• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Assassin's Creed: Rogue

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
For those that aren't aware, Ubisoft is releasing another AC game this year that features a piratey setting and naval gameplay, similar to AC4: Black Flag released last year.

In AC: Rogue you play as Shay Patrick Cormac, an Irish Templar (yes, one of the bad guys) who left the Assassin's order and is now fighting against them. Gameplay takes place mainly in the Arctic region and parts of North America, with the player commanding the Morrigan, a smaller, more agile ship than AC4's Jackdaw (but still with a big ram on the front).

The interesting thing about this game? It's set in the Seven Years' War, making it (probably) the only other pirate game out there that will share the same time setting as Hearts of Oak's first release.
This will inevitably put the war in the spotlight of millions of gamers out there, which may, in fact, be a good thing for HoO.

Anyway, here's a gameplay demo of Rogue straight from Gamescom:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/08/14/assassins-creed-rogue-gameplay-demo-ign-live-gamescom-2014

And an article if you'd prefer to read about the game:
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/25...need_to_know_about_assassins_creed_rogue.html

If you enjoyed AC4, chances are you'll like Rogue. However, because of Ubisoft's odd strategy of releasing two AC games this year (the other being AC: Unity, set in Paris during the French Revolution, and built for next-gen and PC), Rogue is demoted to 'last-gen only' status. This means it will only be available on PS3 and Xbox 360, unfortunately.

If the current games industry is anything to go by, I suspect this game will eventually get a "remastered" version for PC, PS4 and Xbox One, but don't hold your breath.

I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy the presentation of these games and characters and voice acting. Hand to hand combat is fun(though I feel it became too simplified in AC4)and the Naval combat is fun, atmospheric and easy to jump into. These games are fun for the historical fiction and conspiracies but I emphasize the fiction part. Sometimes these games have gotten very offensive to me because though they have their disclaimer at the beginning of each game and though they explain that it is a fictional take on history, there are elements and an underlying theme in these games that are extremely biased. Comes off more like someone in ubisoft's ranks has a revisionist history agenda hiding behind the safe cover of fictional history. But that's a different discussion altogether.

Being demoted I don't think is a right way to put it. "Comet" was always intended to be current gen only so its good they're still keeping those folks in mind. Looking forward to both Unity and Rogue myself.

I hope they bring hand to hand combat back to the level of AC2 (not brotherhood but AC2) Its been my favorite form in these games so far balancing more control and more combat options making it more meaty and interesting and a bit more challenging. I'd like personally to see AC2 combat controls mixed with a tougher AI.

I forgot to mention that I appreciate their being creative and taking us to the North Atlantic. I'm happy there are those willing to take us to environments and settings that don't get attention in most games.

It looks like another fantasy game... They might as well have it set in the Southern Ocean around Antarctica. Now that would be cool.

Pure copy of Black Flag. Don't like it. It runs on about 25 fps wich is nuts..

Back