparently he actually got to play through an early build of the game and he gives his thoughts on it. As we have suspected, the naval aspect of the game is really just an addon to the game, in fact he mentions that the whole naval aspect is mostly optional, with only a couple of missions critical to the story. There are also some other juicy tidbits in the article, such as one of the missions involves looking for Captain Kidd's buried treasure, and the fact that you can pet dogs and pigs!

But I already know how that story goes, so instead I seek out some of Assassin's Creed 3's optional (mostly, a couple are critical to the story) naval missions. Connor can now captain his own vessel in a radically simplified yet stomach-turningly convincing representation of naval combat, with his ship lurching and swaying on rocking waves whipped up by the game’s dynamic weather system. It’s an odd diversion from the on-foot parkour clambering, but it works really well. The camera is positioned just behind the helm and swings nauseatingly to the left and right, following the aim of the ship’s powerful swivel gun. This weapon can destroy most ships in a 360 degree arc, reducing the need for most of the laborious manoeuvring of actual naval warfare.

Your cannon, on the other hand, are locked in position, capable of firing only to the sides but packing significantly bigger metal balls than your swivel gun. The mission I played had our crew attempting to reclaim Martha’s Vineyard (one of the five place names in the USA with a possessive apostrophe, Wikipedia informs) by pummeling its defences with our cannon, strafing up and down along the coast until all three towers fell. Meanwhile we dodged incoming fire by half-ducking behind some barrels as the shots landed around the ship, presumably an authentic military tactic of the day.

You can read the full article over on PCGamesN HERE!

Attachments

• Assassins-Creed-3-Logo.jpg
    Assassins-Creed-3-Logo.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
"...following the aim of the ship’s powerful swivel gun. This weapon can destroy most ships in a 360 degree arc, reducing the need for most of the laborious manoeuvring of actual naval warfare... Meanwhile we dodged incoming fire by half-ducking behind some barrels as the shots landed around the ship, presumably an authentic military tactic of the day." MULTIPLE LOUD DRUNK RASPBERRY NOISES HEARD HERE { }

Back